BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Will we get an 8th edition of 40k and what would it look like?

Hey Everyone,

The release of Angels of Death has left a bad taste in my mouth and along with other issues has me wishing for a revamp of the game. Traditionally we have have seen these kind of overhauls when editions change, most notably 2nd to 3rd. I have a bad feeling however that 7th might be the last (at least for a long while) edition that GW will put out. The amount of codices, supplements, and formations is so high that trying to update them would be a herculean effort. Compounding this problem is the fact that GW doesn't seem to want to put out new codices anymore or even update the ones that are tragically behind the times. I can't see them wanting to update the base rules anymore than they do the codices.

My questions for you are:
    Do you think we'll see an 8th edition of 40k? If we do how far down the road do you think it will be?

What do you think 8th edition should look like (ex. Refinement of 7th, complete re-write, AoS :P)?

My opinion is that I would like a complete re-write of the game from the ground up. My group has been experimenting with some other games for a while now and it's made us aware of just how clunky and unengaging 40k feels when compared to newer wargames. I would love to see a nothing is sacred (except the fluff) total tear down and rebuilding of 40k.

I'm not sure when we'll see an 8th edition, but I bet it's within the next two years or so. Also, I don't think it's going to be a ground breaking re-write from the ground up.

I imagine that it's going to be a simpler version of the game, hopefully not as simple as AoS, but I think a lot of things will get streamlined.

I also think that the game is going to get bigger. While AoS knocked the model count down, 40k games seem to be expanding in scope (which I actually like.)

I play a number of other war games too but right now, 40k is my favorite. I love the fluff, I love the models, I like that I don't have cards for individual models and units, there aren't any tokens, and I like that I can easily find a game with other gamers.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

For large games, they need to bring back Space Marines/Titan Legions (Adeptus Titanicus). Then people can play epic massive battles, and not have to worry about the cost to start up 40K being around a thousand dollars.

Brother-Captain

I want them to bring out 28mm scale Epic style rules (with WotR style bases for infantry) for apocalypse. I played 40k scale Space Marine at the Golden Daemon awards (91 I think) and it was great.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    I'm not sure when we'll see an 8th edition, but I bet it's within the next two years or so. Also, I don't think it's going to be a ground breaking re-write from the ground up.

I imagine that it's going to be a simpler version of the game, hopefully not as simple as AoS, but I think a lot of things will get streamlined.
    One of the usual rumor sources says we'll get just that soon - a slightly updated and FAQ'd rulebook (a 7.5, if you will):

[url]http://natfka.blogspot.com/2016/04/40k-and-aos-rumors-blood-angels.html[/url]
    Last edited by Captain Bubonicus; 04-23-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
    Hey Everyone,

The release of Angels of Death has left a bad taste in my mouth and along with other issues has me wishing for a revamp of the game. Traditionally we have have seen these kind of overhauls when editions change, most notably 2nd to 3rd. I have a bad feeling however that 7th might be the last (at least for a long while) edition that GW will put out. The amount of codices, supplements, and formations is so high that trying to update them would be a herculean effort. Compounding this problem is the fact that GW doesn't seem to want to put out new codices anymore or even update the ones that are tragically behind the times. I can't see them wanting to update the base rules anymore than they do the codices.
    I don't understand what you mean here. GW has long used Expansions to include new gaming systems. Look up Cities of Death, Planetstrike, and Spearhead. And these Expansions like Angels of Death really aren't introducing any actual new gaming systems, just new detachments (which follow the same detachment type as was introduced in several codices first) and new Psychic Power sets (see every codex with a Psyker in 3rd-5th Edition).

Now, you do have a point that codex release has severely stagnated, much to the chagrin of the Bugs and the Warp Marines. But to be fair, that has only been really telling in the last four months. Usually only one codex is released between August and December, but we normally would have had at least 2 more codices than that since New Year's.

Personally, I wish they would just stop with this lightly handing out Contingents two at a time and release a book for everyone else who doesn't have one. Then codices can start rolling along proper.

My questions for you are:
    Do you think we'll see an 8th edition of 40k? If we do how far down the road do you think it will be?
    I do and I don't. 7th Edition is only called that by us. GW was very careful to separate an edition number from the release of the current rulebook.

They do seem to be getting to a point where this will be the last huge rulebook release for some time, though. Whether that means just a patched book release in a few months, or going Age of the Emperor in a couple of years, I can't say.

What do you think 8th edition should look like (ex. Refinement of 7th, complete re-write, AoS :P)?
    It depends on how well Age of Sigmar is doing when they actually start working on it. It is doing well in much of Europe, but having a hard time here in the States.

What I would like to see is the ruleset set up to look at 3 levels/sizes of the game: Combat Patrol, Battles, and Apocalypse. Each unit (and detachment) will have a level associated with that level of the game as the minimum. This will allows Super-Heavies to be relegated to a low level Apocalypse game where they belong (with some mission exceptions). It will also allow an easier definition for Growth Leagues to be created much like Privateer Press' Journeyman Leagues.

With Combat Patrol level games, we'd be looking at most Infantry and up to medium Vehicles with small Formations and Detachments to define it, much like the Combat Patrol mission of yore. The Tyranid Monstrous Creatures would need to be reviewed or restructured to allow some of them to be in this game level. This would be for games up to 600-800 points.

Battle level games would look much like what we see today but without the Escalation concepts in play. The targeted point levels will start a little below the higher end of Combat Patrols, and end a little higher than Apocalypse level games. Battle Games would be in the realm of 700-2300 points.

Apocalypse level games are ones which are just huge massive affairs like what people are used to seeing. Unbound is already a thing, so it would remain as it is, but the Apocalypse Formations and FW units will be defined. This is where Super-Heavies come back in to play. Apocalypse games should start somewhere from 1850-2000+ points.

I do think some simplification would be desired on one level (at least for everyone else's armies), but I cannot think of how to do it without it coming across as a nerf by a good portion of the community. In some ways, think of it like every unit had a limit of 2 Special Rules. This is like the return of the Movement Characteristic. If done properly, there won't be a problem. However, if the "standard" movement of the IG and Tau is 4", those players will consider this as nothing but a hit against them.

Another thing that some people seem to request is the standardization of stats for Vehicles. Just think of how much easier it would be to deal with Vehicles if they had a T stat like Monstrous Creatures instead of the AV. Or if the To-Wound Roll operated more like the Armour Penetration roll for ease of the players.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    For large games, they need to bring back Space Marines/Titan Legions (Adeptus Titanicus). Then people can play epic massive battles, and not have to worry about the cost to start up 40K being around a thousand dollars.
    What?

Are you saying that they should ditch those of us that HAVE invested thousands in our armies?
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

First-Captain

Add movement values and replace cover saves with a to hit modifier. Perfect.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Add movement values and replace cover saves with a to hit modifier. Perfect.
    I've always lamented the lack of movement stats. The ability of GW to effectively differentiate the factions and their "speed" has led to some pretty ridiculous outcomes IMO. For example, warp spiders. How many dice do I need again to move them? Why don't they just have a static movement range? Oh because we need to somehow make them different that assault marines movement, and tau crisis suits.

Which brings me to my next point - the move from 2nd to 3rd edition drove off a lot of the the "uniqueness" of many armies. I know that I felt it viscerally when tau were released and were basically anime Eldar.
    If you trim the ruleset down, a lot of units start to play and feel like others from other factions. It's something that I hope doesn't happen but I know definitely will if they try to "streamline" the rule set.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

First-Captain

Watching the tranisiton from having a Movement Value in 2nd to standardised movement in 3rd then a raft of special rules to make up for that over the next few years (remember that Fleet wasn't a standard part of rules in 3rd and were made up to represent Eldar being faster than humans at first) was pretty funny, they took a simple and elegant way to represent different unit speeds and turned it in to 20 different special rules.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast