BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default last imperial guard heavy support slot

i all ready have 2 leman russ' with lascannon, heavy bolter sponsoons, pintle heavy stubber, and one has a rough terrain mod. i play against tau, space marines, necrons and some time in the furture eldar. we either never use vhiecals (typo i know but i can't spell the word) but when we do there are only like one or 2. i'm looking to get a squad of 3 griffins in the furture. what would be a good option for that last slot? then also what load out should i give it?

srry my bad i have a valk, hellound chasis vehical (haven't quite decided the load out but leaning towards hellound with heavy bolter) and 2 sentinels one with multilaser and hunter killer it's the older kit then the other one with an auto cannon

on top of that i have:
    comand squad w/ medic, regimental banner, melta gun,
    commando squad with grenade launcher and flamer,
    tech preist,
    one 2 squad platoon autocannon/grenade, missle launcher/grenade and PCS with grenade, another
    platoon with 2 squads heavy bolter/sniper, mortar/sniper,PCS with plasma and power sword sniper/mortar,
    then a platoon with 3 squads 2 with grenade then one with flamer, 2 sgt.s have power sword, PCS has power fist w/ bolt pistol 3/2 flamers other may be a heavy flamer if i have points then platoon standard
    vet sqaud with 2 meltas and a plasma
    Last edited by sicarius2424; 05-13-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    2nd ultrmarines company along with cadian 111th "big red ones"

Abbess Sanctorum

Frankly? The lascannons on the leman russ tanks are kinda out of place when you're also spending so much on sponsons and a pintle mount. You bought so much anti-infantry firepower, but then you try and add a lascannon ontop of it? The Guard aren't like say, Sisters, where it's extremely beneficial to have generalist units...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Given what you play against, I'd snag a Leman Russ Punisher or Executioner. Just buy the one kit and put some magnets in it, and you'll be golden.

Having said that, you can never go wrong with a Hydra section or a Manticore.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Frankly? The lascannons on the leman russ tanks are kinda out of place when you're also spending so much on sponsons and a pintle mount. You bought so much anti-infantry firepower, but then you try and add a lascannon ontop of it? The Guard aren't like say, Sisters, where it's extremely beneficial to have generalist units...
    I agree here. If your just running standard Battle Tanks, the battle cannon should give you all the anti-light/heavy vehicle fire power you need. Saving money on a HB instead can maybe allow you to get extra points for a dedicated anti-vehicle Leman Russ
    http://www.heresy-online.net/daemons/adoptables/10912-dchingus.htm
    Please help my lil buddy by a lil clicky click

Also the new Manticore kit is snazzy and is worth a look.

I'll probably leave myself open for argument, but I have found that the strength of the Guard is in it's vehicles. So if you are playing with only one or two vehicles as the Guard player, you are playing at a disadvantage (in my opinion). I have been playing Guard since long before the new codex, and even then I found I was more successful if I squeezed in as many Leman Russes, Chimeras and Hellhounds as I could.

I also agree with Melissia and Sitnam. The other strength of the Guard is in numbers. I have also found that by leaving off all but the most essential upgrades on all of my units that I find plenty of points left over to buy more units.

Finally, Faolan has a good point. Nothing like a Leman Russ Executioner to show Space Marines who is boss of the battlefield.

Abbess Sanctorum

The strength of the guard is also in its numerous cheap heavy weapons.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Librarian

Executioner is my vote!

Multiple plasma blasts melt all space marines to goo. Plus the higher rear armour is a massive boost.

One of my personal preferences is the Medusa. I nearly always field my "closed top" medusa because a 36" demolisher round makes mince meat of any squad it hits - its only drawback is its low armour values, but it is cheaper than an exectuioner.

These units are only good when facing marines that include terminators though, as a battlecannon toting russ does exactly the same against normal marines, can move and shoot, has a longer range, better armour and is a similar price to the medusa.
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Finally, Faolan has a good point. Nothing like a Leman Russ Executioner to show Space Marines who is boss of the battlefield.
    Quote Originally Posted by TSINI View Post
    Executioner is my vote!

Multiple plasma blasts melt all space marines to goo. Plus the higher rear armour is a massive boost.
    Especially if there aren't many vehicles on the board for the targets to hide in.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

ignore srry
    2nd ultrmarines company along with cadian 111th "big red ones"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast