BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Looking to get back into 40K with Kill team

I've been in the warhammer/40k community since 2000, I left 40K a while ago after the mess Matt Ward made of it and i quit warhammer when AOS came out. All this factored with GW's crappy business practices made me walk away from the universe i loved.

However im being tempted to get back into it will Kill team on a small scale, ive always loved the adeptus mechanicus stuff and the skitari.

What are people's opinion on the new kill team ?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by CPTAMaverick View Post
    I've been in the warhammer/40k community since 2000, I left 40K a while ago after the mess Matt Ward made of it and i quit warhammer when AOS came out. All this factored with GW's crappy business practices made me walk away from the universe i loved.

However im being tempted to get back into it will Kill team on a small scale, ive always loved the adeptus mechanicus stuff and the skitari.

What are people's opinion on the new kill team ?
    Apparently no-one bought it.
    "Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!"

I've not had a chance to pick it up yet (LARP is a very expensive hobby. Seriously. You think GW is pricey? HA!) but I am intrigued.

So far, I personally know very little about it - whether it's just standard SMolhammer, or if it includes additional rules more suited to tiddly games.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Essentially the rules are unchanged from previous incarnations of Kill Team. 200 points max and limitations on vehicles, characters and armor saves.

Overall it was a chance to develop a much more robust ruleset for playing small games but I feel it missed the mark. For example, you still have to buy whole squads from codex entries. This means that you cannot, for example, have a kill team of three dire avengers, three striking scorpions, a swooping hawk all led by a warlock.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

That's a shame. But then, given how things are packaged now, it does cut down on wastage for people exclusively playing Kill Team.

For The Sad Git brigade with multiple and extensive armies, plenty of room to tinker
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    That's a shame. But then, given how things are packaged now, it does cut down on wastage for people exclusively playing Kill Team.

For The Sad Git brigade with multiple and extensive armies, plenty of room to tinker
    There are plenty of homebrew rules for Kill Team that I've used in the past. Also, for models with legacy 2nd edition rules, playing with the necromunda rules is always fun, if not a bit silly.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Veteran-Sergeant

I picked it up on Saturday, It contains a squad of Marines, a squad of Fire Warriors a mini rulebook and a 32 page booklet of the Killteam rules. I will be photocopying the 8 pages of actual rules out of the booklet (rest of it is fluff and the 6 scenarios) for my other buddies to build their Killteams. If you play Marines or Tau and don't have a copy of the rules then I guess the set is worth the money, but with such a small rulebook for Killteam I suspect it will start showing up on the Internet pretty soon.

Chapter-Master

Just picked it up. It's ok but as Defenstratus pointed out you have to buy full squads. I guess it's to prevent someone from just buying a special or heavy weapon trooper without the squad but I would really prefer the rules to allow you to buy individual models vs squads.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves