BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Question Dwarves/Steamhead Duardin?

Hello folks! I just have a quick question, I don't know if there is a straight answer or only opinions on this, but I hope to clear something up.

I never played WFB, but I really like the look of AoS and would like to start building up a Duarding army and hopefully turn it into a full Steamhead Duardin force... I purchased a single box of Ironbreakers/Firedrakes and am putting them together even as I was thinking of typing this up. I was actually thinking of going to even buy one more set of these guys since my local shop still has them, but then someone told me something which got me worried.

They told me that these models might soon be defunct and I might just be wasting money. They said when the Steamhead Duardin fully release these models will be scrapped and unusable. I really like putting them together so far and they seem cool, so if this is true I will be pretty sad.

Is this true? Should I put off buying another set of them? Will the steamhead only be new models and entirely replace the dispossessed?

Also, on a side note, if these models are still worth buying (on the off chance), where could I get another set of 10 bodies for them? They come with the extra bits to build one set of each type of unit, but not the torsos since you are supposed to pick one or the other... but I would love to get both. I just can't seem to find any for sale anywhere on the internet, they are all out of stock. Any luck there?

Sorry if these are newby questions!

Brother-Captain

All the models available when AoS was released are still playable even the ones that have been discontinued like Tomb Kings and Bretonians.

What they are telling you is conjecture and not really based on any evidence what so ever. As it stands when a faction from the grand alliance books have been given a separate Battletome they've not lost any units and no models have been removed. Flesh Eater Court, Bone Splitters, Sylvaneth, Seraphon, Beastclaw Raiders and Pestilens have seen only units and models added not any being taken away. Yes a bit of a cull happend with the release on the Grand Alliance books but nothing since. Also the Firedrakes/Ironbreakers are some of the most recent releases for the Duardin (or Dwarfs as they were then) so they'd be much less likely to be removed. I'd say you'll be fairly safe to pick up another box, the Firedrakes are pretty AoSy as well.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Brother-Captain

Not quite true: Seraphon did lose a few models, namely Jungle Swarms and Skink Chiefs. But troop models are very, very likely to be fine. And if they change, you'll be able to mix them in with the new models without much hassle. The older warscrolls will not go away either, so if you want to run them as is alongside the newer models you can do that too.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

Chapter-Master

it will be fine, the Irondrakes and Ironbreakers have been moved over to Dispossessed and Ironweld Arsenal factions. they are pretty recent models in the grand scheme of things, I am sure they will be staying.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Yup.

If they were going, they'd be gone by now - all the factions have their bumper books after all.

But.... It might be worth noting Steamhead Duardin are looking to be an entirely new type of Stunty O'Nolegs - much in the same vein as Fyreslayers and Ironjawz are. So whilst I'm sure existing Stunty models will fit in just fine, they'll be a range unto themselves

Next time you see your source, tell him not to talk bollocks, and poke him in the eye*

*Mystery Industries do not endorse their own advice. It can lead to injury, crippling injury, death, arrest, jail time and possibly deportation. Do not take our advice - we don't even listen to it!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Morgrim View Post
    Not quite true: Seraphon did lose a few models, namely Jungle Swarms and Skink Chiefs. But troop models are very, very likely to be fine. And if they change, you'll be able to mix them in with the new models without much hassle. The older warscrolls will not go away either, so if you want to run them as is alongside the newer models you can do that too.
    Those are now found under the "Lizardmen" heading under order in the app. I haven't found much that has no new rules. (although it does suck that they are no longer part of the seraphon anymore for some reason)

Brother-Captain

Nothing has been lost from any of the factions since the Grand Alliance books.

Of course Kirsten and Mystery make a good point there isn't a Steamhead Duardin faction yet they have been mention in passing in the background but we don't know what they are, the units mentioned are in the factions from the Grand Alliance so On evidence they are here to stay they might get moved factions though.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.