BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default "Agnostic" Marines

I was trying to have a conversation on twitter with one of my "new-to-40K MINIONS!" when the subject came up of which chapters actually don't worship the Emperor as a god. Problem was, I couldn't find proof of what chapters didn't. I'm thinking it's almost all chapters that are 1st & 2nd founding. Can anyone point me to a list of which LOYAL chapters don't practice Emperor-worship?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

I'm not aware of an official list, but I'm also not aware of any space marine chapter that worships the Emperor as a god.

Librarian

Indeed. While Chapters - such as the inappropriately named Silver Skulls (Bland Skulls more like) - will 'call upon the Emperor' or something like this, or believe themselves to be doing his divine will, the majority are just doing what their Primarches did - worship him as they would a father (lol) figure.
    Back after a few years absence. Please PM me any changes to how the forum works - I currently have no idea how to make line breaks, and this is quite important to me. >.>

The only chapter to worship the emperor as a god went chaos.

I do remember, particularly in the 3rd ed codex for marines, a section about how Space Marines revere the emperor as a great and powerful hero, a king of men and marines, but not a god, and the Horus Heresy series goes even further into this...

But let's not pretend that anything's fluff is ever entirely consistent. Words like "Holy" and "Divine" and "God-Emperor" are commonplace in space marine rhetoric; not to mention the strong "angels of death" theme about Space Marines which they self-perpetuate.

So some sources say they're merely reverent, other sources suggest God-worship. I don't think anyone's ever taken the time to knuckle down and decide which chapter is which.

Quote Originally Posted by Herald of Nurgle View Post
    Indeed. While Chapters - such as the inappropriately named Silver Skulls (Bland Skulls more like) - will 'call upon the Emperor' or something like this, or believe themselves to be doing his divine will, the majority are just doing what their Primarches did - worship him as they would a father (lol) figure.
    Electra complex ftw!
    letsagetabitarockin!

Chaplain

I don't know about an official list but wouldn't it be more likely that the later founding chapters were more likely to worship the Emperor as a god than the First Founding? After all, a few of the First Founding's earliest warriors would have known the Emperor personally (or at least seen him), but the further away in time you go from an event the more mythical it becomes.

Who are you more likely to think of as a god - a guy you can see and talk to or a mysterious force with no body?

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    I'm not aware of an official list, but I'm also not aware of any space marine chapter that worships the Emperor as a god.

I thought The Grey Knights worship The Emperor...

I am not sure though...
    Only in death does duty end...
    Imperial Guard W-8 L-16 D-7 Grey Knights(DH) W-6(1) L-8(5) D-3(1) Eldar W-1 L-3 T-1

I think I remeber seeing something that said the White Consuls do. Have you tried the[URL="http://www.lexicanum.com/"] Lexicanum[/URL]? Other than that, I have know idea.

Their rhetoric does not necessarily mean that they worship the Emperor as a God. Saying that they are going on a holy crusade doesn't mean they worship him. It means that it's their faith that drives them (Holy: having a spiritually pure quality
    And no matter if you believe him to be a god the title God-Emperor is something he has been given by trillions of people who do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast