BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoblar with Pointy Stick View Post
    I don't think it cuts down on crime at all. I asked my roomate about gun bans in big cities in Europe like London and his response was "It just means there are more stabbings in London. But it's OK, people in London have been stabbing each other for thousands of years. It's like a tradition."
    Funnily enought, in America gun crime rates are highest in heavily urbanized areas, and lower in rural areas.

On the other hand, gun ownership is much higher in rural areas than in cities.

There's no real correlation, and especially no causation, between gun ownership rates and gun crime rates.

But this isn't really the place to go into political issues.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

"There's no real correlation, and especially no causation, between gun ownership rates and gun crime rates." yes there is. You just have to seperate the random shootings from the planned ones. The planned ones happen anyway. Because lets face it, if they want someone dead they'll find a way to do it.
    The unplanned ones however tend to disappear with worse gun-control.

More importantly the amount shame behind the crime is directly related to the our willingness to perform it (Japan and Italy being the prime examples of this: Where violent crimes are alot less but embezzlement and simular crimes are alot more frequent (Seriously, japanese doesn't even have a word for mugging. Not like someone is going to embezzle you on the street)
    I Digress. My point is that if you allow guns you are removing the shame of the crime and making it more justified.
    And to make this a warhammer related post. Look at the Imperium, everyone gets encouraged to use guns and then there was nothing but war. Yeah... thinly veiled political message right there,

Chapter-Master

Really guys, gun control?

Can a Mod move this OFF the 40k Boards and into the trash can?
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Really guys, gun control?

Can a Mod move this OFF the 40k Boards and into the trash can?
    Personally I believe in an intergalactic ban on all non-imperial weapons.

Chapter-Master

Yeah, and I'm not even quite sure what message he's trying to get across. I'll just go ahead and reiterate myself:

This isn't the place for political discussion. Offhand comments are one thing, actual back and forth is another. If this isn't going to keep on a 40k topic, then there's no reason for it to be in 40k general. Internet politics only bring flame wars, so keep on topic. Otherwise, the thread should be shut down.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Anyone else got some hilarious pics of real world toys posing as 40k weaponry?
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

Just to say, to try to avert the impending flamewar, I'd just like to say that firearms ownership in the UK is not simply a blanket ban, but merely that it is very highly regulated and more complicated than a lot of people might expect, with an emphasis on security and safety.
    Anti-FSM, Pro-MSoB and proud

Chapter-Master

[url]http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs41/f/2009/014/5/f/40k_LARP_weapons_by_Dezelith.jpg[/url]

Heh, here's some 40k LARP weapons I found on google images. I recognize the topmost three, or at least parts of them.

Yeah, firearm bans aren't doing too well in the US. Concealed carry licenses have been getting more and more wide-spread. Virtually all 50 states are now shall-issue. Plus, the Supreme Court struck down Washington DC's handgun ban as unconstitutional, and will probably do the same with the Chicago handgun ban. Actually, the Chicago ban isn't even about the constitutionality of handgun bans. It's all about what authority city government has, and how it relates to the constitution.

Evil Midnight Bomber

Agreed, discussion of gun control is definitely far off-topic.

Off to the Oubliette with this.
    Oh lord I've got 'em, I've got the...
    ...it's a blog. Read it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12