BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default crimson fists army list problems!

ok this is my 2000pt list for my crimson fist list which isnt going well at all. anyone got any idea how to improve the list.

pedro kantor
    librarian w/ epistolary, jump pack, plasma pistol-usually run with gate of infinity and vortex of doom

10 sternguard w/powerfist
    10 sternguard w/powerfist
    ven. dreadnaught w/ extra armour

10 tactical marines w/powerfist, plasma gun, plasma cannon
    10 tactical marines w/ powerfist, plasma gun, plasmacannon

5 vanguard w/ thunderhammer, powerswords, stormshields, jump packs

predator w/ lascannons, hunterkiller

the vanguard are a major point sink and really bad IMO so theyre defiately being swapped for something

other than that the army just seems to fail horribly practically all the time
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal....." Endemion, Captain of the Iron Warriors

Battle-Brother

How do they fail you? How do you usually use them? Do you play a wide variety of races/armies and if yes do you feel you deal with some better then others?

I've used Pedro and sternguad type lists before and have had pretty good successrate with them. My army on the otherhand, didn't contain any vanguards, but all had transport of some sort.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

i usually sit back with them as the two tacticals are only really effective if in cover, i usually sit them in a building or on an objective, the sternguard are pretty effective, especially with pedro, i usually use them to back up the tacticals on the objectives or sit them nearby. the pradators pretty good sometime.

i think my main problem is probably the single slow dread and definatly the librarian and vanguard who ake up 500pts on their own. i just dont know what to change them to
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal....." Endemion, Captain of the Iron Warriors

Battle-Brother

Alright. The way I've used them isn't entirely too disimilar from you. In my pedro army, each sternguad unit has 2 combi meltas and 2 combiflamers as well as a drop pod. One of those pods have a locatorbeacon. Instead of a Ven. Dread I have Ironclad with 2 flamers and assault launcher. Depending on the opponent I drop either both stern (pedro in one of them) or 1 stern 1 ironclad. If the ironclad is exposed, I smokelaunch him.

The share amount of flamers those 2/3 units produce is staggering for a horde army, especially if you combatsquad them. The melta shots are great for catching vehicles unaware and the ironclad is juts mean. Best part about it all is the ironclad has the same cost as your ven, granted, no reroll but av 13 is quite intimidating on a walker.

Do you fight alof of vehicles? I feel you're a bit light on AT guns, the only reliable one is the pred. Combi melta is most definately a good addition, what about dropping one plasma cannon in the tac squads and take a "cheaper" h.weapon and upgrade the other plasmac to a lascannon?

I run a full drop pod list, and being "fluffy" pre heresy I don't use librarians, so I can't advice one way or another there. I've come across alot of psykers but I've never wished I had a psycic hood to protect myself against it or anything like that. I suppose dropping the jumppack and drop in with a sternguard isn't too far off. Possibely taking a chap instead of a libby and add his power to one sternguard. Nasty with pedro nearby with all them attacks.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

i might try a second venerable dred, swap out the vanguard to an assault squad with melta or flamer+powerfist, keeping the libby cos he can be quite effective. might try the combi weapon idea for the stern too. on a side note to give an idea of usefulness of libbys, me and 3 other friends had a friendly 4 way 500pt game, i used the vanguard and libby( using gate of infinty and vortex), fighting against dark angels with a dred, a biker horde with a warboss, and a big mob or random orks.
    i put everything in reserve and i had the first turn, everyone else started moving into better cover and taking pot shots at each other. on my second turn my vanguard turned up with heroic intervention but scattered towards one of the big biker mobs so chose to charge them, they didnt last a turn. when my libby arrived he spent the rest of the game flyinf near and enemy, vortexing them then using gate to teleport away, he killed about 50 orks on his own and the only wound he took was from a double 1 on a psychic test.

Battle-Brother

that is nice, on the libby that is. I like sternguard and would never consider getting rid of their boltguns, but combi adds that little they lack, sure it's only oneshot, but against most things that's all you need. Let us know how you do in the next game.

will do dralafi, one last question, is it worth using a drop pods for the dreds and sterns or just dreds. and thanks for the advice

Too much elite, not enough of anything else.

I realize Pedro works well with Sternguard but two squads of them is a lot of points, add a venerable dread and vanguard and I don't think you have enough of anything in a 2K list to be all that successful.

I'd consider losing the predator and vanguard. Try to get some assault in there somewhere. 3 Tactical Squads never hurt anyone either. Remember, Quantity has a quality all its own.

I'm playing Crimson Fists as a theme army. I started the game with RT and the CF on the cover sold me instantly. I'm not tied to using Pedro in every game for one thing. He's nice but I'm not sold on him being worth his points in all honesty. I'll use him on occasion because he looks fun, and I might throw in a unit of Sternguard to help out but I'm going to stick with one unit. Again, I don't think they're worth the points you put into them to have two units with a character who also isn't necessarily worth the points you put into him.

That said, Pedro + Sternguard for the center piece of my army. I haven't decided yet how big the sternguard will be but probably a unit of 10 to capitalize on Pedro.

Beyond that I'll fill in the holes with standard Space Marine options. Dread in drop pod and multimelta, at least 3 squads of Tac in rhinos and fill in the gaps with things like Dev squads, another dread, an assault squad and so on.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the strength of vanilla marines is in numbers. The more 3+ Sv, 4 stat line minis you can get on the table the better.

Also, I know how you feel about the librarian, I often run one in termie armor with a squad of termies backing him up and he's always been a game winner. However, I don't think I'd ever throw him in with Pedro and 2 Sternguard Squads. It's just a lot of points into too few units. Consider trying to play with one or the other.
    Last edited by Grabula; 05-03-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Battle-Brother

being extremily biast on that, yes it is. With the libby you can spare yourself one pod though and just jump one stern around with him. As I said in the Drop Pod assault, if you use pods, make sure you have odd numbers to get the most squeeze out of the deployment. For example, if you have a pod for a dread and both stern guard, 2 strike first turn, one in reserve as normal, however if you give pods to the tactical squads, that allows you to strike both sterns and dread the first turn with two empty pods just hanging out to annoy when they arrive.

You complained about the slow nature of the dread, give him a pod and he wont be slow anymore, problem is. now he's all alone up in the enemy lines trying to inflict as much pain as possible before the opponent destroys him.

so the list will go something like this

pedro kantor

librarian w/ epistolary

10 sternguard w/ powerfist, 5 combi meltas, 5 combiflamers
    drop pod w/ locator beacon, deathwind launcher

10 sternguard w/powerfist, 5 combimeltas, 5 combiflamers
    drop pod w/ locator beacon, deathwind launcher

10 tactical marines w/ plasmagun, plasmacannon, powerfist

10 tactical marines w/ plasmagun, plasmacannon, powerfist

ven. dred w/ extra armour
    drop pod w/ deathwind launcher

ven. dred w/ extra armour
    drop pod w/ dearhwind launcher

1995pts

im going to have the sternguard pods drop onto objectives on the first turn or by tanks or hordes if its killpoints , with the tacticals sitting on objectives in my deployment zone or in cover, then have the dreds drop down behind my opponents lines on the second turn to hopefully force him to pull back some units to deal with them giving my tacticals and sterns some more turns of shooting
    Last edited by bad moon on afull moon; 05-03-2010 at 08:12 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast