BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Gods and Gods, or Gods and gods?

Just a quick pondering....

So there's a much wider pantheon in the Age of Sigmar. We've got 5 Chaos Gods, albeit with 1 in absentia. These are of course Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeentch, The Great Horned Rat and Slaanesh. And these five are most definitely Gods in the traditional sense, replete with powers of creation etc.

Then we have the new Gods. Or should that be gods, noting the lower case 'g'.

See, they seem to be a breed apart from the Chaos Pantheon, mostly because they can exist/manifest within the Mortal Realms, and for seemingly indefinite periods - compare to Khorne, whom it seems can intercede, but not actively participate.

By my memory, that pantheon (working for now on the assumption it's separate entirely from the traditional one) comprises Sigmar, Alarielle, Grungni, Gorkamorka, Tyrion and Mallerion - and technically Grimnir, but he needs to pull himself together (boom boom!). So they definitely outnumber the Chaos Gods.....but are they anywhere near the same potency?

That Alarielle can mould life is clear - but despite The Lady of Vines (literally Alarielle's Right Hand), I, pretty sure she hasn't created life.

Sigmar has definitely created the Stormcast Eternals, but that's not exactly working from scratch in the way a Daemon is (they're imbued with a portion of his power, not formed of it).

The others we don't know a great deal about yet - or if we do, I've fergot!

So what exactly are Sigmar and Chums? Just incredibly potent immortals worshipped as deities (so gods), or bona fide, 'real space' Gods With A Capital G?

Weigh in with your thoughts and opinions
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

If you're counting other Incarnates, don't forget Nagash. He's practically the God of Death, though perhaps more "mortal" than a Chaos God.

Gorkamorka/Gork & Mork should be more powerful. I think that's a case of their schizophrenic writing, not knowing what they want to do with AoS's story. They're trying to keep it as a continuation of WFB's story. Okay, but then Gork and Mork were actually true gods, not just people who had a wind of magic shoved into their mortal body. So why would they suddenly be less powerful, especially if the Orcs are even more powerful than they were before? And of course there's the issue of them saying "it's sometimes one god, sometimes two gods," which feels less like an interesting point about the character and more like they realized too later that they'd mixed up parts of the fluff and had to explain the inconsistencies (IIRC, there's a "Fist of Mork/Gork" in the new Orcs, suggesting yet again that it's two gods still). Sigmar never should have been able to fight either of them to a stalemate, but did so for the narrative reason of he's the main Mary Sue and he can do whatever special stuff they want him to be able to do.

Ah... yeah. Bit of a rant, want to rant more, but I won't. Orcs are my main love, and seeing their gods reduced so low is annoying. It hurts my green pride. If I wasn't sitting in a cubicle I'd let out a WAAAAGH! of frustration.

I don't think Sigmar or Alarielle (or even Nagash) could take on one of the Chaos Gods and win one-on-one. The Incarnates still aren't proper gods on the level of the Chaos Gods, they're just really powerful mortals. The only reason it's any question at all is they kind of blurred the lines a bit to make the main characters more "exciting."

Yeah...hands up. I forgot Nagash....my bad!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I was shocked - shocked, I say! - to see him missing from the list. That dude's whole life goal has been to become a god, and now he's pretty much got control of the dead (and hates the Stormcasts and Chaos followers because they don't die properly like they should).

Librarian

Doesn't inability to manifest on the mortal planes leave something wanting in the way of omnipotence?

I can't really see why some gods are more godlike based on the things they cannot do.

www.GardenNinja.com

It's more a measure of influence, rather than outright power - if the two can be so neatly separated.

The 'Big Five' haven't traditionally been able to fully manifest in the mortal plane - they're bound by the same rules as Daemons, and there's just not enough juice to keep them manifest for any appreciable amount of time.

So for example, Khorne isn't able to just walk up to Gorkamorka and kick all his teeth out, Tzeentch can't sit down with Teclis (another I missed off the list!) to engage him in a game of riddles directly, and so on and so forth. But, they can tweak and twist reality to aid their underlings, swing their sword to effect a battle (as seen in End Times). But beyond that, they depends entirely upon Cats Paws - be that Archaon, or their Daemons, or their Mortal Hosts.

Now don't get me wrong, that influence is nothing to be sniffed at.

But, let's compare to Sigmar and The League Of Super Best Friends Who Had A Bit Of A Falling Out. They exist in the mortal realms. They can actively, physically and personally seek out the Champions of Chaos, and give them a bloody good going over all on their Jack Jones. Indeed, Sigmar and Nagash are expressly said to have done just that at the opening of the Age of Chaos.

Now, here's where we get to the more interesting bits.....it seems The Five cannot strike at their Mortal Plane Rivals directly - or else surely they'd have done so by now? Especially Sigmar. Yet Nagash was struck down by their Chosen, Archaon.

That Nagash didn't die doesn't mean an awful lot for getting a handle on the potency of the Mortal Realms Pantheon - I mean, he's Nagash, and he never has been one to let the destruction of his body stop him....

But that they didn't strike at Sigmar themselves, despite opportunity to do so? How to interpret that? Here's some initial thoughts to consider (but by no means all the possibles!)...

A) They don't have enough physical influence to strike down their rivals.
    B) Tzeentch caused it (never, ever rule that one out!)
    C) Gods can't kill Gods (different from A!)

There's a lot of pondering involved in this question

Brother-Captain

I think 'godhood' works as concentric rings. In the centre you have plain old mortals, who have no power beyond what is in their own skins and no influence beyond what they can personally do. The more powerful you get, the further outwards you move, but the powers are coupled with restrictions.

So the next ring would be the Incarnates as they were in the Old World. They have power from the Winds of Magic, they can do things beyond mortal abilities, and they wax or wane based on their Wind's strength... but they're still entirely killable and, short of the world ceasing to exist and throwing everything into chaos, they tend to STAY dead. Or at the very least have to be manually brought back by someone/something with the power to do so.

I'm not sure if any of the former Incarnates fall into this category currently, but Nagash's Mortarches seem to.

The next ring out would be some of the Incarnates and possibly Gorkamorka? (I'm half convinced the one mentioned is actually an avatar/favoured champion of Gork and Mork, and has taken the same name because how else to you impress orcs?) Now actually immortal, but still bound to the planes themselves. Young Gods, as it were. They have worshippers and gain strength from them and can perform feats of mythological skill, but can't travel to the rings further out. But they can still lead armies in person whenever they please, which is nice. I think Archaon is currently in this category. It may be arguable that Sigmar used to be by the End of Times, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

Stepping out another ring, we're hitting the realms of undisputed divinity. Beings that can directly affect the mortal realms, but seem to only do so at key moments with a lot of support, and are arguably bound so tightly to their home plane that it takes armies of worshippers or feats of grand summoning to allow them direct, unfiltered influence. Most of the time they act through proxies. This is where Sigmar currently is; he uses the Stormcast as his instruments rather than fighting at their head. The times he does fight directly are the stuff of legends. Dracothion belongs here too, and I'd argue that Nagash does as well. Gork and Mork should be on this level, and possibly are if GW sorts out their fluff. In the Old World this was the home of the Great Horned Rat, but he's now pushed up to the final level.

The most powerful and outermost ring is the home of the Chaos Gods. They have their own, independent realms that are formed of their very desires and can only be accessed with permission or great effort and have immeasurable amounts of power within them. The trade off is that they cannot manifest at all in the mortal realms; they simply cannot fit in the metaphysical sense, because the energy required to fully summon them is unobtainable. So everything they do must be conducted through proxies. They can push quite a lot of power into these proxies, so it isn't that much of a hindrance, but occasionally it blows up in their faces (hi Archaon). If one could eliminate their rivals nothing would be capable of standing in their way. Unfortunately everyone else knows this, and so the majority of their time and effort is spent fighting each other. Their pawns in the mortal realms are primarily to expand their influence and potential powerbase so that they may one day have the ability to cast down their rivals, but they'll work together to achieve a particularly potent goal like corrupting an entire world (generally because they think that once it is achieved, they'll be able to backstab the other Gods and claim it all for themselves).
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

See, this is where AoS's fluff gets messy, and why at some point they'll need to rewrite most of it to fix it.

You say "Tzeentch can't sit down with Teclis." Wait... but Tyrion and Malerion specifically went after Slaanesh to go find and fight Slaanesh. That means the Incarnates and Chaos Gods *can* exist on the same plane and interact. Especially if those two guys found Slaanesh and did something to Slaanesh. (Sorry, I'm not sure what pronoun is right when talking about a multi-gender deity.)

Then there's the weird thing with Gorkamorka (I like the concept that it's an avatar of the Orc gods rather than them manifest, and that *would* explain the two-or-one thing).

It seems they haven't yet made up their minds on who's a god or not, what the abilities of various characters are, any of that stuff.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    See, this is where AoS's fluff gets messy, and why at some point they'll need to rewrite most of it to fix it.

You say "Tzeentch can't sit down with Teclis." Wait... but Tyrion and Malerion specifically went after Slaanesh to go find and fight Slaanesh. That means the Incarnates and Chaos Gods *can* exist on the same plane and interact. Especially if those two guys found Slaanesh and did something to Slaanesh. (Sorry, I'm not sure what pronoun is right when talking about a multi-gender deity.)
    It only needs a rewrite if you think that sort of messiness is an issue. I get the impression that GW aren't trying to limit themselves with clear rules to their magic system.

Maybe that GW is going for a mythic approach. Gods in mythology are basically capable of whatever the story suggests- sometimes the immortals cannot be killed (imprisoned Loki) and sometimes they can (dead Baldur).

Probably, the chaos gods are the weaker ones- the only personal encounter that'd been had was a big loss for the chaos god.

So the incarnates are more powerful. Clearly.

www.GardenNinja.com

That's an interesting consideration.

Though when Slaanesh was Godnapped, he was absolutely full on Elf souls. He's also traditionally the weakest of The Four (though whether he has more power than The Great Horned Rat is another discussion).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast