BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoRedPanda View Post
    Mmmmm, holotanks as fast attack choices make me a happy panda.
    Woah, wait, is it fast attack... not heavy support?

That's kind of a huge difference in how valuable the vehicle is to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    ... it has good strength, it's large blast, it's not ordnance (IE the vehicle can move and fire), it pins (from barrage, IIRC), it's rending, it's twin-linked, it does damage in the enemy turn AFTER the shot is fired if the enemy wants or has to move, and its special ability works on vehicles as well as infantry.

It's a friggin' NIGHTMARE. How is this not good enough?
    You missed the part where it always hits side armor.
    And cover is from the center of the template

Abbess Sanctorum

Yeesh, you're right...

This thing is NASTY. It'll always be the first thing I go after if I face up against it....
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

You forgot the 12" minimum range. The range is actually 12-72" which doesn't seem like a big deal, but I thought I should point it out. It's still a Heavy Support choice IIRC

Yes I read the rules and I think the thing is AWESOME! The rule for the difficult and dangerous terrain is called "Monofilament Wire" and when you hit units under the template you put a marker down next to that unit and on the following turn they count as moving through difficult, dangerous terrain. This implies that it can both affect multiple units, including vehicles.

Much better than a Fire Prism, if you ask me! Sure, it might lack the AT punch since it's AP -, but the amount of damage it can do to ANY infantry can be devastating, especially in combination with other elements in the Eldar codex. This does provide the Eldar with some much needed anti-horde support. I think what makes the Night Spinner so valuable isn't the initial damage, but the moving through difficult, dangerous terrain can be devastating.

Abbess Sanctorum

Yes, but that's not entirely an issue, as the tank can move 6" and fire anyway. Actually twelve inches I think, because it's a Skimmer.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Yes, but that's not entirely an issue, as the tank can move 6" and fire anyway. Actually twelve inches I think, because it's a Skimmer.
    You mean 12" because it's Fast.

Fly Lord

Yeah,I think a single spinner going to be a staple in my armies. What I like more than anything is the movement effects on enemy units. Basically anything that degrades,or even makes the opposing player have to think about not moving, further improves the Eldar army's mobility. Being able to move 12" and fire that thing trying to clip multiple units should be enough to degrade the critical parts of the bad guy army you don't want to move.
    Last edited by Bigred; 05-26-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: splelling
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

I think another thing that makes the tank interesting that I just realized is that even if you scatter off of a vehicle, there might still be a chance of some damage because of it's rending capabilities, potentially glancing AV 12 even with just a partial (slim chance, but still worth noting). This means that firing into clumps of transports can serve a dual purpose with both the potential for immobilization from dangerous terrain but there's an odd chance of damaging more than just your primary target! Granted, I would much rather shoot at exposed infantry, but if there's nothing but a rhino wall, it means that I might do more than my opponent is expecting
    Last edited by whitestar333; 05-26-2010 at 05:55 PM.

I hate this thing the more I think of it.

It clips my hormagaunt unit. If I move/run/assault the next turn (which hormagaunts are known to do) I could loose almost 46% of my unit.

I wonder, would 2-3 of these be overkill? If you replace your fire Prisms with Nightspinners you lose AP and high strength, hurting against MEQs and vehicles, but I do believe the rending and movement impairment could make up for it in a list tailored for such a situation. Giving your other slots high-S and low-AP weapons and keeping HS for horde and movement control. However, gunline armies could just stand still and bring the Nightspinners down...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast