BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by TehPoon View Post
    wow man!!!!! any advise on green stuff mods? do i buy alot and mix it all, keep it moist, cut it with a knife? thats impressive!!
    The artscale marine tutorial on MasteroftheForge.com has been my main inspiration. This is my 11th big marine so I'm far from a pro but here are the things I've noticed and/or like when working with GS:

- Buy the Green Stuff where the blue and yellow are packed separate. I've used a lot of the tape and do not like it! There is too much trouble where the blue and yellow touch. I buy mine at the FLGS from the Gale Force Nine display. I use Grey stuff too. :-)

- Work on multiple models at one time. After you sculpt a single item or area set it aside and leave it until it has hardened. A lot of times this is overnight for me! This has been the hardest thing for me to do as I like to keep working. Every time I do I make one big mess out of things!

- Only mix the amount of Green Stuff you need. I'm slow so if I mix too much it hardens a little and won't stick for me by the time I get to it! For example I sculpted the 2 thighs at the same time but I only mixed one thigh at a time. After both looked good enough I set it aside and started working on something else.

- Cooking oil can be your friend. I used plasticard, a plastic bag and generous amounts of cooking oil to roll out the banner parts. Thanks goto Chrome from coolmini for helping me out with this. The cooking oil extended the drying time of the Green Stuff but it was invaluable for keeping the banner from sticking.

- I let my tools soak in a little pot of water while I work and keep eveything moist. Too much water is not your friend. You need enough to keep things smooth and from sticking but not so much that the Green stuff starts to turn a different color as it will cause it to not stick properly!

Best of luck with any mods. What are you thinking about working up?

Veteran-Sergeant

He really is quite big isnt he.
    The Greenstuff work is very nice and crisp looking.

Im looking to do some big marines myself and stuff like this is inspiring and intimidating in equal measures.

Cant wait to see this painted.

Brother-Sergeant

looks awesome
    40k in Aggieland-- PM me for info
    40k in Middle Tennessee

Chapter-Master

Wow I can't believe I haven't posted to this thread in so long! It took longer then I expected to paint up a 2000 point Dark Eldar army. Ah well such is life. Here are a couple of shots of the finished standard bearer. Please forgive my mediocre camera skills... :-)

Finished front: (Everything is freehanded.)

Almost finished back:

I have a couple of designs sketched out for the rear central red square but I haven't decided on the winner as of yet.

I'm currently upsizing Bjorn's claw arm and starting some long fangs. (They are proving to be 'long pains'!!!)

Any thoughts are welcome!

Cheers!
    Last edited by 40kGamer; 07-16-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Impressive
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

Librarian

Excellent!!!

The only bad thing I find is the legs... So clear, withouth any more detail, but the complete work is astonishing
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by MarneusCalgar View Post
    Excellent!!!

The only bad thing I find is the legs... So clear, withouth any more detail, but the complete work is astonishing

Thanks for the feedback guys!

MC has a good eye for missing details!

I want to try a subtle wolfhead pattern on the legs. I believe I saw the effect on a french golden daemon model a while back. Time got away from me and I needed him ready for a single model painting competition, so I haven't had a chance to practice the effect and get it on him. (That's also why I didn't get a design on the back of the banner yet.)

He managed to nab me first prize even though I don't consider him to be 100% complete! Another point of concern I have is that I will ultimately be painting 50-100 of these big puppies so the time per model may prove to be a killer! They already have 5-20 hours of design/sculpting invested in them.

I should have a test longfang ready after the weekend if I stay on target! I'm doing the scupting modifications on 20 figs at once. The green stuff isn't drying in all this humidity!

Chapter-Master

Well the first longfang is done enough for his photo op.

Here's a couple shots with a Howling Griffon for comparison...

[url=http://imgur.com/8gGBd.jpg][/url]

[url=http://imgur.com/5XNGx.jpg][/url]

And a couple close up of the big fella...

[url=http://imgur.com/FKV7M.jpg][/url]

Still a little clean up needed on some joins/mold lines but he gives a good idea of how the squad will look. The normal ML was too short so I had to steal the Guard version and make a few mods to it. (It was actually a little too long!) What are you gonna do?

Excellent. This will be one of the most impressive armies Ive seen when its done,

Hurry up!
    To a New Yorker like you a hero is some kinda weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers!

I can't wait till it's time for Rhinos. =P

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast