BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

Default Instant Death and Acid Blood

It's a slow day and I'm painting my nids...As I was surfing these boards I came across [URL="http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=7123"]this thread[/URL].
    Anyhow, it sparked this in my mind -

Acid Blood
    (pg 84 Nid codex)
    For every unsaved wound a model with acid blood suffers in close combat, the enemy unit that struck the blow must pass an Initiative test of suffer a wound. no armour saves or cover saves may be taken against these wounds and casualties count towards combat resolution. Walkers instead suffer a glancing hit on the d6 roll of a 4+.

Instant Death (pg 26 BRB)
    If a model suffers an unsaved wound from an attack that has a Strength value of double its Toughness calue or greater, it is killed outright and removed as a casualty.

Determine Assault Results (pg 39 BRB, 4th paragraph)
    only [count] the wounds actually suffered by the enemy models (including all of the wounds lost by models that have suffered instant death).

Ok, so my question is this:
    I do 1 wound to a creature with acid blood. That 1 wound is double toughness so the creature suffers instant death. That Creature had, lets say, 4 wounds total. Now we all know for combat res, I get 4 wounds. The creature only took 1 unsaved wound, but that triggered instant death... but how many Initiative tests to I take because of Acid blood? 1 or 4?

I'd say only one, because you actually only inflicted one wound. This will seem strange for some types of Instant Death wounds and totally appropriate for others, so it balances out in my mind. For instance, if you ID a tyranid with a Demolisher shell, you might expect acid blood to spew everywhere. But if you ID a tyranid with a force weapon, it really wouldn't bleed all that much. ID a tyranid with a krak missile and you get a gory mess; ID a tyranid with a multi-melta and all you get is some steam ... etc.

Hivefleet Cobra-Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    I'd say only one, because you actually only inflicted one wound. This will seem strange for some types of Instant Death wounds and totally appropriate for others, so it balances out in my mind. For instance, if you ID a tyranid with a Demolisher shell, you might expect acid blood to spew everywhere. But if you ID a tyranid with a force weapon, it really wouldn't bleed all that much. ID a tyranid with a krak missile and you get a gory mess; ID a tyranid with a multi-melta and all you get is some steam ... etc.
    Acid blood only works on close combat attacks

But I was leaning towards only one save as well.

Here's what I came up with:
    1) You only count those instant death wounds for purposes of combat res (ie, after the combat is done and calculating combat res)

2) The Creature still lost all 4 wounds, but only took 1 unsaved wound.

3) The Creature only suffered 1 unsaved wound, not 4, it only triggers 1 acid blood 'attack'

then again, I'm been going back and forth on this all day...But No one has come up with a reason it should be 4 wounds. heh, its funny what happens when you quote the actual rules and not "I think it says this" statements.

Chaplain

It only actually suffers one wound in close combat, the rest are lost to id so yeah one initiative test id say

Chapter-Master

I'd agree with the one save, as Instant death doesn't say 'the model suffers multiple wounds', just that it 'is removed as a casualty if it suffers a wound that inflict instant death'. So it still only inflicts one wound, even though you lost multiple wounds.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

That is a one tester right there!