BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Communitys opinion on cartoony models

I am trying to pick between a more gritty color for my models or one with a lot of highlights and shading. Just wanted you guy's opinion on this.

Chapter-Master

FWIW I think 'cartoon'y should be what manga action figures look like, not 40K minis. I saw some only recently in a tournament - the paint job was the result of huge skill beyond my own meagre powers, but I thought it looked very out of place.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I prefer a more muted, realistic palette - think Star Wars' 'used universe' look, rather than hyper stylised anime inspired stuff.

As Denzark says, impressive as such paints job are (very, in case anyone was wondering) they just ain't 40k!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

I have a mix of styles. My Guard have a Forge World-esque dirty, dusty, weathered look as it suits them IMO. Greasy, oiled mechanics, dust-covered tracks, paint chipping away, over a desert scheme.

My Tau are all airbrush gradient blue made to look shiny, with orange glows and muted grey under-armour to counter the overbearing blue a bit. I wanted them to look a bit Anime, it suits their style. :P
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Would this be too cartoony? [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12Yr_uUz1Y[/url]

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Damikes View Post
    Would this be too cartoony? [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s12Yr_uUz1Y[/url]
    That's fine. Space Marines are supposed to be vivid and heraldic. The trend to make everything brown and gritty and excessively battle damaged is boring.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Yeah I feel the same way.

Chapter-Master

Do what you want they're your models that you paid your money for. Want fluorescent hot pink? go for it!

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Veteran-Sergeant

Just google 'Hello Kitty Marines'
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Any army will look "in place." Just paint it how YOU want it to look. You can always find some reason for it. People trying to dictate "how 40K looks" miss that it's gone through a lot of looks over the years, and it's tiring when some Johnny-comes-lately claims my Orks painted up like a proper Ork Waaagh! circa second edition (i.e. with units from different clans based on their battlefield role) is "wrong" because they're not all bland, boring colors (and all painted the exact same colors). If you like a scheme, do it. If some tosser tries to claim it doesn't look "right," ignore them, and if they keep insisting, find a heavy hardback fluff book and smack 'em with it.

It's also amazing that some of the same people who'd argue that you should "play the way you want" seem to be against "paint the way you want." Seriously?
    Critical statements above are not intended to promote negativity or dislike, they are meant to add to a discussion where the positive points have likely already been stated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast