BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Chapter-Master

yeah, I am not a huge fan of the Stormcast. Bloodbound, Iron Jawz, and Fyreslayers are cool, but largely more of what we already have, even with shiny new units. Sylvaneth really nail it for me though, lovely models, a cool faction, and coming along with the new rules, perfect really. I was watching the GW video and it says that a force all taken from the same faction gets benefits like a command trait. I wonder if there will be allies of any kind. will I suffer for combining Sylvaneth and Wanderer aelves? would be a shame to miss out on the bonuses.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yeah, I am not a huge fan of the Stormcast. Bloodbound, Iron Jawz, and Fyreslayers are cool, but largely more of what we already have, even with shiny new units. Sylvaneth really nail it for me though, lovely models, a cool faction, and coming along with the new rules, perfect really. I was watching the GW video and it says that a force all taken from the same faction gets benefits like a command trait. I wonder if there will be allies of any kind. will I suffer for combining Sylvaneth and Wanderer aelves? would be a shame to miss out on the bonuses.
    Yeah, it was super humans, orcs, dwarves and chaos, very standard but they probably wanted the more basic stuff to come out first. This feels like the first "true" taste of the settings potential to me. I guess the last "standard race" left are the aelves, I wonder what they will do with them? I'd hope for a focus on the daughters of khaine myself but I think they might just invent more of a whole new faction like they did with ironjaws and fyreslayers. I wonder what they will do with factions like Ironweld and Thunderscorn. Lots of potential now.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Chapter-Master

I could see the aelves and humans both being quite different now, we shall see before too much longer I hope.

What I'm liking is that, so far, the non-Stormcast stuff feels like a logical progression of the races from The-World-That-Was.

I can't wait for Steamhead Duardin, and the Ironweld Arsenal. Mainly because I want to see if GW can make steampunk palatable to mine eyes
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

the war machines and engineering stuff is what I really want to see too

Chapter-Master

yeah, they could have some weird and interesting war engines, plus potential for mixed dwarf/human squads. They will be a very interesting release. Also look forward to the Arcanites after the silver tower birdmen...
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

True that - and I've just been building the Heroes for Silver Tower. Gorgeous models!

Will crack on with the gribblies tomorrow.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I haven't bothered with any of the realmgate books, too expensive and came out too quickly to catch up . but the battletome and handbook, definitely.
    They're pretty large... I'm behind on buying them because it's been work to get through the two I have so far. Not a criticism of the books themselves, I just have bursts of being able to read and not, and with work picking up and dealing with things like my sister dying in February and my mom being pretty poor health, that makes it a bit hard to get through 300 page books of any kind. I've pretty much only been able to read comics lately.

But at least they're pretty to look through.

Definitely not on the cheap side, though... That's kind of another issue. It's either book or models, and models usually win out for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    I think the Sylvaneth really shows what AoS is capable of. This army feels very new and fresh for Warhammer and thats what I want to see more of personally- the first four proper armies (Stormcast, Bloodbound, Fyreslayers and Ironjawz) while cool still felt a bit standard-fantasy for me but this is something more unique. Makes me excited for the future as there is such a bloody massive list of factions now that could have great new models.
    Sylvaneth are Dryads, Treemen, and Treekin expanded. Somewhat merged with elves with the Revenants, but otherwise, they're still a fantasy trope army.

That's not a condemnation of them or anything, but I still don't understand how people think making something bigger and maybe adding a bunch of spikes or unnecessary "detail" (that sometimes makes the model look goofy) changes the fact GW's still doing standard fantasy tropes. They might try to fool you with the goofy name changes (Sylvaneth is one of the few that isn't goofy), but this stuff is just fantasy standard stuck on Outland with Dark Portals connecting everything. Don't see much issue with owning that you're still just doing basic fantasy, though... Game of Thrones is like historical fiction with standard fantasy elements thrown in, and people love it.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

The Handbook sounds nice from some of the previews coming out. Summoning is still going to take getting used to, but I definitely have to give props on charging for battalions, and putting a slight premium on missile units (which admittedly might make it necessary for me to alter my Dwarf army a bit). Still have to wait another week for it, but I'll be happy to grab it and give it a run with my Dwarfs, Undead, and Pestilens/Nurgle (and Orcs, which are kind of a mix right now, given that I have a load of "Ironjawz 'Ardboyz" and a mix of Savage Orcs to go with regular Orcs and Night Goblins). Might even convince a friend to give it a try finally.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123