BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Warlords

Brother-Captain

Default Warlords

I probably should have mentioned it earlier but I attended the Warlords event at Warhammer World last weekend (10-11th Sept). This was GWs first AoS matched play event. It had 100 places and sold out in less than a day b

It was the first time I'd played Matched play, I'm more of a narrative sort of guy. Although that wasn't a problem even in matched play AoS feels very narrative and all the armies play like they feel in the fluff.

Needless to say I finished well down the tables but had an absolute ball. I didn't face an army I couldn't have beaten if I'd been a better player. No one beat me through list building or exploits they were just better players.

Warhammer World runs a great event. It's a awesome place to play a few games. Superbly painted scenery, an amazing castle backdrop to the hall and even a Forgeworld retail shop (oh yes)

A few things I learnt were;

Matched play works and is probably more balanced that what they've done before (certainly more balanced than 40K)

What you do with a unit on the table is much more important than what it does on your list.

Large units are best deployed in blocks, especially if they are going to get charged.

7 1/2 hours of Wargaming in one day is actually quite a lot.

I rather like big tournaments.

The big tournament mechanic actually suits me rather well. My available time play is close to nonexistent so being able to block out a weekend every so often helps me get a good stretch of games in.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I love the tournaments at WHW. Been to as many as possible over the last few years. Way back to 6th ed 40k. Met some people who are absolute gems down at these events. (the bar opening early is a god send to rid yourself of the pre night out hangover) I followed the Warlords event on the live stream as much as possible over the weekend and really loved the coverage.

It is actually the reason I am branching into AoS.

you do get some right WAAC trumpets there occasionally and I am not a massive fan of the new 40k system of Fav game winning. so seeing warlords go back to the winning games format pleases me greatly and I will be looking at going to one of these in the future. (read - When I have a army sorted and painted to a decent level)

Really glad you enjoyed it. Long may you return.

The staff at WHW are amazing too I think. you know, just in case some read this...

Brother-Captain

I certainly hope to return. The staff were excellent and they really make you feel you're taking part in a special event.

I know it's a little controversial some times but I think the " fully painted and based" rule really helps the event.

I'm really enjoying Matched Play atm, and the streams they ran of Warlords looked pretty excellent. If I didn't have so many non-GW models in my Death force, I'd definitely be up for going. (I could probably fudge a list of GW models though.)
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    I know it's a little controversial some times but I think the " fully painted and based" rule really helps the event.
    Not controversial at all bud. I agree and feel it should be mandatory. It really completes the tournament knowing everyone's armies will be well painted and finished. Some may not be the best standard but you know there has been effort put in to them at least. (I mean myself in this, I am not the best painter but I feel all mine are a level higher than just tabletop when I go to a GW event as I pout that extra leg in for them)

Brother-Captain

I agree. I'm no great artist myself and the majority of my army is basecoat, shade and a bit of dry brushing on the weapons/armour still it looks a whole lot better than unpainted🙂. Though it does give much better results on the new models given the greater level of detail

CoffeeGrunt I didn't know you were giving AoS a go. Did the General's handbook convince you?
    Last edited by grimmas; 09-16-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grimmas View Post
    CoffeeGrunt I didn't know you were giving AoS a go. Did the General's handbook convince you?
    More than a go, I've got 2K of it now, haha. Yeah, it was the Handbook that did it for me, the game is surprisingly well-balanced now, and a lot of fun with my usual opponents. Plus I'm really loving painting Death, a very different palette to my usual stuff and fun to model.
    Read the above in a Tachikoma voice.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGrunt View Post
    More than a go, I've got 2K of it now, haha. Yeah, it was the Handbook that did it for me, the game is surprisingly well-balanced now, and a lot of fun with my usual opponents. Plus I'm really loving painting Death, a very different palette to my usual stuff and fun to model.
    My apologies you've got a hobby thread about your Army. It's looking good as well.