BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast
    Brother-Captain

The French Foreign minister has said that everything is on the table re Brexit negotiations, including the limiting of migrants.

Hmmmmm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    I dunno. Uncertain times lead to oddities.

Now, if only we could club together and buy some desolate island to dump all our racists on. They want an all-white country? There you go, knock yourselves out.
    We've tried that they keep wanting independence though
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

France can say what it wants - it's the EU that'll decide.

I do wonder if this might be the end to truly free movement of peoples - somehow, I kinda doubt it. But then, it is a common 'concern' among the right wing of the constituent countries of the EU.

Maybe this will lead to a refocusing of the union - a tidemark of 'seriously, not enough people are happy with the way we're going'. I'm on record as not giving a fig about sovereignty and that, nor migration, so apologies if this comes across as I've changed my tune. I've not. But I am acknowledging there's concerns, even if I feel they've been blown out of proportion in the face of nationalistic nonsense.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

You're right it is the EU rather than just France but they do get a say quite a large one I'd suspect. Of course they may just ask for somthing else in return, military aid/cooperation possibly. may be not something the current EEA states could provide so it wouldn't have come up before (That is just something I've pulled out of the air as an possible example)
    Last edited by grimmas; 06-30-2016 at 03:15 AM.

Could also be their way of heading off that horrific harridan Le Penne - I don't think anyone wants their country falling to the far-right.

After all, if the UK can bag a perk, it would have to shared with other countries - and that knocks an awful lot of wind out of the sails of the far-right.

Now, serious, non-snarky question for those who voted Leave (I've tried to be careful with my wording, but may well fail on that account). Given it looks like we're staying in the single market, and all that involves - do you feel, from your perspective, that the referendum hasn't actually changed anything?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

What I said in March on the subject in the British politics thread:

It just occurred to me last night that maybe the reason neither side of the referendum debate has any actual data to refute the other is because their isn't an actual difference between them and it's just preference. So in essence the vote doesn't matter maybe things have developed to the point where everybody is essentially so co-dependant and the treaties in place or will be in place mean that and apart from a name nothing will actually change.
    Last edited by grimmas; 06-30-2016 at 03:54 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post

Of course we were never going to get invited to a meeting for the founder member states of the EU given that we aren't one.
    Well the original organisation...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Now, serious, non-snarky question for those who voted Leave (I've tried to be careful with my wording, but may well fail on that account). Given it looks like we're staying in the single market, and all that involves - do you feel, from your perspective, that the referendum hasn't actually changed anything?
    No, because now we are free to negotiate trade deals with other countries without needing the approval (and inevitable addendums) of 27 (and eventually more than that) other countries. We can sign bi-lateral trade deals and form closer links with our Commonwealth, especially Australia, New Zealand, Canada and India, as well as nations like China, Japan and Korea, all economies that are doing a hell of a lot better than the stagnant EU ones are. We were always going to be seeking to stay in the single market, that is what we signed up for back in 1973 when the EU was (and should have remained) the EEC. One free trade area for Europe is a damn good idea. One government for a "United States of" Europe is a bloody ridiculous idea.

We trade lots with Europe and they do the same back, it's a good healthy relationship thats created a lot of wealth and jobs over the past 40 years. What we don't need is 27 other countries telling us "Ohh you can't trade with that country without our permission". Umm yes we can and now we will be able to do so and with any luck when the other states see the advantages of being able to do so, they'll either amend or scrap the EU to be able to do so themselves.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    Well the original organisation...
    The EEC?

We weren't a founding member of that either.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    The EEC?

We weren't a founding member of that either.
    That's what I meant we weren't in. Surely we were in the original EU as it was formed in what '92?

If we have to pay the same amount(or more), obey all the rules and still have freedom of movement its a somewhat pointless exercise. Especially as many people no doubt voted about these three things to some degree or another.
    I'm unsure how far we'd be able to pursue Brakkats response while still jumping through the EU's three ring circus to obey the EEA rules.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Brother-Captain

Australia and New Zealand are teaming up to negotiate a new trade deal with the UK, since they won't fall under the EU negotiations currently in progress.

In bad news for the UK, the EU deal takes priority because they're much more important trade partners by volume and value, so it'll be at least next year before the real work starts on the UK one.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Page 77 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast