BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    I still imagined Space Marine armor (some with jump packs) rather than Tau. Plus, they came down in drop pods...
    Good point on the drops pod, they were individual pods, but the concept is the same, I will give Starship Troopers that one 🙂. The reason I say Tau Battlesuits is because the MI armour provides the strength/toughness like the Tau it's very much the suit providing the oomph. Where's as with Astartes it more a case of it the armour carrying it own weight (all be it with a bit of increased performance) and the strength and power is mainly the Astarte's own.

I do get where you are coming from though.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    Good point on the drops pod, they were individual pods, but the concept is the same, I will give Starship Troopers that one 🙂. The reason I say Tau Battlesuits is because the MI armour provides the strength/toughness like the Tau it's very much the suit providing the oomph. Where's as with Astartes it more a case of it the armour carrying it own weight (all be it with a bit of increased performance) and the strength and power is mainly the Astarte's own.

I do get where you are coming from though.
    In terms of mobility and weapon options, the Mobile Infantry suit is far closer to a Crisis Suit than anything a Space Marine uses. By the end of one of the engagements, the protaganist has used more guns than a Crisis Suit has options. Part of that is because of what is inside.

An Astartes IS a weapon. His armour is very capable, don't get me wrong, but it is still just to protect the weapon of the Astartes himself. A proper Movie Marine Astartes without Armour would still be hella effective against a Hormagant squad.

Compare that to the Mobile Infantryman without his suit. He's dang good, even possibly Astartes level in skills, but not in speed, strength, or resilience. But put him in his suit, and he outruns Assault Marines, outshoots a Devastator Squad, and takes blows that even an Astartes in Armour may not be able to take (hard to say, there is a vast tech difference in both time and loss).

Brother-Captain

Yes that's what I was getting at.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Charistoph View Post
    In terms of mobility and weapon options, the Mobile Infantry suit is far closer to a Crisis Suit than anything a Space Marine uses. By the end of one of the engagements, the protaganist has used more guns than a Crisis Suit has options. Part of that is because of what is inside.

An Astartes IS a weapon. His armour is very capable, don't get me wrong, but it is still just to protect the weapon of the Astartes himself. A proper Movie Marine Astartes without Armour would still be hella effective against a Hormagant squad.

Compare that to the Mobile Infantryman without his suit. He's dang good, even possibly Astartes level in skills, but not in speed, strength, or resilience. But put him in his suit, and he outruns Assault Marines, outshoots a Devastator Squad, and takes blows that even an Astartes in Armour may not be able to take (hard to say, there is a vast tech difference in both time and loss).
    Sure, I see your points as well.

It probably stems from the fact that I read Starship Troops and played Marines years before Tau were released. That's just my life experiences shaping what I see because I made that association long before anime models invaded the GrimDark.

Marines = Starship Troopers
    Tau = nearly endless supply of anime/manga power-suit mecha.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Sure, I see your points as well.

It probably stems from the fact that I read Starship Troops and played Marines years before Tau were released. That's just my life experiences shaping what I see because I made that association long before anime models invaded the GrimDark.

Marines = Starship Troopers
    Tau = nearly endless supply of anime/manga power-suit mecha.
    Possibly. Like I see very little anime mecha in Tau, probably because of how it was shaped. To me it is closer to Heavy Gear and non-anime Battletech esthetics, and very little classic anime feel.

However the same anime design esthetic if very prevalent in the Eldar.

But I was in to anime a long time before I was following Warhammer, and a Crisis Suit looks and operates nothing like a Macross Valkyrie or Gundam. Even the Zakus and Leos share little feel with them. In order for the Battlesuits to feel properly anime, they would all be FMCs, carry Death Ray Beams as well as a pair of Assault Cannons, and a sword that would chop an Imperator in half if you rolled a 6 and is twice as tall as the suit itself.

While I did have some exposure to Warhammer in high school, Tau were out before I really started looking in to the game.
    Last edited by Charistoph; 05-11-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234