BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I've noticed few if any take rank and file anymore

As the topic notes, I've noticed that few if any lists involve any rank and file anymore. Particularly R&F like reavers/marauders.

Are we giving GW the sign to stop putting out rank and file models?

Wait for the points system.

Me, I still use them. Most of the little fellas come with a bulk booster, so they can do more damage than most think.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

I like a Dark Feast battalion. My marauders with two handed weapons have been repurposed as Bloodreavers with Meatripper Axes.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

If you can just throw out the elites only, why not use them only? Especially as any R&F older than a few months looks weedy next to the AoS "R&F" models (who are also too often statted up to be elites).

The bulk booster sounds great, until you realize it means you have to drop a very sizable chunk of change to get that boost, and have to paint up all those models. If you can just take a few models that end up being cheaper and a lot faster to paint, why use the others?

It gets even worse when you factor in the base game's reliance on model count as "balance," so if you take R&F, you're actually giving your opponent an advantage.

I suspect the "Matched Play" might help the situation some, but for now, there's just no real incentive to take R&F, and lots of incentive to take non-R&F.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Brother-Captain

Half my Seraphon army is still Saurus Warriors. Part it is that's what I have, true, but they're good enough that I'm happy fielding them. I guess it depends how many models a unit needs to be effective?
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Brother-Captain

I suppose it also matters whether you're playing "competitive" equal sized forces or utilising narative scenarios. If you're playing a narative Game as Bloodbound without a good portion of Bloodreavers it seems a little off.

Time and effort also comes into it. It takes a lot more in terms of time and resources to knock up an effective number of Bloodreavers than Blood Warriors, as you'd need about 4 times as many for a similar power level. This has been always the way though and we've always seen more "elite" armies than hordes.

Only games I see played are all lists like Carnosaurs and a Dread Saurian vs Skarbrand and Daemons, or Nagash and Mortarchs.

Why bring Rank models when you can bring Nagash, pick a Sudden Death assassination objective, and do Hand of Dust?
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Only games I see played are all lists like Carnosaurs and a Dread Saurian vs Skarbrand and Daemons, or Nagash and Mortarchs.

Why bring Rank models when you can bring Nagash, pick a Sudden Death assassination objective, and do Hand of Dust?
    Well because it's a bit crap and there's lots of more interesting scenarios than playing the one on the starter rules.

That's all anyone plays here. WarmaHordes is just straight Caster Kill, 40K was always Kill Points. It's why I'm glad most people play Dropzone now. It's so objective-oriented that it's impossible to play it any other way, so I've been able to force people into objective games. :P
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    That's all anyone plays here. WarmaHordes is just straight Caster Kill, 40K was always Kill Points. It's why I'm glad most people play Dropzone now. It's so objective-oriented that it's impossible to play it any other way, so I've been able to force people into objective games. :P
    That's well depressing. You have my sympathies.

As an aside I found that rocking up with a bucketload of basic troops means I always get a game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast