BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default 1000pt Guard for Semi-competitive tourney

My local event organizer is holding a simple 1000 point tournament the Wednesday after next. I have been deliberating about what kind of list I want to make with the models I have available, and came up with this list.

The underlying idea is to have a lot of indirect-firing weaponry. The tables used at the last game night were 5'5', instead of standard 4x6, which made weapon ranges factor in more. I wanted to use a pair of Griffons, as they are fairly cheap and can lay down two large blast templates up to 48 inches pretty accurately. They are enclosed, because I am concerned about playing other guard players (of which there are two that I know of at the local scene) commencing counter-battery fire with artillery of their own, or flanking them. That, and I had an extra 30 points, and it was either a Master of Ordinance or enclosed crew compartments.

HQ

CCS- with Vox, Regimental Standard, Missile Launcher Team, CO with Powersword
    Mounted in Chimera with a dozerblade, a hull flamer, and a pintile stubber.

TROOPS

Infantry Platoon- PCS has vox, 2 flamers, and Krak grenades. Squads 1 and 2 both have Vox. There is also a Mortar team attached.

Veteran Squad 1- 3x Meltaguns, Carapace

Veteran Squad 2, 3x Grenade Launchers, Carapace

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battle Tank- Lascannon, Pintile Stubber, Dozer Blade

Ordinance Battery, 2 Griffons- Enclosed Crew Compartments

Total:
    1000 points.

I find it very hard to fit in everything I want at 1000 points, but that is the list size this time. It also sucks only having a single chimera and a single russ, but there isn't much I can do about that with this event being just over a week away. Any suggestions? I will try to take them all into account, but my Guard army is pretty new so I don't have a lot of the models just yet.

Some options I threw around:
    Armored sentinel with lascannon: 70 points, with options for smoke launchers or HK missile for + points

Master of Ordinance: Throwing down a large ord. template for that cheap was tempting. Couldn't I just pillbox him in the Chimera anyway?

Weapon options: I still have models for 2 plasmagunners, 1 grenade launcher, 1 sniper, and +voxes. I didn't really want to shove them in anywhere where they would cost points from other units.

Griffons: Enclosed crews a waste of points?

Chimera: Was putting the command squad in the 'mera the most effective use of it, or would mounting the melta-vets in it be better? I could then switch out their Carapace for Demolitions doctrines. They only have carapace because I thought that way they would actually reach the enemy armor...

Special Characters: Creed, Straken, Pask? I have models for these three but thought the point limit for the list was a little too low to include any SCs.

I'd love some detailed feedback. Thanks for looking.

If you want to go ordinance heavy then go all out. Get rid of the Enclosed Crew Compartments for the Master of Ordinance.

Giving the melta Vets the chimera I would say is wise so you have some sort of mobility to take objectives and the help those meltas get in range.
    Last edited by Skitter Leap; 08-09-2009 at 03:54 PM.