BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proxy tolerance discussion.

How do?

So some may recall from old threads I've long harboured a plan to field a CSM force comprised of Heresy era armoured Alpha Legion - a force with no outward signs of corruption.

No spikes. No eight pointed stars. Nothing. Just plain, straight up MkIV (because Calth, screw you!) Alpha Legion.

To briefly recap the background concept, they represent efforts to destabilise regions. Show up, accuse the Planertary or System rules of being corrupted Heretics, ferment and lead rebellion, before pulling out when things properly hot up.

Rather than go for an Unbound hotch-potch proxy nightmare, I'm looking to stick to the CSM book......just not the models.

The core stuff is easy. MkIV Astartes are CSM, regadless of armament. Basic Guardsmen models will be my Cultists - there's no functional difference between autoguns and las guns in-game. Terminators are likewise nice and straight forward.

But then things get a bit trickier.

I like the rules for both Mutilators and Obliterators, but the models are far too overt for my concept. Closest in bulk, and design are of course the Centurions. But I fear this is where the proxying might get a bit much for some.

So I'm looking for a litmus test from the good folk of BoLS as to where the 'counts as' goes beyond the pale, as well any ideas I can shamelessly pinch to represent Daemon Engines (except Blight Drones, which have an ideal FW Proxy on the way!)

Oh, and have finally decided to crack on thanks to Calth making the bulk of my force affordable (yes, I could've used MKVII plastics, but man.....all those Aquilas would have to come off!). That any I now own an airbrush so can copy FW's gorgeous paint scheme.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I have always thought the mutes/oblits to be closer to terminators personally. The problem you will have is Mk IV is quite clean lines and elegant - not as brutal as some. If you juxtapose that with any 'fleshy mutations' a la the actual oblits, the force will look quite disparate.

I'd say consider Admech big boy robots mebbe for Oblits. On the other hand, I have just bought some retro original RT dreadnoughts to turn into centurions so mebbe that is an option?

For Heldrakes scratchbuild from straight line mechanical parts such as drop pod door frames.

For Daemon walkers I'd again look at Admech. If you simply changed the turret on a defiler away from something with a head to something with a turret like a LR that might suffice.

Or - the nice clean Alpha legion Mk IVs are your initial PoS in a system, and you realise too late that the bog standard unconverted daemon stuff is the reality as it comes in second wave.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Librarian

Denzark seems to have hit the nail on the head, Ad Mech is probably the way to go, Kataphron Battle Servitors for obliterators would be my choice.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

Chapter-Master

If you use centurions as proxies its to your disadvantage LOS and size wise so I wouldn't expect an opponent to object?

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I think it's more the potential for genuine visual confusion.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

As long as you're consistent in what you use and thoroughly explain each proxy I'd expect most reasonable opponents to be ok with it?

First-Captain

You could just not have them? That would be my answer, you don't need to represent every unit and, I think its fitting that an Alpha Legion cell wouldn't have Obliteraters, given that they're obviously corrupted. I find restricting models is often a good way of making a cohesive and fluffy army. Would the Alpha Legion has need of something as big, noisy and obvious as a Daemon Engine?

I guess this is now a problem with how the game is moving on, when there are going to be more and more big models and armies without them won't have much fun playing the armies that do.

Chapter-Master

There's that as well.
    I would love to see a wall of Khorne berserkers charging across the board with nothing else in play. Doubt it'd do much to a knight though right?

If one of them got lucky with the Power Fist, but yeah, no chance really. :/
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

There are some Centurion/Oblits of the Shanishii variety that look very good (on Dakka I think), so to be honest I don't really see a problem. Can I, as your opponent know and can visually tell what the unit is? That's the biggest concern that I'd have.
    C'est la vie. C'est l'amour. Cela est une pomme de terre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast