BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Some rule clarification

Good day gents,

I've just started getting back into 40k after about a 5 year break so im a bunch of editions behind, so trying to catch up again...

I've come across a couple of issues which id love to get some clarity on...

1) formations

more specifically auxiliary formations, am i allowed to use these on their own or can i only take them within a bigger formation...like the emperors spear aerial company

2) characteristic tests vs vehicles

If a walker need to pass a ld or say a toughness test, does it auto succeed or auto fail as it doesn't have those stats listed?

3) Be'lakor

can this prince choose to roll on the malefic chart?

4) Daemonic focus

The rule says that any psyker daemon automatically knows the primaris power of which ever mark it belongs to.....then normal psychic focus says, that if you choose all your powers from a single discipline then you automatically know that disciplines primaris....

so, if I have a herald of tzeentch and choose to take all my powers on the malefic table, id know the spells i roll for on the table, + the malefic primaris + the primaris of the tzeentch table....is this right??

I appreciate your opinions on these issues but id prefer you respond with the appropriate page reference so that i can substantiate the ruling.

many thanks

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    1) formations

more specifically auxiliary formations, am i allowed to use these on their own or can i only take them within a bigger formation...like the emperors spear aerial company
    Technically speaking, there are no "auxiliary formations". There are formations which are "Auxiliary Choices". Auxiliary Choices are options for a certain type of Detachment that use Formations (a special type of detachment) or a list of units as their options.

If an Auxiliary Choice is a Formation (as noted by the Formation's datasheet later on in the book with the triple skull Formation symbol), then it can be taken as a detachment on its own.

If an Auxiliary Choice is not a Formation (no Formation datasheet), it can only be taken as is in an Unbound army. The individual units can be taken as part of another detachment, but that's rather besides the point.

2) characteristic tests vs vehicles

If a walker need to pass a ld or say a toughness test, does it auto succeed or auto fail as it doesn't have those stats listed?
    For those things which require a Toughness test, it usually involves a Wound as the end result. Vehicles like Walkers cannot be Wounded, they only take Hits. And usually if it can affect a Vehicle, they usually are Ld 10.

But the Characteristic Test rules also detail that there is an auto-pass and auto-fail based on the roll, no matter the stat.

3) Be'lakor

can this prince choose to roll on the malefic chart?
    He should have an updated dataslate that can be redownloaded. Any adjustments for 7th Edition can be found there. If you are "borrowing a friend's", make sure they have downloaded it since 7th Edition launched.

4) Daemonic focus

The rule says that any psyker daemon automatically knows the primaris power of which ever mark it belongs to.....then normal psychic focus says, that if you choose all your powers from a single discipline then you automatically know that disciplines primaris....

so, if I have a herald of tzeentch and choose to take all my powers on the malefic table, id know the spells i roll for on the table, + the malefic primaris + the primaris of the tzeentch table....is this right??
    I'm really bad on Psychic Powers and Daemons in general. I think that is possible, but I am not very knowledgable on the Herald's requirements.

kinda why i asked for page numbers as reference...

right so a walker vs dominate.... does it count as ld, auto pass or auto fail?

but thanks for the input

Banned

but thanks for the input
    Page numbers are not always available with digital editions out and about. Each reader will provide a different page, and it can even vary depending on the settings in the reader.

Walker is a Vehicle. Vehicles do not take Leadership Tests. This is the last note before they go in to Vehicle Squadrons. I had to search for it and it wasn't in the place I expected it.

but thanks for the input
    I don't know dominate but as a Dark Angel player we have a power called mind wipe it reduces your initiative ws & bs to 1 further more at the end of the turn you take a leadership test if failed it's permanent. After going the BRB and discussing this at length on our B&C forum our understanding is we can cast the power on vehicle but they auto pass the leadership at the end of the turn.

The main reason the concensus whent this way was it made the most sense with references to vehicles and vehicle crews scattered in various places & there appears to be no reason why the initial part of the power shouldn't work.

Hope this helps

Walkers are Vehicles, and Vehicles have no Ld Score.

Instead, a psychic power which requires a Ld test for the target will specifically say it can affect vehicles, and how it does so. No specific explanation? It can't affect a vehicle.

Can't do an exhaustive list I'm afraid, as I'm at work!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

4) Daemonic focus

Not entirely as another part of the psyker daemon rule is that it has to roll at least one power from the relevant table, so tzeentch for tzeentch and all that, it's in the daemons codex I believe

The daemon codex says ..."May choose" ...it doesnt say it must choose from the aligned psychic table.

I know the Chaos space marine one, says the must have at least 1 spell from their alignment.

Im dealing with the daemon codex

Alrighty another question

So i've got a single model in a combat with a unit, I challenge....can the unit still attack my single character?

I get that if i had unit with my idc and they got killed that the enemy unit can allocate the extra wounds onto the idk....but if i had no unit for them to kill how can they allocate wounds to the challenge?