BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Interesting stuff.

Not fussed for points meself, but variety is rarely a poor thing.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    [url]https://www.facebook.com/GWWarhammerAgeofSigmar/photos/a.452227281640737.1073741828.452117934985005/469380939925371/?type=3&permPage=1[/url]

HA! They ARE doing a points system!

So there's three options:

Open Play - Put whatever you want on the table.
    Narrative Play - Scenarios, Campaigns, etc.
    Matched Play - For "tournaments and competitive games," and they even call out points

So hey, there's options! Always a good thing. Hopefully they can be mixed, too, i.e. a campaign using points.

Also have to say, after seeing so many "AoS fans" (in quotation marks for a reason) attacking people for daring to suggest it might be points (because if GW decided points weren't needed, then the game must never have points!), and then here we are, GW's doing points. Those people are probably going to be doing some serious backpedaling this morning.
    Well I suggest that they still wouldn't need points to run their games and the open/narrative style play is apparently still going to be catered for.

I do agree that options are good, what is very nice to see is that they are doing different things for different parts of the customer base. Very sensible.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Options are good but history has shown that the other two options are going to be very difficult to get to use now that points are back. They are an illusion of options at that point.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Auticus View Post
    Options are good but history has shown that the other two options are going to be very difficult to get to use now that points are back. They are an illusion of options at that point.
    That's a definite worry. Hopefully enough people will have had taste of the good life so we won't totally go back to the days of two equally pointed armies lining up on planet no scenery for no particular reason just to kill each other

I wish I wasn't so cynical but I highly doubt it. My shop is already this (they use wounds). Now it'll be points.

"Hey want to do this scenario?"

"No, that scenario isn't fair or balanced"

This will become common once again.

Brother-Captain

Yep

I didn't used to let people play unless they used a scenario, which was probably an abuse of my position at the time but I didn't and still don't care.

I even put them in the tournaments l ran, you should have the faces when the second round was a cities of death scenario. They all enjoyed themselves though and came back for more.

Chapter-Master

I'm ok with the system as it is for now but yeah options are a good thing, and it shows that people do play the game in different ways so having the different modes for that is a good idea, ill stick with open play as I only play the game with a few select people who are also casuals like myself. I wish the pro and anti AoS sides would lay off each other generally though, this forum seems friendlier compared to a lot of other places though at least (generally speaking) Speaking personally, I don't care if people hate AoS or think it sucks - doesn't effect my enjoyment or life, so each to their own.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

I'm not sure I get the concern here.

You believe that no-points is the superior way to play, the "good life." But then you feel like if people have another option they'll pick that option instead of what you feel is the superior option, and so many people will people the "inferior" option that the "superior" option won't be available.

Well, if people pick one option in such an overwhelming majority, then that's what the general playerbase feels is the superior option. If it's clearly not a better option, then people won't use it.

If your friends are of like mind with you, you'll be able to play the way you want.

If you're concerned that having options will cause problems getting games outside of your personal group, well, you've just caught on to one of the issues that's been around since the game started and people said "It's great because you can make up your own rules!" Difference is, in this case they're all official options, so there's less chance of Group A and Group B having two completely different methods of achieving the same results.

Really, I think I'm just finding a long way to say that if you find that so many people want to use points that you can't get a game without them, then clearly no-points wasn't "the good life" and people really do prefer some balance in their games. It's rather off-putting to see an elitist attitude toward the use of points, and the attitude that if people choose to go that route, even your own gaming mates, they're making the "wrong" choice.

How is the "pro-AoS" crowd the ones to jump on this and make it out to be something potentially negative? What happened to "Wait and see, you might like it!" or "Give it a try!" or any of the other things we've heard the last few months? The game gives options - OPTIONS! - to be more inclusive and people act like it's suddenly the end of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I wish the pro and anti AoS sides would lay off each other generally though
    I doubt it's so much "pro and anti AoS sides." I think it's mostly trolls that act like they're on either "side."

And then there's the people who might enjoy the game, but are willing to comment on where they think improvement could be had or there might be issues, and end up labeled "anti-AoS" for not being rabidly "pro-AoS." It's the kind of extremes I thought only existed in politics.

Brother-Captain

Points or no points is of no concern to me

I just happen to agree with Auticus' concern that tournament style play could stifle the use of scenarios in his community. Something he has mentioned from the start. I'd also point out he did make his own point system so he's hardly a points hater. The degeneration into mindless line up and kill battles is something that happens and it's boring and something that damaged WFB in the end. Let's not forget the wailing and gnashing of teeth by balancemongers (tm Grimmas) over unbound in 40K.

Options are a good thing. How the "community" repsonds to them is another thing entirely.

Open and Narative/scenario play already exists and the Narrative/scenario play is very popular amough the poeple who actually play AoS. It's also somthing that isn't exclusive of the use of points.
    Last edited by grimmas; 04-25-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Chapter-Master

I am liking the new models, willing to embrace it as a system, but actually playing the game was 100% dependant on it getting points values. so now I am very happy indeed.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast