BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast

Firstly it is entirely down to us when to leave. Based of EU laws (yay ironic) we are the only people who can trigger it and only after our own legislature allows for it. Thems the rules. Watch what happens if the EU can't be trusted to abide by its own laws. Also we remain full memebers right up to our departure.
    The EU kicked out your negotiation team. What does that tell you?
    They made very clear: "no negotiation before you left"

And your leave voters will make sure you can't stay. They voted for leave, they want to leave.

You still overestimate the importance of your island.
    Don't get me wrong... you WILL get deals. And the deals will make it look like you never left. Minus your vote.
    You will not get a better deal than Norway or Switzerland. It is not even clear if you actually will get an equal deal.

Funny that you mention france. Because you know what would actually destroy the EU? You leaving and getting good deals. Because THAT opens up the question: "When they can cherry pick, why can't we too?"

And that's why I don't think we'll leave. Not in the end.

Our net cost, the one Leave claimed was £350,000,000 per week? Yep, that's now looking accurate as we'll very likely lose our rebate.

Nice one, Leave.

Essentially, everything Leave pledged and promised is off the table, and what we have now is going to cost us more.....if we actually leave.

Which begs the question, and I'm sure it's one MP's are pondering.....well what's the bloody point in leaving then?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post

And your leave voters will make sure you can't stay. They voted for leave, they want to leave.

You still overestimate the importance of your island.
    Don't get me wrong... you WILL get deals. And the deals will make it look like you never left. Minus your vote.
    You will not get a better deal than Norway or Switzerland. It is not even clear if you actually will get an equal deal.

Funny that you mention france. Because you know what would actually destroy the EU? You leaving and getting good deals. Because THAT opens up the question: "When they can cherry pick, why can't we too?"
    Of course they won't negotiate we haven't left, there's nothing to negotiate, yet.

I'm overstating nothing we are the second biggest component of the EU. Also we sell more to the rest of the World than we do to the EU and we buy more from the EU than we sell them. That means we're bring money into the EU not just moving it around. We are also a net contributed to EU coffers. They need all that money.

They are incapable of achieving this punishing of the U.K. As you suggest, they aren't conhesive enough, don't have a strong enough economy and need UK cash too much.

I don't doubt they want us to to take the EEA deal and have done since we turned down joining the Eurozone . It's the perfect scenario for them is still turning up with the cash and not interfering with the politics. Ideal. As to our voters well give it three months half of them will have forgotten what it's all about.

I notice you haven't told us where you are from.
    Last edited by grimmas; 06-30-2016 at 01:36 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    It says they want to formulate a response for when/if we invoke article 50. Which makes sense to put us outside the room.
    But for all other EU business as it stands at the moment it should be business as usual. Reality will be different of course.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

There also was no negotiation team, the prime minister met with Angela Merkel

Expect deals to be being made in the background. I'll virtually guarantee it, because after all, this is politics.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boris has agreed not to invoke Article 50 after all. He's a cunning enough politician to just possibly get away from it smelling of roses. Especially as Jeremy Hunt has said if he get's the top job, he'll hold a second referendum.

Interesting times ahead, folks.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Expect deals to be being made in the background. I'll virtually guarantee it, because after all, this is politics.

I wouldn't be surprised if Boris has agreed not to invoke Article 50 after all. He's a cunning enough politician to just possibly get away from it smelling of roses. Especially as Jeremy Hunt has said if he get's the top job, he'll hold a second referendum.

Interesting times ahead, folks.
    Possibly the case

Defo interesting times.

Of course we were never going to get invited to a meeting for the founder member states of the EU given that we aren't one.

Yarp.

And once again, I remain utterly torn on whether we need a second referendum.

My first thought of 'hey, this is democracy so be careful what you wish for' absolutely stands, because without that, what's the point in democracy?

But given so many of the things Leave was about now just aren't gonna happen (immigration, cost of membership), the whole leaving the EU thing just....doesn't seem to do change anything.

Plus, I think we'd get a far more honest campaign from both sides. Leave won't be able to lie about costs, nor make false promises. Remain can point to recent market jitters as factual proof that they didn't actually over-egg that much the pudding last time.

I'm sure the gutter press will have a paddy about it, but it's looking increasingly like an unavoidable thing now.
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 06-30-2016 at 02:54 AM.

Brother-Captain

I don't think we'll be seeing any UK wide referendums for a looooooong time, if ever. In UK law there isn't a constitutional basis for them anyway. There might be a Scotish one depending on the next few months though I can't see criteria be triggered for a NI one (but that's the only one that it is written in law). There's no way they'll roll the dice again on a UK wide one.

Either way they don't need one though.

I dunno. Uncertain times lead to oddities.

Now, if only we could club together and buy some desolate island to dump all our racists on. They want an all-white country? There you go, knock yourselves out.

Page 76 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast