BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

D&D back in grade school... which was way yonder... 24 or some years ago...
    40k didn't happen for me til bout 12 years ago and it was a friend (that i'd know for ever) but he had never told me bout it til one day over a beer when he brought out some orks he was working on.. been hooked ever since!
    starting with CSM, then TAU, then SM, then Orks, and now finally guard... oh the $$$$ i'be spent on this hobby!

Chaplain

My dad, believe it or not. He was a historical wargamer and he would have been one of the first D&D players back in the 70s. He got me the D&D Basic red box when I was about 10, and then a year later I saw the WHF starter box (10 Woodies, 10 Dwarfs, 10 Gobbos, 10 Orcs, 10 Dark Elves and 10 Skaven) and I bought it before I knew anything about the actual game. Been playing GW on and off ever since.

Funny thing is, I went to my dad's for dinner last night and he tried to get me to play multiplayer Borderlands with him on 360. He's still introducing me to games after all these years

Librarian

40k? Well, about 3-4 years back or so, my friend recommended Dawn of War. I got it, loved it. Then he told me about the TT game, and we both got into it. Been a 40k player since.

Had a boring job that gave me lots of free time and disposable cash. So i thought, why not condemn my soul and destroy all chances of ever having a social life by starting to play around with plastic soldiers.
    My first buys where horrible, I should just have gone with a battleforce instead.

Battle-Brother

There's a GW store next to the movie theater near here, and we'd walk past it every time we went to the movies. My then-boyfriend (now husband) had played when he was in middle school, and I had played D&D when I was in high school/college. The movie we wanted to see was sold out, we decided to wait for the next showing, and we went into the GW store. Downhill from there... the models were amazingly detailed, we each got some, and now we both have multiple armies for both fantasy and 40K.
    Ratgirl

Librarian

I was in grade 7, sitting through the boring teacher droning on and my friend turns to me and says, "hey, take a look at this," and passes me over a White Dwarf, issue 195. I bought it from him that same day for $5, still have it.
    It is not the combat I resent, brother. It is the thirst for glory that gets men cut into ribbons.

Brother-Sergeant

I was at my friends house a few years back and he had his warhammer 40k rulebook on his desk, I asked him if I could read it and he said "sure". Since then I've been playing.

Librarian

Friend brought in the Angels Of Death Codex halfway through year 5 ( i know what the equivalent is for other countries but i was around 9 ) and i loved the front cover. My parents took me to my nearest GW and it went from there. Aahhh the memories.
    My son, ask for thyself another Kingdom, for that which I leave is too small for thee.

Anyone remember those books where you had to pick an option and go to that page, and generally to die in some manner? Then one to Hero Quest, Space Crusade (which is far better than Space Hulk imho) D&D WHFB and finally WH40K.

I still prefer the reading BL, writting my own background and building an army to compeditive play, but still looking forward to rolling some dice once a week. One day I may choose to go to a GWGD.

Battle-Brother

I started painting minis first. Got into Blood Bowl 2nd ed.(the one with the styrofoam field, I still have that), I drooled for a month waiting for Necromunda to be released. After Gorkamorka and Battlefleet Gothic, 40K seemed like a natural progression. currently working on Crimson Fists and Cadians.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast