BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Eldar D Weapons and Mixing Codecies.

This may have been covered before, but as a new BOLS forum member, I might've missed it. Eldar D Weapons are easy access in the new Craftworlds codex, and I'm discovering that it makes my Iyanden themed army pretty much unplayable. Why unplayable? Because my friends and I all used to enjoy a fun game, and we don't so much enjoy a one-sided death fest. Even as the player responsible for the death fest, I'm finding that winning all the time isn't as fun as you'd think. Switching up to jetbikes with S6 Scatter Lasers isn't exactly a compromise either, so my question is: as a long time Iyanden Eldar player, what's a guy to do?

Specifically, is it agreeable to run certain units' older rules while running the majority of your army from its current codex? I realize that with Wraith Cannons we're talking about the switch down from SD to S10, which doesn't sound like much but, in my experience it makes a massive difference on the table. Essentially, I'd like to step down my Wraithguard units while maintaining the current Craftworld relics, warlord traits, psychic powers, etc... I guess it'd be a house rule, but do you know if that would be allowed in organized play?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CryptCat View Post
    This may have been covered before, but as a new BOLS forum member, I might've missed it. Eldar D Weapons are easy access in the new Craftworlds codex, and I'm discovering that it makes my Iyanden themed army pretty much unplayable. Why unplayable? Because my friends and I all used to enjoy a fun game, and we don't so much enjoy a one-sided death fest. Even as the player responsible for the death fest, I'm finding that winning all the time isn't as fun as you'd think. Switching up to jetbikes with S6 Scatter Lasers isn't exactly a compromise either, so my question is: as a long time Iyanden Eldar player, what's a guy to do?
    That's more a Tactics question...

Specifically, is it agreeable to run certain units' older rules while running the majority of your army from its current codex? I realize that with Wraith Cannons we're talking about the switch down from SD to S10, which doesn't sound like much but, in my experience it makes a massive difference on the table. Essentially, I'd like to step down my Wraithguard units while maintaining the current Craftworld relics, warlord traits, psychic powers, etc... I guess it'd be a house rule, but do you know if that would be allowed in organized play?
    No, it is not generally agreeable. If you want to run units from an older codex, commit to using ALL the units from that older codex, at least in a detachment. That can be confusing, however.

The best example I can give is using Space Wolves Grey Hunters, Imperial Fist Devastator Squads, Blood Angels Assault Marines, and Deathwing Terminators in one Detachment. They are not from the same book, nor have permission to be used in one of the others' detachments. Putting them in different detachments is a bit more acceptable (if more challenging).

Of course, that is assuming people will let you run them from an older codex...

Chapter-Master

Umm - why not build an Eldar list with no:

Scatter bikes
    Ranged D
    Warp spiders.

Try for some footdar or Bieltan it a bit with Aspects.

It will not be autowin (or deathfest as you put it) and the challenge for you of not having the crutch units will probably make you a better player.

Finally, doing that will stop your friends being sad bear.

Or, you can totally consign their souls to Khaine. Enjoy!
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

as a long time Iyanden Eldar player, what's a guy to do?
    Do as I did, join the Pale Courts-bandwagon and rush'em with Wraithblades

(The Pale Courts Battlehost is in Imperial Armour 11, 2nd Ed.; basically a customizable Core-choice for the Warhost detachment, the options include one that allows you to play an Iyanden-esque List centred around Wraithblades and another which gives you something similar to the "Heroes of Iyanden"-rule - there are other taxes and boni of course and you sacrifice the ability to play Wraithguard outside the Wraith Host Formation, which can clock-in at 1000+ points)
    Last edited by 0rph3u5; 04-21-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Brother-Captain

You could house-rule distort weapons back to S:10.

Fluff-wise they should be D, but they aren't priced for it.

Ranged D is broken at standard game level its a tool best suited to Apocalypse or escalation type games.

Take the Knight as Sword and Board plus some those s6 ap2 cannons or Sun Cannon, don't upgrade the Barrage weapon to a D shot and don't take wraith guard

Keep units of warp spiders to 1 and only use Flicker jump once per game turn

Guardian Battle host is pretty effective in standard games with psyker support + Transport

Keep the jetbike spam & Psyker spam to reasonable levels

Chapter-Master

Don't put all scatter lasers on your jetbikes.

Term your friend to run Stern guard in drop pods Ave then weep as your wraithguard melt away.

Is it really difficult to stay more than 18" away from them so they can't shoot?
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Don't put all scatter lasers on your jetbikes.

Term your friend to run Stern guard in drop pods Ave then weep as your wraithguard melt away.

Is it really difficult to stay more than 18" away from them so they can't shoot?
    24 inches because in the wraith-host wraithguard get battle focus and with the greater eldar detachment they auto-run 6 inches
    Also wave serpents

If you have an Iyanden army that consists of mostly Wraithcannon wielding models, and you and your friends don't find that to be fun for your games, then of course you can change it back to S10. The GW secret police aren't going to bust down your door and stop your game because you're having bad-wrong-fun.