BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Yep.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Sergeant

So what you're saying is if you actually suited someone of a larger build up in a full exo suit of 'power armour' you wouldn't actually be able to tell their gender anyway and that actually so long as you didn't really try and challenge peoples gender perceptions with something like a bearded woman and used mini heads with androgynous features or just helmets you could take any existing Space Marine type kit and paint and model it up to look just like the concept above except she would actually be wearing her full chest plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Subs View Post
    So what you're saying is if you actually suited someone of a larger build up in a full exo suit of 'power armour' you wouldn't actually be able to tell their gender anyway and that actually so long as you didn't really try and challenge peoples gender perceptions with something like a bearded woman and used mini heads with androgynous features or just helmets you could take any existing Space Marine type kit and paint and model it up to look just like the concept above except she would actually be wearing her full chest plate.
    No.

What we're saying is we'd like female models. That means we want a variety of female body shapes, not just lithe ones crammed into skintight catsuits. The problem isn't catsuits; there's nothing wrong with lithe skintight catsuits at all.

The problem is that the only female models you can get are in catsuits. You can't get them in body armour. You can't get them in Astartes armour. You can't get them fat. You can't get them stocky.

The problem isn't catsuits. The problem is that GW currently produces nearly one hundred human male heads with uniquely different types of facial hair in plastic (Space Wolves + Tempestus Scions + a few others here and there) ... And only ONE human female plastic head.

And she's part of the Immolator kit, which is now out of production.

The problem isn't lithe women. It's that there are more moustachioed heads than female heads. In real life, moustaches are F**KING DISGUSTING, and yet we've sufficient parts to represent every kind of terribad sideburn, ugly mohawk, and hideous plaited beard... yet only ONE female human head available in plastic.

That's the problem. That pathetic 100,000 men: 1 woman ratio, when in real life, it's 50:50.

Imagine going to a restaurant that only sells olives in pitta bread. You like them just fine, but after a while, you want to try something new. Only there's nothing new. There's only olives in pitta bread. They can be a great flavour; they could be the freshest, most organic olives in the world, the most delicious pitta bread. But if you've had them every day since 1987, you're going to be a little bored of them.

Especially when the restaurant you buy them from tells you how imaginative it is with its recipies for olives and pitta breads. You're like

'Hey, how about a pizza?'

And they're like

'F**K YOU NO-ONE LIKES PIZZA! NO-ONE! NO-ONE WOULD EVER LIKE PIZZA AND YOU'RE A SH*TTY HUMAN BEING FOR DARING TO EVEN SUGGEST THAT WE MAKE PIZZA! WHAT ARE YOU, SOME KIND OF MOZARELLA-WHIPPED PIZZAIST? YEAH, THAT'S IT. YOU ONLY WANT PIZZA TO TRY AND GET SOME OF THAT SWEET MOZARELLA ACTION. EVERYONE KNOWS REAL MEN DON'T EAT PIZZA. LOOK AT ALL THESE GUYS ENJOYING THEIR OLIVES; YOU'RE JUST A FREAK BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT LIKE THEM.'

And you're like

'No, I just want to try something new'

And they go

'SHUT THE F**K UP YOU WEAK LITTLE PIZZA-LOVER'

And the fans are like

'WHO'S THIS F*GGOT AND WHY DOES HE WANT A PIZZA? DOESN'T HE KNOW THAT IF HE HAS PIZZA THEN WE DON'T GET TO HAVE OUR OLIVES AND PITTA BREAD?'

And you go

'No, mate seriously, I don't want to take away your olives and pitta bread. I just want pizza'

And they go

'WELL YOU'RE JUST A STUPID FOOL WHO DOESN'T APPRECIATE THAT THE MENU MEANS YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY HAVE PIZZA. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, BECAUSE IT'S NOT WRITTEN DOWN ON THE MENU. AND IF THIS PLACE GOT PIZZA IN, WE'D HAVE TO CHANGE THE MENU, AND THE MENU'S BEEN HERE FOR THIRTY YEARS NOW, AND PEOPLE WILL JUST COMPLAIN IF YOU ADD NEW THINGS TO IT. AND ANYWAY, LOOK, THAT PERSON WHO LIKES PIZZA IS EATING OLIVES WITH PITTA BREAD, SO WHAT THE F**K IS WRONG WITH YOU?'

And you go

'You know what, your constant caps lock is exhausting and you are exhausting and I just can't take any more'

And you tag in Gotthammer because she's got the patience of a f**king saint

But nothing ever changes and it makes you have a little cry sometimes

And I forget where I was going with this but anyway.

Oh yeah, that was it: And when people trot out the classic line 'you wouldn't actually be able to tell their gender anyway', it's like:

You can tell they're female just fine. Because all we need are plastic female heads. That's it. We don't need 'female' bodies, or sh*tty, horrible, demeaningly [url=http://www.tor.com/2013/05/06/boob-plate-armor-would-kill-you/]stupid[/url] boobplate armour.

We just need every human GW kit to include female heads. That's it. Nothing more. Mantic are doing it, Privateer Press are doing it, literally every other company in the world is doing it. It's basically only GW that's still this backwards, still trotting out tired, ill-thought-out justifications for what is, essentially, unjustifiable in the modern age - and by so doing, making all of us who are fans look backwards in the same way.

I love 40K more than anything, but that doesn't mean I will ever accept the lack of female components as anything beyond a shameful throwback to a less enlightened time.
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-15-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    AUT TACE AUT LOQUERE MELIORA SILENTIO

Brother-Sergeant

Nice models, but if they where wearing their helmets, they'd look just like any other member of the guard in uniform. In order to sell those models as female you're relying on the archetype that women have long hair and don't care about snipers.

Nice models, but if they where wearing their helmets, they'd look just like any other member of the guard in uniform. In order to sell those models as female you're relying on the archetype that women have long hair and don't care about snipers.
    Actually, the [url=http://www.statuesqueminiatures.co.uk/p/9064683/sma304-heroic-scale-female-heads---veterans.html]ones with head coverings are noticeably female too[/url]. I just don't have any of those heads painted up yet. I won't deny it's a subtle difference, but in a game where some models have skulls sculpted inside their purity seals, it'll be one that matters.

And some of those heads have long hair, some don't. Statuesque does some female heads that are bald, so yeah, the long hair argument is quickly disproved:

As for caring about snipers, I point you in the direction of every single Space Marine sergeant, every single Catachan Jungle Fighter, and all 56 bare heads in the Space Wolf Grey Hunter box. None of those guys care about snipers, so that argument's disproved too.

As you can see from my Imperator Furioso-inspired ladies above, female heads don't need long hair to be female, and if the Space Wolves and Catachans don't need helmets to be soldiers, then neither do the women.

Plus, untold billions in the Imerial Guard, if not trillions.

Still a sausage fest models wise.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

'HEY LIEUTENANT MIRA. SORRY THERE'S NEVER, EVER GOING TO BE A FIGURE OF YOU, EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE LITERALLY THE MOST COMPETENT IMPERIAL GUARD IN ANY MEDIUM AND VERY MUCH THE MOST AWESOME CHARACTER IN THIS GAME WHO ISN'T VOICED BY MARK STRONG. BUT HEY, IF IT'S ANY CONSOLATION, THE REST OF US GOT MODELS. YEAH, WE'RE THE FIVE BARE HEADS IN THE STERNGUARD BOXED SET. I MEAN, WE'RE OBVIOUSLY VULNERABLE TO SNIPERS, BUT YOU KNOW, IT'S FANTASY, SO WHO CARES, RIGHT? ANYWAY, A RATIO OF FIVE MALE CHARACTERS TO ZERO FEMALE SEEMS JUST COMPLETELY FAIR.

'I MEAN, THIS WEIRD GUN WILL PROBABLY GET A MODEL BEFORE YOU DO.'

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Yep.
    Modeled off one of the ladies at Blizzard.
    C'est la vie. C'est l'amour. Cela est une pomme de terre.

Brother-Sergeant

Sooo, those noticeably female heads . . where did you get them from cause I'm thinking of doing some oriental / samurai style marines and those heads would be perfect. And I'm not being sarcastic, I am being 100% serious.

Sooo, those noticeably female heads . . where did you get them from cause I'm thinking of doing some oriental / samurai style marines and those heads would be perfect. And I'm not being sarcastic, I am being 100% serious.
    Honestly. No-one ever clicks the links...

[url=http://statuesqueminiatures.shop033.com/Listing/search?keywords=heroic+scale&searchType=2&sortItem =7&sortDirection=0]Click here for a selection of heroic scale female heads![/url]

Note that Statuesque do female heads in a variety of scales, including truescale and their own 'pulp' scale. If you're doing 40K models, you'll want heroic scale, because the others will be much too small.

Oh, and if you're specifically doing a samurai-themed army...
    • [url=http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=209]Click here for 40K scale katana![/url]
    • [url=http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=207]Click here for Astartes-scale sode pads![/url]
    • [url=http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=296]Click here for Terminator-scale sode pads![/url]
    • [url=http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=141]Click here for Astartes-scale Kabuto helmets![/url]
    • [url=http://www.puppetswar.com/product.php?id_product=214]Click here for Astartes-scale Sashimono banners![/url]
    Last edited by YorkNecromancer; 05-15-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast