BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Add movement values and replace cover saves with a to hit modifier. Perfect.
    This may be a rare occasion in which I agree with PW 100%!

- - - Updated - - -

In fact if I remember correctly, there was -1 to hit modifier per 10" something moved. So a Genestealer (M6) that used its run move was going 12" - -1 to hit. And when they introduced overwatch (in a WD I think) that applied as well.

So a flyer going 36" would be -3 - seems reasonable.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    Watching the tranisiton from having a Movement Value in 2nd to standardised movement in 3rd then a raft of special rules to make up for that over the next few years (remember that Fleet wasn't a standard part of rules in 3rd and were made up to represent Eldar being faster than humans at first) was pretty funny, they took a simple and elegant way to represent different unit speeds and turned it in to 20 different special rules.
    I cannot completely agree. In some ways, it will actually increase the special rules in other ways as well. It won't change how Fleet works now. It won't change Move Through Cover now. It won't change the different Unit Types with odd movement interactions like FMCs, Jet Packs, Bikes, and Jumpers. Slow and Purposeful does not affect actual Movement rates anymore (aside from denying the Run, which one wouldn't want to remove now), but is more significant with its interactions on the Shooting Phase and the Assault Phase.

In most cases where extra movement is being added, a unique special rule is applied to the unit itself, and that is pretty much limited to Dark Eldar Vehicles. Generally where it changes is rerolling random ranges or their interaction with Terrain and other units. That is it.

Random movement ranges do not even do much to represent other movement abilities, but to increase that random element that takes away from the assurity that premeasuring provides.

As I pointed out earlier, this will tend towards a general nerf, unless you are willing to stick Imperial Guard and Fire Warriors with 6" movement and progress (or reduce for SNP) from there. You will still need the rules to cover going over Terrain and units like Skimmers and Jumpers have, the ability to easily negotiate Terrain like Beasts, and the chance to improve the random movement with Fleet since you will probably not be able to remove premeasuring, so you want that random element to keep games more interesting.

Still a Movement State won't necessarily mean a deathknell for the game, but it will have to be approached VERY carefully to avoid ostracizing a portion of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    In fact if I remember correctly, there was -1 to hit modifier per 10" something moved. So a Genestealer (M6) that used its run move was going 12" - -1 to hit. And when they introduced overwatch (in a WD I think) that applied as well.

So a flyer going 36" would be -3 - seems reasonable.
    Yeah, that would be helpful, like Battletech.

One other thing I would like to see added to something like this is To Hit compared to Initiative instead of a target number, but a 6 always hits. This will allow for higher BS to actually mean something with results like Twin-Linked. It would also allow for Cover to modify To Hits a bit better and have an impact.

I can see the gameplay mechanic benefit for rolling to hit vs I, but it makes little fluff sense when considering all the weapons firing lasers and so forth, where only a very few creatures with insane reaction times would have any benefit in dodging. Like Lelith Hesperax. Oh wait a moment...
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

A major thing that has to go is IGYG.
    You can basically keep most things the same but let units activate alternating so both players are involved in every part of the game.
    As it is now, especially at larger points, you can watch an episode of Dr Who while your friend is playing.

The Psi phase also needs a large overhaul as the power budget for force multipliers is calculated completely wrong while witchfires are hugely overpriced.
    Armies that do not even have access to psykers are basically completely left out of the phase (and basically defenseless) while a single 100 points model can make half of the enemy army massively stronger.

Reintroducing to hit modifiers would also go a long way in balancing different weapons for different situations.

Also weapon skill needs to be looked at.

Unlikely, but I'd like a double system.

Closer to 2nd Ed rules for small scale games - modifiers etc to really make the board the thing you need to beat/control.

Adopt and Adapt the old 'classifications' from City Fight - when agreeing a game, set the level...

Alpha - FoC only. Nothing fancy.
    Gamma - FoC and Formations.
    Omega - FoC, Formations and Unbound.

Simple short hand, with added 'legitimacy' because it's in the rule book. When arranging a game? Hey dudes, anyone up for a 1,500 Gamma engagement?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    I can see the gameplay mechanic benefit for rolling to hit vs I, but it makes little fluff sense when considering all the weapons firing lasers and so forth, where only a very few creatures with insane reaction times would have any benefit in dodging. Like Lelith Hesperax. Oh wait a moment...
    You are not always reacting to the round, but the person who is shooting them, and their ability to hit a swift moving target.

But what if the model did not move last turn? I don't see why the Eldar Exarch firing the weapon emplacement at flyers is going to be any harder for a Guardsman to hit than a Marine firing the same weapon emplacement. It still only makes sense in relatively limited situations, and most of those situations are covered better by focussing on them specifically (like flyers being hard to hit). Which does raise the point of how vehicles interact with this, although I guess your answer would be to just turn them into a normal statline like monstrous creatures.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    But what if the model did not move last turn? I don't see why the Eldar Exarch firing the weapon emplacement at flyers is going to be any harder for a Guardsman to hit than a Marine firing the same weapon emplacement. It still only makes sense in relatively limited situations, and most of those situations are covered better by focussing on them specifically (like flyers being hard to hit). Which does raise the point of how vehicles interact with this, although I guess your answer would be to just turn them into a normal statline like monstrous creatures.
    Or give them at least an hitting target the equivalent of I.

But the soldiers and warriors are rarely standing still in a battle, and this is more of a narrative construct than a tabletop construct. But again, moving was considered a possibility, I believe I mentioned it right after that suggestion.

Chapter-Master

Alpha - FoC only. Nothing fancy.
    Gamma - FoC and Formations.
    Omega - FoC, Formations and Unbound.
    Ugh. Getting rid of the FoC was the best thing GW ever did. Don't bring it back. Ever.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Veteran-Sergeant

Drastic changes to 40k mean drastic changes in 30k, so I doubt much will change.

Apparently, GW just introduced two new stats for fliers, perhaps they can include them in a new rulebook.

A new rulebook would be the perfect place to put a lot of FAQ/clarifications.

I'd prefer if instead of fluff in the rulebook, they include something along the lines of Codex Imperialis (from 2nd Edition). Stats for one HQ and one TROOPS for each faction, and then a page or two of upgrades or faction specific rules. Perfect for beginners, and Allies.
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast