BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I am not a big fan of how GW has implemented special characters. I would prefer that the special abilities, wargear, and stat bonuses be incorporated into the standard HQ choices of a codex. They could still highlight special characters with specific builds, but they should be built using the standard HQ choices.

However, given that GW has chosen the path they have, I do not care how my fellow player uses special characters, or counts-as versions of them. People should feel free to make armies however they want, using all the options in their codex. Meta-game taboos on using certain options in a codex, or whole categories of them, seems counterproductive to me.

Abbess Sanctorum

I don't have a problem with special characters, insomuch as I'm perfectly fine with killing them repeatedly.

However, I refuse to use them. They are not MY characters, and I will not use anyone else's characters for MY army. If I am to use any special characters, they will be houseruled versions of my own.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Melissia, out of curiosity what do you use for your HQ choices.

I figured people disliked seeing special characters because they are distinctive, and a pain in the arse.

I field Eldrad with my pointy heads often enough, and the sigh-and-eyeroll combo of my opponent is expected. They do this because they've seen him before, and they know what he does, and he's annoying and difficult to deal with.

If I fielded, say, Baharroth, a special character much less frequently used and who is less synonymous with migraine, I have no doubt my opponent would not care - or even be intrigued and enjoy the opportunity to shoot him down, even as he soaked up the sun's empowering rays.

It's the same as other rompastomp units, like the Nob-Bikers, or the Jetlock council, or (now) the Death Company Bonanza. "Special" characters who are common are boring and hard to deal with. Special characters which are not common will often not be so hard to deal with, and so cause less ire.

Brother-Sergeant

My primary army is imperial guard, which I find personally, doesn't need any special characters to be unique, competetive or fun.

When I see a special character its no big deal really. They either do something cool or devestating in the first turn, get blown to bits for it OR just add some beef to the steak so-to-speak. I love SCs though, because they add some cool options to an army that are really special and most are balanced anyway. If one character has an epic ability, his stats usually opposite them. However, most of my experience is in guard mind you, so I'm used to squishy humans.

Librarian

I like the way special characters change the function of your army

I don't like the way the characters have no options. simple gun swaps would have been all that was needed.

although i like the new simplicity of 5th edition, i still think they went the wrong way with dropping doctrines/chapter tactics etc, it was like removing the spice rack from our army cooking kitchen.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

The thing is, an opponent can sigh all they want, but every book/codex has its limitations. Eldar they have what, 3 HQ options--avatar, farseer , autarch.

An avatar the eldar have one for each of the major craftworlds, yet its a standard HQ choice! these are or should almost be as rare as SC, specially as they require an eldar sacrifice.

Why take a farseer when for a bit more you can get effectively a decent farseer?

Autarchs are the only nice option that you can customize a little bit more with wargear and thats it.

Then theres the phoneix lords half way between being HQ choice and SC.

Spam Units get boring too, but theirs no "taboo" agaisnt that lol. I just feel like im cheating when someone goes" oh your using a special character". In Recent codex's/books they have found their way into the normal FOC, but there is still a dissaproval/taboo feeling towards them from some players. I don't ask why they have 5 land raiders, or such, but i get to feel guilty about using one guy? lol

Veteran-Sergeant

First off, not all special characters are nearly the same. An SC like Belial isn't necessarily powerful, he's required to build a deathwing. Same with Sammael. A model like the Khan is the only way to have outflanking tactical squads.

Only a handful are among the strongest units in the game. Eldrad, Vulkan, and Possibly Fateweaver are great choices, guys like Sicarius or Yarrick are at best decent models.

All SCs in the current environment do is replicate the popular builds of the past. Yes, you see a lot of Vulkan today, but you saw how many terminator librarians with Fear/Fury in 4th, or Force Commanders with lightning claws and jump pack in 3rd?

My point is that there have always been common archtypes, and Special Characters simply kill two birds with one stone by representing them

Abbess Sanctorum

That's a long list. But let's see... for my Sisters army, I have three models, two of which are heavily modified.

• One is a Seraphim VSS with Power Weapon and Bolt Pistol (Canoness w/Blessed Weapon, Jump Pack, Bolt Pistol, Mantle*, Cloak, Book, Frag Grenades) for use joined to a squad of Seraphim.
    • One is a Veteran Sister Superior w/chainsword and Bolt Pistol (Canoness w/Eviscerator, Bolt Pistol, Cloak, Book), for use with a Celestian Retinue.
    • The final one is a basic Battle Sister w/Storm Bolter, painted to look like she has ornate armor (Canoness w/Storm Bolter, Book) for cheaper lists or the extra faith points.

*Mantle = Mantle of Ophelia, Cloak = Cloak of St. Aspira, Book = Book of St. Lucius

For my Ork army... I mostly use a Big Mek with Power Klaw and Kustom Force Field. I occasionally houserule a Kommando Nob HQ for a fun Blood Axez list.

For my Guard army, I have actually been using my Primaris Psyker more often recently... even if she isn't the best choice, I like the fluff behind Primaris Psykers (from Dark Heresy: Ascension mostly), converted from a Warmachine model. I also have a CCS and Lady Commissar, the latter using [url=http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/DEATH-KORPS-OF-KRIEG-COMMISSAR-2.html]this awesome model[/url].
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

I don't usually mind them, however the more recent ones to tend to irk me because they end up all too often simply being just plain *better* than equivalent HQ's on a point for point basis, making them no brainers and they end up getting spammed, they no longer become *special*, but rather *default* HQ's.

Vulkan versus a Captain is a good example, even if you kit out a captain to be as close as possible, it's only like 5pts less without the army-wide rerolls, heavy flamer, etc.

Now, not all SC's have this issue, but many do, which is my primary problem with them.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast