BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drop 'Crons

Oh, and not to pick on you chumbalaya, but you asked how the mono's deal with armour "glance it to death" you do realize the mono shoots a S9 ordanance, which helps double your chance of penetrating armour, but the hole at the center of the template counts as AP1. Against a L. Raider you have a 1/3 shot of glancing, 1/3 shot of penetrating, and if you pen., you have a 50-50 shot of wrecking it, doesnt seem so bad to me. Now Im sure your a swell guy so if you ever come to Madison area come to the Last Square and Ill let you have a shot @ the drop crons, you might be surprised. Who knows maybe I can convert you to being a Necron fan.

I might have to dust off my Necrons and try this. <shrug> who knows, it might be fun....

Brother-Captain

I'm actually quite the happy go lucky fella. I care a lot about the competitive side of 40k and really wish people would wise up and start playing good armies (or at least using their crappy armies well ). The majority of my games are friendly, just throwing together a fun themed list or whatever I have lying around, but when it's money time I don't mess around.

Unit counters isn't just theoryhammer, that's how tournies work. Flamers are crucial in 5th edition with cover to prevalent and many ways to get bad guys bunched up nicely, as are any weapons that ignore cover. Boosting scarabs mean nothing to flamers, who not only ignore their 2+ save, but also do double wounds! Bloodcrushers are garbage exactly because they can't handle Dreads, very little in the Daemon army can handle vehicles at all for that matter, which is why it's so bad (that and their stupid deployment rules). If you don't know what units counter yours and how to counter the counter, you've got problems.

The Monofail has its neat pie, until you realize it has to choose that or its teleporter and even then S9 is still not very reliable against AV14. 6 to pen, 4+ to destroy, or 5 to glance and 6 to destroy. Bad odds for a single shot. So they can't kill high AV, and if up against tons of light AV they can only destroy 3 at a time. And even if they all focus on popping a single Raider, you don't get to re-roll WBB or teleport dudes and get punished.

Drop Crons would be a fun army, like my foot Orks or any Daemon list, but I wouldn't be caught dead bringing it to a tourney.

Also, call outs are lame, try again.

Personally i have seen an army of 3 full squads of scarabs, 3 full squads of tomb spiders with scarabs in each, and the required Lord and 20 warriors. The army killed, but not because of the army list, but because people make smart choices like not charging a unit that dies against flamers against the very thing, the point of the army is to have to make the opposite choose what to kill, because odds are they are going to die, but due to the WWB nature of the army they have to commit a lot of fire to make sure they stay dead, leaving other units safe.

I mean sure Fire your Tanks into the scarabs, that will only let the Immortals and the Monoliths have free range of options, or focus on the Monoliths and the warriors, the little ones will die easy and the monolith may go down but its easy to replace and their are more warriors to be killed. Finally go after the Immortals, ignore the scarabs, and the warriors and monoliths and lose objectives or get over run by fire & swarms.

Consider the fact that some people play an army for fun, and going to an tournament with a "sub par" list just to screw with people who don't expect it is fun. I personally play necrons regardless of how crummy the Codex is in the new rules, i can still win if i play well and make good choices on the table, list has little to do with it. The game is played on the table and in the Dice, not in the list and Codex.

Brother-Captain

Yeesh, you'd have to be playing a brain-damaged ape to win with that, or have weighted dice.

People will use what they want in a friendly setting, that's kinda the point. In a tourney, bringing a weaker list isn't going to throw good players off, it's a gift. By all means go ahead if you are confident enough in your abilities, the player wins the game, not his list. But, between players of comparable skill, the good list wins every time unless the dice screw him over.

I think we can all confer that necron players must be more and more caluclulating in 5th ed, in which case this drop cron list is very difficult to talk tactics about considering it should be played situationally.

I've seen lists like this work. I don't think you really realize how tough deepstriking liths are, especially counting as moved at cruising speed, giving them excellent defence against melee attackers.

One key point about drop crons is they are resistant to phase out considering the enemy will have less time to kill enough 75% crons. Even more so, the necron player will be able to position the warriors/liths to be outta harms way.

If everything deepstrikes well and the cron player is able to start leaping warriors in and out of each monolith, makes for not only a very confusing rest of the battle, but a near constant pour of rapid fire and particle whips.

Some of the most competitive drop crons lists I've seen have made use of a large unit of scarabs, and destroyer units held in reserve to support the incoming warriors/liths.

I assure you all, drop crons are a force to watch out for.

I care a lot about the competitive side of 40k and really wish people would wise up and start playing good armies (or at least using their crappy armies well ).
    Whoa! watch out what you say. someone could go out and ard boyz with SoB next season, anything is possible and most lists are viable in the hands of a good player. Despite some lists having inherit disadvantages in 5th ed due to the weight of the codex stack, people have been able to make things work just as well as ever. Try not to be so blind when you make such rediculously arrogant accusations.

But, between players of comparable skill, the good list wins every time unless the dice screw him over.
    Do you even hear yourself? That is certainly NOT the case; there are so many other factors that play into it than that. jeez, every gaming group should have a clown like you.
    Last edited by Redhanded; 08-11-2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: anti-double post

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Redhanded View Post
    I think we can all confer that necron players must be more and more caluclulating in 5th ed, in which case this drop cron list is very difficult to talk tactics about considering it should be played situationally.

I've seen lists like this work. I don't think you really realize how tough deepstriking liths are, especially counting as moved at cruising speed, giving them excellent defence against melee attackers.

One key point about drop crons is they are resistant to phase out considering the enemy will have less time to kill enough 75% crons. Even more so, the necron player will be able to position the warriors/liths to be outta harms way.
    Necrons players have to play smarter by default, but there's only so much they can do within the limitations of the Codex.

Monoliths are tough, but they are easy enough to ignore and go after the meat of the army. All those points sunk into Monos are points wasted, as you're better off getting more Necrons or units that can actually do some damage and threaten high AV.

You say resisant to Phase Out, I say bots coming in piecemeal to get killed that much faster.

If everything deepstrikes well and the cron player is able to start leaping warriors in and out of each monolith, makes for not only a very confusing rest of the battle, but a near constant pour of rapid fire and particle whips.
    If you teleport, you get no particle whip. And for all that teleporting stuff, you get a bunch of bolter shots. How exactly is that scary? Lots of competitive armies have mobility in spades, so even teleporting around isn't going to be a problem. And even if you can't destroy the Monos, just surround them with combat troops so the portal can't be used and you get to flail away with your powerfists (lol).

Some of the most competitive drop crons lists I've seen have made use of a large unit of scarabs, and destroyer units held in reserve to support the incoming warriors/liths.
    Destroyers are always a good addition, maxing out on them >>> Monofails any day. Scarabs make for a nice tarpit, but they won't be destroying vehicles any time soon.

I assure you all, drop crons are a force to watch out for.
    lol no

Whoa! watch out what you say. someone could go out and ard boyz with SoB next season, anything is possible and most lists are viable in the hands of a good player. Despite some lists having inherit disadvantages in 5th ed due to the weight of the codex stack, people have been able to make things work just as well as ever. Try not to be so blind when you make such rediculously arrogant accusations.
    You do know SoB is really good right? Player skill is always the main factor, but playing a gimped army like Necrons or Tyranids has you at a disadvantage against better armies.

Do you even hear yourself? That is certainly NOT the case; there are so many other factors that play into it than that. jeez, every gaming group should have a clown like you.
    No, I don't hear myself type (unless you count click-click-clack ). Personal attacks too eh, guess you're done making an argument, weak as at may have been. With players of equal skill, dice and lists tend to determine results. The guy playing Failcrons will lose to the guy playing Marines, IG or Eldar unless some stupid 'Ard Boyz-esque scenario comes into play or the dice feel like being jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post

No, I don't hear myself type (unless you count click-click-clack ). Personal attacks too eh, guess you're done making an argument, weak as at may have been. With players of equal skill, dice and lists tend to determine results. The guy playing Failcrons will lose to the guy playing Marines, IG or Eldar unless some stupid 'Ard Boyz-esque scenario comes into play or the dice feel like being jerks.
    Even still depending on the scenarios the Necrons are too slow to get into position to grab things or even contest it. Monoliths don't have the ability to make that last turn objective grab....

Destorys give you mobility and that is what Necron's need. Actually the only thing that might play great into Necron's is Kill points but you can't make a mistake and you have to mass fire just on one unit to kill it and if the opponent is mech... your up the creek hoping for luck on hitting that very far right of the bell curve.

Well Chumbalaya you are entitled to your opinion, but I dont know how much I can believe you when you say Bloodcrushers are garbage. Also, that Deamons arent competetive, did you see some of the 'ard boyz results, deamons qualified in several semi-finals. This thread was for someone curious about trying drop crons, anyone can go on a thread and look at a list and tear each unit apart but it does nothing to further the game. When people try odd lists a lot of times they find situations that they would never have expected and they learn something new. When I fought @ ard boyz vs a demon army my scarabs glanced its cc arms off and my mono contested the center objective and the other player had no way of knocking it off. Drop crons are viable, and fun, and that is the point of 40k, not to tear players lists apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    Necrons players have to play smarter by default, but there's only so much they can do within the limitations of the Codex.
    With players of equal skill, dice and lists tend to determine results. The guy playing Failcrons will lose to the guy playing Marines, IG or Eldar unless some stupid 'Ard Boyz-esque scenario comes into play or the dice feel like being jerks.
    Wtf? That's like saying "my car will get me to where I want to go unless the engine decides to crap out". Way to make a horribly objectionable comment that makes you seem like an idiot.

No two people are of equal skill. I've seen 10 year veterans make the dumbest mistakes in a game, and I've seen the greenest noob make some of the most brilliant plays. The game is 90% chance, 8% generalship, and 2% army. Give an expert player a "crappy" army and I will almost guarantee he will either give you a run for your money or slaughter you outright.

Guess I should comment on the actual thread:

Drop Crons seems like it would be a ridiculously fun army. Either that or horribly powerful, I'm not sure which.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast