BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Good post

I want to say 'very informative', because it is, but worried someone might feel I was taking the piss with a 'much, very, wow' type thing.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Yeah, the Tiger was a brutal war machine, but a logistical nightmare. No commonality of parts with existing tanks, the diassembly took hours and IIRC that was the model which had the ridiculous setup on its track pins which made it incredibly awkward to retrack it. Add on the fact it couldn't travel over small European bridges and had to be entirely retracked for train transport and it's no surprise it never managed to take the offensive.

Also I think the Turret, Tracks and Gun definition is a broad strokes thing, it applies more than there are exceptions to it. The early tanks don't really count as one, they were considered Landships and tanks was merely a codeword, and two, tanks didn't really come into maturity until WWII. Like trying to define butterflies by their caterpillars.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Banned

A good tank movie is [URL="http://www.moviesub.net/watch/lebanon-2009/1803.html"]Lebanon[/URL]:

It's compared as the Das Boot of tank movies, and it's not a bad one. The film is shot entirely within the tank, so all you see is through the gunner's sight or out the top of the hatch. It's pretty grim, and a little cliche in parts, but well worth a watch.

Also The White Tiger:

It's the Mody Dick of tank movies (actually more the the Tiger is a metaphor for fascism but whatever)

There is also of course Kelly's Heroes, not all about tanks but they are of course important to the plot & there are some great tank battles.

And of course:

And never forget that [URL="https://new.vk.com/video11378954_171360477"]Hetzers gonna hetz[/URL]

Chapter-Master

I enjoyed The Beast, and Battle of the Bulge has loads of tanks in too.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Because it's hardly a tank thread discussing movies without it...

Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

I prefer Ghost division

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

+1 for Lebanon and White Tiger. Lebanon is intense, uncomfortable, and so damn good. White Tiger is a surprisingly unpatriotic Russian Great Patriotic War movie, with some epic battle scenes.

Also Girls Und Panzer goes without saying. I think Operation: Kill Serve is the single greatest piece of tank battle footage ever.

Chapter-Master

is that the film? Still need to see that.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

It's in the film and it's glorious. IMO the best bit out of the whole thing.

Took a trip to a nearby Tank Museum today. They had a Scimitar, Centurion and Saladin running around an "arena" during the day. (Also had the AVRE Centurion. I pity the person loading those 165mm shells, they weight a ton!) Was pretty cool seeing the tanks running around, the Scimitar is hilariously fast, but the AVRE had a bit of trouble with her engine and wasn't running at her best.

[URL="http://s148.photobucket.com/user/coffeegrunt/Norfolk%20Tank%20Museum/story"]Pics.[/URL]

They also had some living history groups with a load of German and Russian wartime weaponry, plus a few displays. Was an interesting trip, and they had a display by a P-51 Mustang at the end, which makes the most awesome noise imaginable.

They've got a lot of static displays they're attempting to refurb, including one of the very first prototype Centurions, (has the prototype number stamped on its front.) I took a lot of pictures of weathering and stuff as reference for myself, but people are welcome to use it if they want.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast