BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sylvaneth

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Not surprised, she's a fairly prominent background figure who has been without a really outstanding model for a long time, and the new one is astoundingly good and not even overly sexualised.
    It makes me feel cautiously optimistic. Heres hoping it leads to more female representation in the future, and not just in AoS.
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

Quote Originally Posted by Asymmetrical Xeno View Post
    "Alarielle the Everqueen has already proven to be one of the most popular Warhammer models in history." (from AOS fb page)

Well, thats promising! hopefully that will translate to more female models!
    By what measure? Yeah, there might be a good bit of talk about her, but that's not really a measurable statistic. I seriously doubt sales figures will back that, because a lot of people who like the model won't be able to afford it. Sounds like marketing posturing. But eh... I'll let them do their thing with claiming every new thing is the most popular ever. It seems to be all they have left to market with these days. "People like our stuff, trust us!"

Personally, I think it's another grand example of them taking what could have been great and making it remarkably normal AT BEST. There's a lot of junk on the model that's unnecessary and looks awful and is there to make people say, "Oh, wow, there's a lot of stuff on the model, that means it's got lots of detail, so it must be a great model and must be worth a lot!" I look at that junk and say, "Lovely, if I ever get rich enough to have that kind of money to throw at the wall, I'll still have to spend way too much time fixing the bloody model so it's presentable as a real model." They could have knocked it out of the park but instead gave into their urge to make a model noisy because they want to impress the easily-impressed crowd (which doesn't fit their uber-niche business plan well).
    Last edited by Erik Setzer; 07-13-2016 at 05:21 AM.
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Guess that's why it sold out for a while?

But of course - you don't like the price, so it can't be that. Must be made up nonsense.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

But of course - you don't like the price, so it can't be that. Must be made up nonsense.
    Pretty much all I've seen on Twitter of late has been Alarielle. Some seriously spectacular work as well. Judging by the rules plenty of gaming to be had with her as well as some serious painting opportunity

I don't know about anyone else but I've found that bigger models need a higher level of detailing because they look a bit barren without it, however with the larger models the detail is so nicely defined it is very easy to paint.
    Last edited by grimmas; 07-13-2016 at 08:02 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

First-Captain

I'm now convinced Erik is trolling us all and he's actually a normal, together guy putting on an act.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post

Or it could be a glitch in the system, or they opted to not make as many as they had prior large models because they saw the demand slipping (but still doesn't mean it's that amazing), or a number of other reasons.

And the price isn't my biggest issue, but I do think the price multiplies the big issue, which is that the model has a lot of "fluff" on it that they threw on to say "LOOK! DETAIL!" and actually just harms the overall look, and I'd hate to pay $130 or whatever for a model I'll have to take a set of tools to in order to fix it. She's not the only model with that problem. Archaon's a $165 model that requires some green stuff to fix, but at least his issues are relatively minor. They're over-"designing" things, and it works with people who love lots of bits on their models, but those are the same crowd who will be impressed with Flash on a website and pretty stars and lots of sound.

If you like that kind of stuff, whatever, go put your money where your mouth is and buy the model and enjoy it.

But where the price does come in here is that, at that price, it's too high to sell well enough to be "one of the most popular miniatures." That's just the way it is. People aren't made of money, after all, and if they have that kind of money around and want to go with GW kits, they're likely going to go with something like Warhammer Quest or grab multiple additions to their army. A high-priced niche model isn't going to have high sales numbers. So that leaves their metric for "popularity" with "sixty people said nice things on Facebook, so she's popular!"

Come on, man, if you want to defend GW against all criticism of any kind, even just perceived criticism, at least come at it from a logical standpoint. They used hyperbole in a marketing comment, it happens, companies make silly claims like that all the time. Thing is, a lot of us know it's just empty hyperbole and not really backed by anything other than the Marketing team wanting to push the latest product. (GW's hardly the only ones guilty of that sin, either. It's a terrible plague in the Marketing community.)
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567