BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Best way to deal with an assault army?

I am running mainly a ranged army (spare two sets of termies with power fist.), and most of the players at my club run assault armies. I can never seem to wither them down enough before they get within assault distance, and I always get messed up bad. Any thoughts?

Skip the terminators. they eat up so much points without contributing anything.

Veteran-Sergeant

Without knowing what you generally use, it's hard to say. Predator destructors, twin autocannon Dreds, or HB Devastators may be options to consider.
    Yes I misspell stuff, you'll live.

Would you use a lot of flamers?

Chaplain

Shoot em?

I mean Assaults don't usually happen before turn 3, even with deep strike or flanking moves so you have a lot of shooting before then. What are your weapons? They should include some template and blast weapons for those pesky swarms.

For example, one lad decided to assault my Wraithguard with Ruststalkers, which seemed a reasonable proposition. The only problem for him was my WG were armed with D-Scythes and so got the wall of flame rule meaning D3 hits from each template on the assaulting unit, that's 5 scythes - you know the D weapons. It was carnage and only two got through from a squad of 8 and it was his assault turn so I moved on my objective in my turn anyway.

Another example was he flanked my D-Cannon with a 5 man squad of Rust Stalkers, but could only shoot the turn he came on. I swooped in on Jet Bikes blasted him with catapults and tied him up until a passing Avatar applied the finishing touches.

Seriously, shooting armies have the upper hand at the moment, so its either deployment or your weapons choices not putting out enough shot. But if you have terminators keep them in support for counter assaults or are you losing your units as they are assaulted. In which case maybe use the bog standard terminator with storm bolter and power fist to add to the wall of shot.
    Last edited by Da Gargoyle; 08-02-2016 at 12:31 AM.

I am doing better now that I converted my army to have more template, and blast weapons, also I got a land raider crusader which has helped a lot.