BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Summer Narrative Campaign Confirmed!

Posting on the fly, as on me phone.

Campaign info lands June 11 according to Aos Facebook group.

Last edited by Mr Mystery; 06-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

To quote my response on the FB page:

It'll be like a Storm of Chaos from the Eye of Terror, a virtual Armageddon!

I doubt many of those kids will get the references. That's three "shape the future of the game" campaigns, and two of them were retconned almost immediately (the two that promised to do actual reshaping), while the one that stuck was a draw.

Hey, I like the concepts, but I'm a little sick of GW wiping them out or moving the goalposts because they don't like the results. I don't want to hear excuses from apologists, we've already seen two retconned entirely, so there's no reason to believe they won't do the same if it's not the result they want, until we've seen the results last a few years.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Except this time we have an actual evolving narrative, rather than a set background.

My money is on this being The Allpoints/Eightpoints, and the attempted seizing thereof.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I can see this one sticking because there is no set narrative yet. I played in the other three and I do hope they don't retcon like they did before.

Chapter-Master

there isn't really anything to retcon it to this time around, no pre-existing narrative to protect. so why not? might as well go crazy with it.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Yup.

Pretty sure there's a set outcome anyways - but every journey begins with a set destination...

Brother-Captain

Storm of Chaos and Eye of Terror weren't retconed they were erased because nothing of concequence actually happened in them. The results were inconclusive and a little dull (other than Grimgor smacking Archaon around but not killing him) pretty much status quo ante bellum . Medusa V did give rise to an increase in the Tau Empire and a codex of the same name. Dark Shadows added some funky magic items to the better performing races and let's not forget Ichar IV which is now well ingrained in Ultramarine Lore.

I'd agree this one has much more scope although I wouldn't expect Archaon, Sigmar or Nagash to buy it or indeed Sigmaron to burn. Still it'll looks like fun and as others have pointed out the background in AoS is still in its infancy so there's plenty of room to forge a narative with a Global campaign
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

First-Captain

Those other global campaigns, once the internet was involved anyway, were subject to massive amounts of cheating. With this one once more only counting in-game victories, there will be less of that.

I just love the home page...

"The campaign itself will be centered around GW retail locations, for recordkeeping, to prevent the vote-tampering"

Bollocks. It's centered around GW retail locations because they need people to come into the stores and buy direct from them to help boost their sales, even if it means they take something big like this and flip a giant middle finger to the FLGS's that helped them become a big enough company to think they can do this stuff.

I've switched my GW purchasing to the FLGS's in this town for that reason. If I'm going to buy something GW-based, might as well help support a local guy who's been around longer than Warhammer. They already got their money from him anyway at that point. (And one of those purchases was Warhammer Quest this past weekend, so not that small.)
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Except they make more money selling to third party stores than they do through their own.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast