BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Devilfish Turret Advantage?

The Tau Devilfish doesn't look right with the burst cannon mounted under the nose of the ship. It looks much better mounted as a turret on the top. It was even modeled that way in the Dawn of War games. Having the burst cannon as a turret gives it 360 degree fire range, it does however loses an inch or two in range.

Is mounting the burst cannon on the top, as a turret modeling for an unfair advantage?
    "There's no use permitting some prophet of doom to wipe all your smiles away!"

Brother-Captain

Yes, it's significantly changing the model for gaming advantage.

Doesn't the chin mount rotate 360 anyway? Eldar tank chin guns rotate 360, but obviously can only see targets on the same level as them or lower when firing under their own hull.

I'd say it's a no-no for general play. Granted, the Burst Cannon isn't the deadliest of weapons in the grand scheme of things, but it's modelled with a restricted arc.

Now, from a modelling point of view, one could indeed mount the burst cannon on the top - there's nothing to prevent you doing that. But, you'd need to keep the chin mount, if only to work out it's actual arc of fire. Then you get the best of both worlds - a tank more suiting your aesthetic needs, without your opponent feeling you've got an advantage
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

The devilfish is more akin to a helicopter gunship than a tank (which also have the limited traverse nose mounts).

Think more "cobra" than "Leopard".
    Excuse the frequent sarcasm. I'm an Aussie. It's part and parcel of whom we are.
    "You can take my sarcasm when you can pry it from my cold, dry wit!"

Quote Originally Posted by son_of_volmer View Post
    It was even modeled that way in the Dawn of War games.

No it wasn't.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.