BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Super-Heavy Throwdown

How do?

Relatively fresh from my first Apocalypse game in a long old time, I want to chat about the best Super-Heavies out there.

Now? What is best? I'll leave that to you. But having fielded a pooload of Knights and a Reaver, for me it's about 'bang for your buck', and their overall flexibility.

For me, the undisputed title holder of 'best Super-Heavy in the game, bar none' has to go to the Ordinatus Minoris Sagittar. Now, it's not a model I currently own (well, unless you're reading this on Wednesday in which case I'll totes have ordered it!), but having borrow the Reaver, I've been looking for a centrepiece all my own.

But why the Sagittar? Dead easy....

1) It's a piffling 700 points. That's all.
    2) Have you seen it's gun? 180" range, Str D, AP1, 10" Blast. With Machine Destroyer (re-rolls 1's on the D chart when knacking a vehicle).
    3) 14 Hull Points....so if it does get destroyed, you can use the Strategic Resource to replace it, probably making your opponent curse your name for ever more.
    4) IT'S A FRIKKING HUGE LASER ON TRACKS
    5) It's also got Volkite weapons, which are always a laugh.
    6) Have you seen it's shield rules? -3 Str to enemy attacks in the first turn. -2 Str to enemy attack on the second turn. -1 Str to enemy attacks in the following turns. How awesome is that? With AV14, it's more-than-likely untouchable in the first couple of turns, barring Str D (everything is always barring Str D!)
    7) 6+ static Invulnerable (hey, it's better than nothing!)
    8) Blessed Autosimulcara, so it's got some chance of self-repair. Which is nice.

All that for 700 points. 700. It's a bargain! Only downside is the £285 asking price - though I am kind of tempted to get two.

Yes, it's cousin the Ulator can do disgusting things to the enemy, but it's quite situational. You need a good angle for starters, and stuff really worth shooting at. It's also 300 points more....

So yes. The Ordinatus Minoris Sagittar totally gets me vote!
    Last edited by Mr Mystery; 06-20-2016 at 03:00 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

It says a lot that I read that list and thought, "boy that sounds incredibly unfun to play against." Maybe because I don't play Apocalypse, mind.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

It's not indestructible, and remains massively vulnerable to assault - but that's why it'll definitely have a body guard of Skitarii Vanguard. Nobody wants to waltz through that many Radium Carbine shots!

Now...all I need do is round off my Mechanicus list, and I'll be able to field that beardy formation where all my upgrades are free

I'm also expecting it'll get a points increase eventually - right now, 4 of those are points cheaper than a Warlord, far harder to kill (because there's four of them!) and kick out more firepower....

Oh, and it's immune to Melta's extra D6. Trololololololol!

Last edited by Mr Mystery; 06-20-2016 at 03:25 AM.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chaplain

Reminds me of the scratch built gargant my son and I made back in the day, before GW actually made one. We used cardboard, sprues and a heavily raided bitz box. It wound up with a right hand claw, left arm super zapper and a belly gun. It all fit in with the rules GW put out in a white dwarf issue for scoring super heavies. And the most telling comment when it made its debut, Ït looks like a "Christmas Ork", (Red body, Green head and feet) leading to its name of Santa Claws.

Chaplain

Interesting on the OM(G?) though. If it is vulnerable to assault, it becomes the focal point of the battle. For example, as Eldar I use Jet bikes to engage the guarding unit and get the fire dragons or wraithguard in close. Possibly my jet locks to assault the guard, it's just a matter of tying them up. Even in apocalypse battles I do not really have a DAR super heavy, though I do have a Wraithseer and soon a Wraith Knight, even a trio of Prisms which are currently collecting dust. It does only get one shot per turn right?

Yup - but it's a helluva shot.

Main thing for me is that it's very alpha strike, and most weapons capable of damaging me have to wait a couple of turns for my shield to weaken. That ought to give me time to do some serious damage.

Chapter-Master

For me point for point bang for buck, it is the Typhon Siege Tank. 350 base I think, with the possibility to go 48" S10 AP1 7" blast ignores cover. +1 on thunderblitz. Always counts as stationary for firing so can thunderblitz and shoot.

With only 20 points for ceramite armour it ain't going anywhere fast - except for a bucket ton of Grav or D. Which will see anything off.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Worth noting that new FAQ clarifies that Thunderblitz forces Superheavies to snap-fire regardless of them normally ignoring effects that would normally cause them to snap-fire. It's the Facebook FAQs, so YMMV, but worth bearing that in mind when considering Thunderblitz as a tactic.

The Typhon is sturdy as heck though. Only managed to bring one down through massed Lascannon fire and some solid Bastion Breacher shots when I faced it recently.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chapter-Master

Revenant Titan.

Titan HF's. 4 Str D pie plates. 36" move. Take two and get even better defense.

I think people would be hard pressed to ignore the WK as "best bang for your buck superheavy".
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    Worth noting that new FAQ clarifies that Thunderblitz forces Superheavies to snap-fire regardless of them normally ignoring effects that would normally cause them to snap-fire. It's the Facebook FAQs, so YMMV, but worth bearing that in mind when considering Thunderblitz as a tactic.
    Didn't spot that - what a bummer. Is there any psychic powers which would allow you to Thunderblitz and then not have to snap fire so main gun can still be used?

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post

I think people would be hard pressed to ignore the WK as "best bang for your buck superheavy".
    Is it though? It is massively underpointed, has high T low armour - and is yet another GMC when it should have an AV. That said, even with D or twin D - is its damage output as good? 7" S10 AP1 Ignores cover, ordnance so re-roll to pen. That brings a lot of hurt at 48" when stationary. And more importantly laughs at re-rollable cover saves.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast