BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tactical squads

Default tactical squads

having a bit of a think on this, what do you think is the best way to equip tactical squads for
    1) anti-infantry(horde armies)
    2) anit-tank( bleeding mech armies)
    3)balanced
    bare in mind that they have no transports as they sit back on objectives or in cover, while the sternguard go forth.

so anyway, what are your thoughts?
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal....." Endemion, Captain of the Iron Warriors

Balanced, I equip my Tactical squads with plasmagun, Missile launcher and meltabombs for the sergeant, only a 185 pts and can deal with MEQ, GEQ (bolters, I always have my sergeant keep his bolter, so that makes 8) light Mech and Monstrous Creatures,

Being able to take out an tank in assault is handy, and I never waste my shots at a target, cause every target is viable (short of a landraider that is)

just my $0,02

Folkert

Chaplain

1) Flamer/Heavy Bolter
    2) Meltagun/Multi-Melta
    3) Flamer/Missile Launcher

The Missile Launcher also makes a quality AT weapon - but for dedicated tank-hunting, the Multimelta has the edge.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

thanks, folkert0 that sounds promising
    "Huddle close to your Emperor if he makes you feel safe. He cannot save you, for only Chaos is eternal....." Endemion, Captain of the Iron Warriors

Quote Originally Posted by bad moon on afull moon View Post
    thanks, folkert0 that sounds promising
    no problem mate. I did read your post wrong though

I thought you asked what was best, so my bad

1) anti-horde, for me is probably just a missile launcher, but that's because I want to keep that flexibility and because I'm not sold on flamers when you lack a transport, besides a bolter can start firing away from 24" and it's only 170 pts so cheap besides, if you have the points buy a combi-flamer when you get in a tight spot.
    2) hard, because when not using a transport, meltaguns wont be very useful as you have to get within 12" and preferably 6". So i'd say Lascannon and Plasmagun, I know it's expensive, 190 pts, but it has range and even S: 7 will hurt tanks. with left over points buy the sergeant meltabombs.
    3) Already told you what I prefer for this one

even more $0.02
    Last edited by Folkert0; 05-11-2010 at 11:18 AM.

after looking at all the combinations i think ill either go with plasmagun, plasmacannon, powerfist, melta bombs or flamer, missile launcher, powerfist, meltabombs, i think the gets hot risk is worth it for str7 ap2 though it leaves me a bit weaker on the AT so maybe plasmagun, missile launcher hhmmm

Chaplain

Honestly, it depends more on what I want them to do during the battle than what specific enemy type I am trying to kill.

No matter what you do, you should ALWAYS have a transport. I don't know why no one else has mentioned it, but it's pretty much a requirement for building an effective list. Transports are cheap, they effectively double your mobility, and they provide an extra layer of protection as well as mobile walls for you to control the battlefield with.

My Tac Builds:
    1.) Forward assault: Meltagun, Powerfist, Multi-Melta, Rhino. You need the meltagun so you can pop open transports and assault whats inside. Since you are always going to be moving the squad, you'll never really get to fire your heavy weapon, I bring a multi-melta because it's free and nice for death-or-glory when you get tanked shocked.
    2.) Fire Support: Meltagun, Plasma Cannon, Rhino. This is your short-range shooty option. Meltagun is nice for tank busting, and the Plasma Cannon is the best option for dealing with infantry. (Especially heavy infantry.) It's there to shoot hings from the Rhino and only gets out to assault easy targets. I love this squad for objective-holding.
    3.) Tag-Team: Meltagun, Powerfist, Plasma Cannon, Razorback (Usually upgraded to Lascannon/Twin-Linked Plasma Gun). This is one of my favorites. One team with the Plasma Cannon, the others in the Razorback moving forward. This is a great defensive build, if you know the enemy is coming at you, this is the one to take. The shooting squad can sit in cover, ideally on an objective. The forward squad hurls itself into units that have been whittled down by shooting, or at worst acts as a speed bump. The razorback is excellent fire support and a nice mobile wall for when you need it.

You'll notice two things right away, I'm certain.
    First, I never take flamers. Honestly, they are just not worth it. It's much better to be able to blow up tanks or put wounds on monstrous creatures than kill a few more guys before assault. In addition, anything that you would effectively be shooting with a flamer you can shoot to death anyway. Meltagun for 5 points is a steal.

I don't take rocket launchers either. because I don't think they're particularly good at anti-infantry or at anti-tank. Flexible, sure, but not terribly effective. A plasma cannon for five more pointsis a much better option. It loses one strength, so it's not great against tanks (but can still damage them in a pinch) but it is MUCH better at anti-horde and especially anti-heavy-infantry. Honestly, if you're shooting at a tank, you tend to lose out on nine guys worth of fire. Tac squads should be killing infantry, and tank-busting should be left to the other units in your list.
    "Nuh Uhn" is the valid counter argument to "Uhn Huh," which was the entire Affirmative case presented. -JWolf

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Biscuit View Post
    Honestly, if you're shooting at a tank, you tend to lose out on nine guys worth of fire. Tac squads should be killing infantry, and tank-busting should be left to the other units in your list.

Quoted for truth my friend. You might have just convinced me to swap out some Missile Launchers for Plasma cannons

Battle-Brother

A couple of "wider picture" questions.

What size games are you playing? This can change the focus of whether you should worry about units for very specific roles or units with more flexibility.

Who do you play? If your anyone like myself, you might want to come up with a list that you have as a "try and take anyone on" list, but still having some idea of your common opponents does shape a list and the requirements for it in a certain direction. What armies do you face?

i usually play 1500-2000pt games, and yes i do go for 'try and take anyone' lists because i play a big mix of opponents of different skill levels and armies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast