BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Captain America: Civil War

>.>
    <.<
    o.0

I'm curious more than anything on why there's no thread for this, (and a thread for Batman vs Superman!)

Has anyone else seen Marvel's latest rock 'em, sock 'em crowd pleaser? I particularly enjoyed this movie, having watched Winter Soldier the weekend before. Balances drama with comedy and lightheartedness with some darker moments. Particular highlights are the big fight at the airport, which I don't consider a spoiler because A, it's what you went to go see in this movie, you know there would be a big fight somewhere, and B, the trailers spoiled that it happened, but sweet Jesus it's so fun and creative as it gets rolling.

Best moment has to be that last sequence. Y'know, with that revelation. I really felt sorry for that character when they found out about what happened, and given the weight of movies' worth of characterisation behind these characters, it was a really great moment that cashed in on the investment put into them.

Viewers of Batman vs Superman will find themselves in familiar territory, but this movie can't help but feel like the Porsche to BvS's Delorean, a slicker, more comfortable and more fun ride that only serves to show how badly put-together the other was, despite its appreciable style in parts and inclusion of some likable elements.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

First-Captain

Saw it this week, it was a joy, some really funny moments with two of the characters in particular being hilarious every time they were on screen.

The relationship between Bucky and Sam was great too.

Overall, it had a more believeable set up to a pair of Supers battering each other than BvS and the fights were a lot more interesting, due to the more grounded powers of those involved. The fight in the airport was spectacular, the trailers made it seem like a straight up slug fest but it was a long and involved fight with tons of combatants yet felt easy to follow and fun to watch, which is no easy feat.

I think I know exactly what two characters you mean. The Bug Boys, right? :P

Much more believable, and each side was right in its own way, and the conflicts were the characters driving the plot, not vice versa. Again, that last fight had so much more emotion and meaning in it than the entire BvS movie.

Also, a certain feline vigilante was very well-handled, I thought. Definitely cool and somewhat unexpected as I wasn't familiar with the character.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

First-Captain

Yeah, those two need a buddy movie, I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

Yeah, the motivations were good, Cap wanted to help people, Tony wanted to be absolved of blame, totally works given how they've been fleshed out over the last few years.

I thought the last twist that caused the climactic action scene was a little irrational and not exactly how'd I'd have thought the reaction would go, it was impulsive, which fits but didn't have that moment of clarity and realisation until too late, I guess its a hangover from his arc in AoU and the other things he's gone through that he lashed out when he found the person responsible for another of his losses!

Might be seeing it tonight, looking forward to it.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I thought it was alright, didn't blow me away or anything. I thought Black Panther was cool and liked the new Spiderman. Didn't feel much of a "war" though with only a dozen of them but I suppose Civil Skirmish doesn't have quite the same ring to it :P
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

I really liked it, despite missing the opening half hour or so.

The big fight scene was an absolute joy, but most importantly when it came to our heroes picking their sides, nobody felt contrived, or fifth wheel. And that's definitely no mean feat when you've got that many personalities on screen, particularly when none of them were acting out of character.

Although, I do have a single criticism. As enjoyable a film as it is, it felt very much like a bridging movie, setting lots of up stuff up for later. Not a bad thing, but I can't help but feel that Cap deserves a proper end to his own trilogy.

And yeah. Black Panther and Spidey were superb, and I can't wait for Doctor Strange. Far as I'm concerned, we're now 13 for 13 great movies in one franchise!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I loved it. The big thing is that, despite having a lot more characters than BvS, it felt like it made sense why they were fighting, and why they chose sides, and you actually knew what was going on without having to sift through what you're watching. Dialogue and action were solid. I actually liked BvS, but I feel like this movie was Marvel saying, "Hey, DC, let us show you how it's done." (On that front, the timing and similarities feel a bit peculiar. Wasn't Civil War announced a while back, before we heard about the first Justice League movie? Seems DC decided to do their own "hero vs. hero" story, but get it out first, so there'd be no unfavorable comparisons in reviews.)

Black Panther was freaking AWESOME. I'm so ready for his movie. Spider-Man was also great, it'll be fun to see how his personal movie works.

On a semi-related note... the way Marvel's referencing the MCU in the comics, in a way, feels kind of weird. Agents of SHIELD has its own comic, with the cast of characters from the TV show. Exact names and likenesses. But since it's in the comic continuity, when Spider-Man shows up in an issue, it's the adult Peter Parker in Hong Kong. Whereas with other characters there's enough differences to not feel weird (Captain America looks different, Iron Man's armor is a different style, etc.), this is a group that looks exactly the same in both continuities, and it just feels so weird.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Banned

Two things I have to say about it from my wife's perspective.

My wife loved seeing the "bug boys" and their antics. However, the rest of the movie fell flat to her because she hadn't seen First Avenger or Winter Soldier. So, make sure you catch the Ant Man and other Captain Americas before watching this to help.

I enjoyed it for the most part. The cat was a pleasure to watch and fully believable. Watching the full scene hinted at by the trailer of Cap and company beating the crap out of Stark was also a pleasure.

I do wish that the main antagonist was closer to his comic version, though. But, that would have left a lot less time of Cap v Iron Man or less cat, so I find it only slightly unforgivable.

Chaplain

The thing that I wonder about is it seems that all the baddies in the MSU seem to a suicidal streak in them. Come on, they're going to have to start reviving <RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!> in some of the later movies just so the Hero has someone to fight.
    C'est la vie. C'est l'amour. Cela est une pomme de terre.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast