BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Chaplain

Default Emergency Disembarkation

According to Pg. 67 of the BRB, when emergency disembarking, "the models are deployed anywhere within 2" of the vehicle's hull, but the unit can't do anything else for the rest of the turn." On page 9 it defines turn as "Whenever the rules use the word 'turn', both in this rule book and in the Codexes, [sic] it means 'player turn', otherwise it will clearly state 'game turn'."

So, if a vehicle is destroyed by my opponent, and the exits are blocked, that means that I can emergency disembark without ANY actual penalty? (As the restriction that the unit can't do anything expires at the end of the player turn...)
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Chapter-Master

yes,

this is to prevent you doing crazy stuff with your units-ie get out on the side with no exits and shoot/charge.

Chapter-Master

Actually, he makes a good point. If he's right, then you can emergency disembark with absolutely no penalty. Your squad doesn't get pinned for a full game turn.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Yup, your squad does not suffer any penalties.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Chaplain

Yeah, I had assumed, and had played that the squad was pinned for a game turn. Seems to be how most people do it. Though it is also important to note you can only emergency disembark if you have no other options.

Still, this creates an interesting situation with Chimeras. It's pretty easy to block that one access point, if you know the Chimera will probably get killed in your opponents turn. That would allow you to disembark from anywhere, and potentially set up a better fire position for the squad inside.

Dunno, just surprised me is all. :P
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Chapter-Master

Right, the getting pinned, but only in your opponent's next turn and not your own, seems kinda pointless. I'm sure there's one or two cases where it would matter, but they would be very, very specific examples.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

You can only get out of the car voluntarily on your movement turn. p.66-67. The emergency disembark rules are to prevent you from getting out on your turn and getting to shoot/charge. (ie, prevent a squad in a chimera gaining a few inches closer to rapid fire weaponry without exposing the back armor.)

When you get out in another phase, it is because you were forced out of your vehicle. The Emergency Disembark is to make it difficult for your opponent to destroy two units with one blow.

When you are forced out of your vehicle, there are other rules in effect, as well-- ie p.67 your car blew up!
    Last edited by Tynskel; 05-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Chaplain

Actually, looking at it again, I have another question. =)

So, it says that a unit that emergency disembarks cannot do anything else for the duration of that turn. At first, the only thing I thought that restriction affected was that units ability to go to ground, but then something else occurred to me: can a unit that emergency disembarked attack?

That is, if a units transport is destroyed, and that unit is force to emergency disembark and then is charged, does that unit get to attack? I'm thinking no, it doesn't (doesn't get a pile in move either).

Chapter-Master

You are correct.

Having said that (that's me being a jerk!), no one plays it that way. Or at least, i have never seen anyone play it that way.

The rules are written with just the player's movement phase in mind.

The emergency disembark is just being applied to another person's shooting/assault phase- which has a series of other rules (like taking pinning checks). The logic format has allowed people to override the 'do nothing that turn' and replace with 'take a pinning check'.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 05-09-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Chaplain

Yeah, but I was also under the impression that the unit was pinned for a game turn and that seems to be the way that most people play it... just looking for the correct interpretation.

It's not a huge deal, as I can count the amount of times I've seen an emergency disembark performed on one hand. Still, it's of interest to me as I'm picking up that bike army and if anything can move to block exits that's it.

Interesting note on the moral checks too- a unit that can "do nothing" can't take a moral check either, it would seem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast