BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

would giving them working bits be a "fluff shakeup" then? lol
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Brother-Captain

It certainly would. Grimnar being late for an invasion because he had to take the kids swimming may not help the narative though 😊
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I thought the functionality of Marine reproductive systems was never actually clarified, but that they did have basically no libido, so even if they were functional, it wouldn't matter because there would be no desire to use them.

It is likely that Marines are not fertile based on the potent cocktail of extra hormones they kick out, but I didn't think there was any fluff actually stating that Marines were infertile. If someone could give me a source for such info if it exists that would be great though
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Lukas The Trickster was/is known for bedding many maidens - and it's not clear if that was pre or post Astartes.

Additionally, Space Wolves (at one point, possibly pre-2nd Ed) had hereditary suits of Power Armour.

I think.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

No instance of Soace Marines ever having children.

Also Space Marine creation is surgical if they could reproduce (and they can't) the children would be normal humans. It has been noted that lineage is sometimes traced via the geneseed. Wargear is handed onto new generations of Marines though but not by conventional hereditary concepts.

I think the lack of reproductive capabilities is mentioned in one of the HH books as one of the drawback of becoming Transhuman. I would have to look back though and there's been a few.

Oh, for sure the offspring would be human, not Astartes.

Hmm, a lack of examples is not evidence of incapability though. Especially when considering indoctrinated soldiers utilised solely as an incredibly elite fighting force, and which can 'reproduce' effectively through other means (geneseed). Not to mention they are effectively asexual in their orientation, so combined with the indoctrination of being pure soldiers, there would be a very low likelihood of wanting to attempt reproduction anyway. Would also explain why the Space Wolves, if any, would not follow this...

However, the HH reference seems like a more definitive answer. Logically speaking, the hormonal soup Marines are subjected to most likely does render them infertile too. Especially when considering that it is pretty damn easy to make humans infertile by playing with their hormones- the oral contraceptive pill being a prime example. Yeah, the pill is reversible, but Marines produce their hormones constantly due to the additional organs, so something that is reversible in theory wouldn't be possible without removing the organ.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Veteran-Sergeant

A black guy
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Really? Did I blink when they added bilateral orchiectomy to the list of surgical procedures?
    It's been a while, but I remember a bit of old fluff talking about the process of making a space marine talking about 'moving and repurposing the testosterone organs' which sounds a lot like removing the testes from the scrotum and sticking them somewhere less exposed as part of the new hormone systems. And considering the hormone cocktails taken by some modern body builders has the side effect of shrinking and rendering impotent the male reproductive organs, I'd be astounded if a Space Marine was still capable of 'traditional' copulation.

Granted, through history right into the modern day, there are strong traditions of the equivalent of all-male special forces units engaging in some interesting bonding rituals, so I would not be surprised if they replace it with something that may make some raise their eyebrows.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    'moving and repurposing the testosterone organs'
    Sounds like a load of old BoLS...
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    Oh, for sure the offspring would be human, not Astartes.

Hmm, a lack of examples is not evidence of incapability though. Especially when considering indoctrinated soldiers utilised solely as an incredibly elite fighting force, and which can 'reproduce' effectively through other means (geneseed). Not to mention they are effectively asexual in their orientation, so combined with the indoctrination of being pure soldiers, there would be a very low likelihood of wanting to attempt reproduction anyway. Would also explain why the Space Wolves, if any, would not follow this...

However, the HH reference seems like a more definitive answer. Logically speaking, the hormonal soup Marines are subjected to most likely does render them infertile too. Especially when considering that it is pretty damn easy to make humans infertile by playing with their hormones- the oral contraceptive pill being a prime example. Yeah, the pill is reversible, but Marines produce their hormones constantly due to the additional organs, so something that is reversible in theory wouldn't be possible without removing the organ.

It's been 10000 years I think it'd have come up 😊.

As I was told at length by a doctor after a fertility test (after my wife made him think I'd been on steroids) excess levels of testosterone wil very much make men sterile (oestrogen will do the same). Apparently men respond to hormones a bit differently in that respect.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast