BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    I don't understand how witchfires are overpriced. Because I don't have any armies where you pay specific points for specific powers - they are rolled/drawn randomly. Same for buffing powers. A single 100 pts model still needs to roll his psychic test and can only buff one unit at a time - with no repetition of casting.
    "Overpriced" does not refer to "points"

Witchfire: Harness warp charges, roll to hit, opponent can deny and add in adamant will, psyker, higher ML
    Blessing: Harness warp charges, opponent can deny on a 6

Witchfires tend to have a weapon profile, like 24" large blast, ignore cover S4 AP5 2WC
    Blessings enhance a unit and give various boni like ignore cover 1WC

In the end the blessing will always win out as it is harder to deny, doesnt need to hit and will do a lot more than the witchfire power.
    That is why lores that revolve around witchfires are mostly ignored while lores that heavily rely on blessings are prefered.
    A unit of centurions is much more powerful with a 4++ and ignore cover than a psyker that can cast 2 large blasts at S4.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    "Overpriced" does not refer to "points"

"Overpriced" in English means there is a quantifiable metric that pertains to a certain thing and said thing costs more of that metric than its actual worth.

Given that the only a few psykers have all psychic suites available, that you draw randomly from what you do have, and the relative benefits are entirely situational I still fail to see how overpriced is the correct term.

'Witchfires are much sh*tter' than blessings" now that is subjective not objective.

But if living lightning has blown a scoring unit off an objective last turn and you win 15-14 its much better than the fact you got a bit of presience earlier on.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

WC is a quantifiable metric. And they cost a lot more WC then they are worth. Also the points of a psyker are a quantifiable metric. If his damage output with spells is below the damage output of any other shooty model for the same price, it is not worth picking him.

Again, there is a reason why pyromancy is an extremely underused lore compared to divination or telepathy.

Battle-Brother

What it should look like IMHO, is a streamlined version of the rules that cleans things up. I honestly would not mind an AoS-style approach: Rules ("Datasheets") included with purchases and available for free with an app, formations/detachments able to be unlocked or similar in books, three ways to play (preferably with more balanced point values), more campaign supplements that add different (and hopefully balanced) ways to use existing things rather than constantly adding or revamping new things, so that GW can take the time to redo ranges that need it (e.g. Chaos). Ideally they will try to make things somewhat balanced, but having the AoS approach has the following benefits IMHO:

* The casual approach lets you literally buy a new box, assembled it and play. This is HUGE because you don't have to fuddle around with points or tweak things.
    * The narrative approach is the GW preferred style, and lets them put out different campaign supplements that enrich the background, although you run the risk of "power creep" (not like you don't everywhere else)
    * The matched play (i.e. points) approach allows for standardized pickup games and (gasp!) tournaments, hopefully with a rules cleanup.

Chapter-Master

Ugh

Simplification == lack of diversity in the rules of the different factions.

I don't want Plague Marines to be "tough" in exactly the same way as a Necron Warrior is "tough" or a Wraithguard is "tough". Right now they all work a little different from one another but still the lines between them all get blurred because of the current rules level of simplicity.

What needs to happen in the next edition is that we need to move away from the D6 system - but we know that will never, ever happen sadly.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

I like the idea of different "modes" to appeal to different types of players. Personally, I'd like a more simplified ruleset but thin there should be a more complex variant too ect
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Sergeant

I am most definitely ready for a change like from 2nd to 3rd edition. Scrap every codex and start over, (Gasp: Perhaps even with a system for consistently costing units from book to book.) with massively reduced rules. That does not really mean dumbed down, just easier and quicker; without the constant rule checking. Give vehicles a T and wounds with a save. They could also have a penetrating hit result chart. Get rid of the AMAZINBGLY STUPID closest model dies rule. You kill 3 guys, I pick up 3 models and we move on (Like 3rd & 4th). This is supposed to be cinematic after all. Drastically reduce USR's, how they interact and do not let them be given to units that don't have them. Go back to a quicker, more intuitive use of psychic powers. I would love the removal of formations, but it will not happen as they exist SOLEY (Do not fool yourself) to sell expensive models. There are too many examples to list, but the game would play almost unchanged, but could be faster with much less digging through books.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure it was just -1 for combat speed and -2 for fast. A rhino chassis went 25" in fast mode however; and could shoot all of its weapons at different targets (with targeters for +1 to hit). There was a to hit minus for going fast too.
    40K pronunciation guide: Abaddon = [uh - BAD - done], Belial = [bee - LEEL] (I promise), and Chimera = [KY - murr - uh].

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234