BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Some sort of 40k End Times hinted at....

Spinning off into it's own thread.

Check out what GW had to say on their FB feed about the Battle for That Word I Can't Readily Spell, But Is Used In Polite Society To Say 'House', Because Reasons.

Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Well, The Talon of Horus, specifically ends at the cusp of the 13th Black Crusade with Iskandar telling the Inquisition that the End Times - actual caps in the book - are coming. When the Inquisition ask why he walked right up to their fortress and surrendered himself to tell them, he says it's because it matters not whether they know, they're set to fall anyway.

It's interesting that GW are openly acknowledging the steady fluff advance though. Tau Empire is looking pretty dishevelled and Aun'va is dead, but it seems that the Enclaves are working with the Empire in the darkest hour. The Ad Mech are making deals with the DEldar to fix the Golden Throne. The Ad Mech are ever on the verge of civil war over the nature of the Omnissiah. Leviathan is tearing Baal apart while the greater hive fleet encroaches, Ghazghull is marshaling Ork hordes across the galaxy for the biggest fight ever, and of course it's Smackdown On Cadia with Abaddon giving number thirteen a swing again.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Really interested to see what happens here.

I'm not expecting a Warhammer style reimagining. Age of Sigmar is great and all, but 40k doesn't need that level of makeover, and it's IP remains one of the strongest out there.

So I'm expecting background shifts only for the most part. No death of the Emperor. No Abaddon becoming the fifth Chaos God, no Eldar suddenly being everywhere. Just a shift in the inter-species dynamics and that. For instance - Baal. We could see the Blood Angels up sticks and relocate to a different world. That'd be a significant advancement, without negating people's collections. And a rejig of the rules - possibly a 40k App to match the AoS App (which is a great boon!)
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Well its nice that GW is admitting a 40k end times is incoming.

Hold onto your hats.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Chapter-Master

Just give me an Enslaver plague already ffs :P
    Please support a Poor starving musician and buy my new album for only £5 :
    https://ionplasmaincineration.bandcamp.com/album/decoding-the-quantum-star-verses

I wouldn't mind them doing an End Times on it, because End Times was awesome, and most people seemed to agree. It was what came after End Times that made people mad, and to be fair, I don't blame them.

That said, I'd personally like to see an alternate edition of 40K with a ground-up rebuild. Have it be a distinct format from standard 40K so that the two can exist parallel to one-another.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Chaplain

They have to have an End Times because my favorite army is finally getting an official codex.

Chaplain

[url]https://futureofstarwars.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/ihaveabadfeeling-luke.gif?w=520[/url]

Late to the party again. Been out of it for awhile, what can I say...

THESE are the kind of threads I like. the What-ifs and what-abouts, dig 'em. It allows me to spout off my crazy, tin-foil hat wearing, crack-pot theories (without TOO much derision)! So, put on yer best Tin foil caps and let's play What are you Smoking!?

It seems that the overall consensus (in this thread) is that GW isn't likely to do a total reboot of 40K. An End Times series perhaps, but without all the anger of the AoS style reset. That's all good and all. But if you did do an ET, how would you go about concluding it? Well. It just so happens I have a few regrettable ideas...

Crack-pot Theory #1.
    The Dream Sequence. Someone important (or just well known, possibly The Emp or Horus if you want to go that far back), wake up one morning and say "Oh, it was all just a stupid dream. Very well then, lets get on with all this conquest business", or something similar. BAM! End Times ended. Albeit in the most irritating and idiotically cliche way possible. (Jeez, can you imagine the amount of fans that would lose their sh*t)?
    So, Possibility Factor on this cra-cra idea? Pretty much NIL. (But honestly, sometimes I wouldn't put it past 'em).

Crack-pot Theory #2.
    The Eleventh Hour Save. So the Universe goes all apesh*t violent, (even more so than normal). Everybody's fighting everybody else, strange alliances are happening, cats are sleeping with dogs etc etc. Ya know, Friday night at the pub. But just when things look darkest for Humanity, (and pretty much everyone else), something or someone comes along to save the day. "WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WILL SHOCK YOU"! Enh, probably not. Maybe the Emp wakes up or the Primarchs make a glorious return or some artifact gives the Imperials the upper hand, everybody comes together to fight the 'Nids while singing Kumbaya... whatever it is would have to be good and more or less believable.
    Possibility factor? Enh. personally I think it would be neat, but not likely to happen.

Crack-Pot Theory #3
    Aliens. (You knew it was coming). A new force enters the fray completely upsetting the fragile balance of power causing all sorts of events to occur. A completely new group is introduced or one of the races that were long ago cast aside (Squats, Beastmen) or never really developed (Slaugth, Barghesi, etc) come back with a vengeance. Alliances change, homeworlds shift as territory is lost or captured, New tech, psyhic powers (or even Magic) come to the fore. A rediscovery of forgotten things (an intact STC computer) or perhaps the Eldar condescend to instruct the Mon-Keigh in the use of their psyhic talents, (they could open a chain of schools throughout the Imperium, like Montessori's only violent). All sorts of variations on this theme could be possible.
    Possibility Factor? Actually, maybe not all that bad really. Stranger things have happened.

That said, I do like Coffeegrunts' idea of a parallel build. That could be interesting. I'd love a smaller squad based skirmish style game too. Fluff re-writes and rules resets would most likely be the outcome of a 40K End Times, but how to end the End Times and what comes after? There's the real question. I'm sure GeeDub has it all figured out already.

Tune in Next Week for the episode of How The Universe Burns.
    na na na na na... wut?

For me, I think this might about to change the clock from two minutes to midnight, to either one minute to midnight orthree minutes to midnight. The future looking marginally darker, or marginally lighter.

Why? It's do with the main reason I really get on with AoS as a background. In short? We're. Not. Doomed. Resistance is not in fact futile. Chaos can be denied. With the right effort, collaboration and sacrifice, the 'good' guys can actually win.

I find this appealing precisely because of 40k's oppressive atmosphere. Nihilism is fun, the sure and certain knowledge that 'aaaaaaand we're all gonna die and end up fodder for utterly insane warp entities which may or may not be a corruption of otherwise largely balanced and benevolent deities'......but to introduce hope to that - even the merest hint of redemption that isn't utterly futile?

Yes. That's a change I can fully embrace.

And it doesn't involve a major shift in the background either. Doesn't involve extinction of any known race, playable or not. Doesn't detract from decades of background. It can enhance it all.

So let's say Eldrad succeeds in whatever he's up to - even partially. If he is indeed intent on corralling Slaanesh and bringing about Ynnead - that's gonna have Warp Based repercussions. It could be enough to imbalance things to the point that Chaos loses its 'concentration'.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast