BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Needed- writing an ULTHWE list

Hi everybody

I am a long time Eldar player (i started with them 13 years ago) when i first got into the hobby. I love the background and the models. I used to have a very successful Ulthwe army, then i converted to building a saimhann armylist under the old codex + craftworld eldar ( had the kinsman rules in them) which was also succesful. With the release of the new codex, I wavered from list to list and from carftworld to craftworld, with no luck

I have decided to go back to an Ulthwe themed army, and i was wondering on peoples ideas. I know what can work in the new codex, dire avengers for instance, (but i dislike them for some reason lol), but I'm curious as to how other people construct their units and armies etc.

Cheers
    Last edited by addamsfamily36; 05-02-2010 at 07:18 PM.

I used to run a Black Guardian ulthew list for the longest time.

Basically its a farseer and a bunch of guardians with warlocks. That is pretty much the whole list to be honest with you.

Librarian

Are you talking about doing an Ulthwe themed army like one from Codex Craftworld Eldar way back in third ed or are you asking what works for eldar these days in general? The fluffy bit went along the lines that so many Eldar of Ulthwe tread the path of the seer that they are few to join the aspect shrines. As a combination of this and the craftworld's close proximity to the Eye of Terror it has become necessary to maintain a standing army of Eldar Guardians.

Ulthwe theme is very workable in 5th ed, Guardians pilot the vehciles in mechdar, run Eldrard, Warlock body guard, and few aspect warriors. Of course you don't have to run Eldrad, but why wouldn't you?

Chapter-Master

farseer
    elrad
    10 man warlock units
    lots of storm guardians
    lots of guardians
    vichales piloted by guardians
    aspects could be vetran guardians
    wraithlords/guards are dead guardians/ armoursuits :P
    phienox lords are vetrean guardians
    avatar is ?????? HUge exo-suirt guardian/ avatar
    rangers are stealthy guardians

thats aLL of the eldar units isnt it?
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Outflanking war-walkers with Scatter lasers are great at busting tanks with weaker side armor. Also you might want to consider the heavy support weapon platforms. I know they don't seem that good but vibrocannons automatically glance vehicles in a 36" line... that's pretty good for at least cutting down on the amount of shooting you might face.

Here's are a couple sample 1500 pt lists I came up with:

HQ Eldrad

10 Storm Guardians (2 Flamers) + Warlock w/ Destructor
    Wave Serpent w/ TL-Shuriken Cannons
    10 Storm Guardians (2 Fusion Guns) + Warlock w/ Enhance or Conceal
    10 Guardian Defenders - Brightlance platform

3 Warwalkers - 2x Scatter Lasers
    3 Support Platforms - Vibrocannon + Warlock w/ Embolden

I envision Eldrad joining the Defender squad and staying close to the support platforms (which should absolutely be in cover) to provide some psychic support for both squads. Whether it be dooming, guiding, or fortuning, Eldrad can help both squads hunker down and hold objectives in your own deployment zone; the wave serpents can blast forward to deal with other tanks or hordes, as the case may be; the Warwalkers can either be out on the board and be guided by Eldrad (if close enough) or outflank for side shots; and the vibrocannon can mass-glance in the case of large numbers of vehicles. Sure, it won't kill them, but it does have chances to immobilize and break weapons.

You could take a similar list as well if you want more warlocks and more reliable AT punch:
    HQ Eldrad w/ 5 Warlocks w/ Singing Spears (3x Destructor, Enhance, Embolden) - Wave Serpent w/ TL-Shuriken Cannons + Vectored Engines
    HQ Farseer w/ Guide

10 Storm Guardians (2 Flamers) + Warlock w/ Destructor
    10 Guardian Defenders - Brightlance platform + Warlock w/ Embolden (attach Guideseer to re-roll psychic check if necessary)

3 Support Platforms - Vibrocannon + Warlock w/ Embolden
    Last edited by whitestar333; 05-03-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Personally I think the best way to go about it is to use the Apocalypse formation as a base:

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180068_Eldar_Datasheet_-_Ulthw%C3%A9_Strike_Force.pdf[/url]

Are you talking about doing an Ulthwe themed army like one from Codex Craftworld Eldar way back in third ed or are you asking what works for eldar these days in general?
    In affect yes.

I have decided on using Eldrad as once you've kitted out a normal farseer he's only a little bit more expensive and well comes with some very handy benefits. so with him im going to put some warlocks for body guard.

I am going to have atleast 30 guardians (either stom, defend, or a mixture)

i also want to include and avatar to make them fearless

Banshees because i love the old models and i have 10

Warp spiders as they are my favourite aspect

and a tleast one wraithlord (too nice a model not to include lol)

so my question or what i need help with, is unit structure

how many guardians per unit, equipment etc. (i ask because its been awhile since i've played with an all guardian army)

Heres a list of what i currently own:

10 Banshees
    10 Warp spiders
    2x Farseers
    4-6 Warlocks (i know i have 2 somewhere)
    2 War walkers
    1 Wraithlord
    15 Rangers

Again Any help would be appreciated.

White star: thanks for the post, i like the structure of the army fits in well with the theme. Not to keen on the heavy weapons plaforms, from my experieces they aren;t worth the points cost, but i like the rest of the list.
    thanks

Talking

The strike force datasheet is a good representation of Ulthwe's military practices the only thing is unless your only playing battles set before the end of the 13th crusade Maugen Ra shouldn't be there since hes now with Altansar (though i guess if Ulthwe asked real nicely he might come by and kick some A**)

Ok so here's what iv'e come up with so far:

HQ

Eldrad - 210
    4 Warlocks - Enhance - 115

Fast Attack

10 warpspiders (inc Exarch) - powerblades - suprise assault- 252

Elites

10 Howling Bashees (inc Exarch) - executioner- both powers - 192

Troops

20 guardians + Warlock - conceal - scatter laser - 220

20 guardians + Warlock - conceal - scatter laser - 220

10 Path finders - 240

Heavy Support

Wraithlord - sword - 100

2 war walkers - 4 scatter lasers - 120

5 dark reapers - 175

TOTAL - 1999
    I want to keep the Howling banshees and the Warp spiders in the list for definite, but their weapons options can change. The one area im pretty sure i might change is the Troops. Maybe split them into:

10 defender guardians - Warlock - conceal - scatter laser
    10 defender guardians - scatter laser -Warlock - conceal
    10 storm guardians
    10 storm guardians

I also realise that there is a lack of anti tank in this list too

I've been running an infantry-based Ulthwe force the last couple months. Though I've included more squads of aspect warriors than I probably should have to be really "fluffy," I've gone with them instead all being small squads. The codex doesn't say anything about having a tighter selection of aspect warriors... just less of them.

The strength in the army lies in diversity and volume - with lots of small, cheap squads there's an answer to almost anything, and there are so many targets that it's hard to kill them all before at least most of them do what they're intended for. I've run into the same problem you're looking at: very limited anti-tank capabilities. Morale is also a major concern, so I've been running an avatar the last few weeks to mitigate the problem. It's extremely beneficial, but he becomes quite the fire magnet.

I'd look into changing a few options over to be more anti-tank; you've got enough anti-infantry fire between the walkers, the reapers, and the spiders to handle high-toughness targets like MC's, or even just burn down marines. The guardian defenders with shuriken catapults will contribute even further toward that; the problem is going to be popping transports before they get close enough to rapid fire those guardians into the dirt. Consider maybe using missile launchers in the guardian teams instead: they still contribute well against hordes with the plasma shot, and can at least attempt to drop vehicles at 48" (more likely they miss or bounce off the armor, but having the option to penetrate AV12's is worth the extra 5 points.

I actually purchased a Wraithlord yesterday, and am looking to experiment with him a bit. I think the wraithsword is a good call - when your whole army is on foot anyway, the MC's aren't any slower than the rest of your front line - but again I'd think about putting a missile launcher or bright lance on his shoulder. One more shot may not add much alone, but a missile here and a lance there add up quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast