BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Primer issues

Default Primer issues

Hey all- quick question here. Anybody else notice the Krylon primers fail to adhere properly to metals? I've been using the Krylon matte black primer for the last several months and have gotten consistently bad results on metals- plastics are fine, but on metal minis it just rubs off. I've experimented with washing the figs more thoroughly, adjusting relative humidity/temp levels, and applying multiple coats, and it just doesn't seem to matter- the primer simply won't reliably adhere.
    Anybody else having this problem? Any work-arounds? Otherwise I'm gonna go back to the GW primer for metal figs.
    -Athanor

Battle-Brother

are you using Krylon Fusion? it's primarily made for plastics, but i'm sure i've used it on metals, with some success. i've been using cheap Color Place black and white spray paint, i've experimented with other cheaper alternatives to GW. most work well, so try a few different things. hope that helped a bit.

Battle-Brother

I have never bought a good can of Krylons black primer, there's just something wrong with it. I've tried every primer known to mankind and I use Bondo EZ Touch black primer. It's cheap, fast drying and it sticks to anything I've sprayed it on. Plus it has a directional nozzle on it. Usually you can find it in the auto section of Ace Hardware.

If you keep getting bad results, why do you keep using it?