BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default HOLY CRAP, Frag Cannons RULE!

How on earth did we all go on so long without anyone mentioning the Blood Angel Furioso Dreadnought's Frag Cannon upgrade?

We just saw a dread put 23 wounds on a unit with it the turn it came out of a pod... That many wounds means who cares about armor saves... and the rending is just a cherry on top.

Assault 2 template weapons are a mean piece of business. Now the question is can you equip the frag cannon on a Furioso Librarian. I think you can...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Veteran-Sergeant

GW Brainstorming Session:
    Dev1: Okay guys, how's this: we give the space vampires a dreadnought AV 13, psychic powers, the ability to fly, lightning claws that give it extra attacks every time it wounds, a magnetic grappling hook, AND a thunderfire cannon on one arm?
    Chorus:Yeah, sounds good, man, now pass over the ganja!

Battle-Brother

I noticed how awesome the frag cannon was as soon as I got the codex, I love podding them behind a vehicle, auto hitting with 2 str 6 rending attacks and a meltagun is pretty nice on a squad of leman russ

and yes you can put it on a librarian dreadnought, though you are down to str6 force weapon if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Yhcrana View Post
    I noticed how awesome the frag cannon was as soon as I got the codex, I love podding them behind a vehicle, auto hitting with 2 str 6 rending attacks and a meltagun is pretty nice on a squad of leman russ

and yes you can put it on a librarian dreadnought, though you are down to str6 force weapon if you do.
    Hmm... are you not automatically at strength 6 for your force weapon?

A Furiouso Librarian has two weapons - a force weapon and a DCCW. You should be forced to designate which one you are attacking with, correct? A DCCW is not a normal close combat weapon.

But you're right, the frag cannon is awesome. That's why it's important to read the entire codex. 10+ rending wounds (assuming you didn't absolutely mess up and place him where he couldn't hit 5 or more guys), and don't forget the heavy flamer on the other arm! Honestly, this, along with the fast vindicators, was what excited me and made me consider forming a small BA army.

And since you can't give them psychic powers, twin lightning claws with the extra attacks, and the frag cannon all at the same time, it's just as powerful as having three different options in the codex with those options.

"Here's an idea, we have a guy who can move enemy units around and cluster them together for blasts, and can shoot a battle cannon, and can score with toughness 5 and FNP (and split up amazingly into 5-20 guys)."

Considering you can't do all that you said with the Furiousos, it's not terribly crazy.

It can take 3 templates overall if you like - now that's spells infantry death in many different languages

(I think nobody was mentioning it out loud so that the opposition wouldn't notice until it was too late )

Ok, I have wondered this for years so I finally have to ask. What happened that allowed him to hit 12+ models with one template? Really, short of Lash, I can't think of a reasonable scenario for this to happen in.

Sincerely,
    Sam

Fly Lord

Hey SamOfTheTribe,

The frag cannon is an Assault 2 template weapon, so with a big squad packed in, you hit them all, then do it all over. If the dread's other arm has a heavy flamer, you lay down a third template and one can see the potential for shocking numbers of wounds inflicted on a single squad.

As for the packing in of models, it is very common after an assault on on a vehicle, which leaves squads piled in pretty tight.
    Last edited by Bigred; 05-18-2010 at 12:31 AM.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    How on earth did we all go on so long without anyone mentioning the Blood Angel Furioso Dreadnought's Frag Cannon upgrade?

We just saw a dread put 23 wounds on a unit with it the turn it came out of a pod... That many wounds means who cares about armor saves... and the rending is just a cherry on top.

Assault 2 template weapons are a mean piece of business. Now the question is can you equip the frag cannon on a Furioso Librarian. I think you can...
    That's because you DON'T READ PEOPLE'S COMMENTS. Or when I write one, you think I am full of Sh!t.

Day One when the codex came out I was saying-- Str6 Frag Cannon with rending... average drop pod landing will be 14 hits plus another 7 from a Hv Flamer...

The answer for the libby is YES. you can replace a blood fist for free.

I like to do it and take Wings of Sanguinius and Smite. Smite is for when the drop pod lands-- it is like a little 'Hah!' when you land.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 05-18-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Ok, so adding in the Heavy Flamer, that's still 8 models per template, assuming you only fail 1 roll to wound.

So I guess my real question is this: Why do people ever willingly have their squads deployed so close together, let alone when they are facing podding tri-template dreds of doom? I have seen players at 'Ardboys with tactical squads deployed in base contact with them selves in open terrain (no cover) ~20 inches from enemy vindicators when the vindicator had the next turn. So after years of asking people politely why they do this and getting no satisfactory answer, I had to ask here.

Sincerely,
    Sam

Ps. I get the piled in after a vehicle assault bit, that is the one thing that is difficult to get around. As I am guessing that is the case here, please forgive the quasi rant about unit spacing, it's just one of those things that I have seen lose games for people over and over, and to this day just don't get.
    Last edited by SamOfTheTribe; 05-18-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: A Duh! moment...

Chapter-Master

Not so many people are as bright as you are. Laziness might be the answer...

It isn't always about packing them in close. My favorite weapon to take is Flamer in a Drop Pod. When you land, you have a wide range to place your flamer to maximize hits-- there really isn't much your opponent can do to prevent you from hitting roughly 7 guys (if you land at point blank range).

I wish the strangle web was a little stronger- coming out of a Spore Pod with 2 of those things would be quite nasty. As of right now, it puts out maybe 2-3 wounds. Maybe...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast