BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Walrus Lord

Default Suggestions for basing Mordor.

I am working on my Mordor Orc army, but am not sure what to base them on. I want it too look good, but would like to stay away from the typical black broken rock or the plains of Gorgoroth. Suggestions?

I'm going to get glue on them and throw dirt on the bases of mine. Because they're dirty filthy orc scum.

The Alchemist

I think it would be really cool to put models of tiny houses on all their bases.
    You know, because "the house always wins"

Brother-Sergeant

Well, there are plenty of skulls out there, you could embed some in the rocks. Nothing says GW game like skulls.

Also, there are resin lava bases out there and it's not that hard to make your own. You could make islands of dark cork and paint the raw base with reds and yellows, coating the lava in brush on Gloss Varnish or Val. Realistic water effects.

Veteran-Sergeant

What about trying to do something like the end scene of TTT, the dark brown dirt with some fallen wood and brown grass? Not black, but nice and dead looking.

Walrus Lord

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLord127 View Post
    What about trying to do something like the end scene of TTT, the dark brown dirt with some fallen wood and brown grass? Not black, but nice and dead looking.
    I rather like that idea. Thanks!

I've done mine as Misty Mountains, Angmar/Dol Guldur style. So scrubby brown with bushes, occasionally snow.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by iamaddj View Post
    I rather like that idea. Thanks!

No problem, glad you like it.

Initiate

I based my Mordor army to reflect the attack on Osgiliath. I started with a cork base and glued on chopped up sprues to look like stones.

I paint some grainy dirt flocking grey and wash it with Charadon Granite. Then I lightly drybrush white over some parts of it.

This is my little brother's attempt at it, so he used a bit more white than usual: