BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Ashnaile here are a couple of things I would consider for your list:

1) Tyranid Primes NEED a weapon. Even just giving them Dual Boneswords and Scything Talons increases their killy-ness dramatically.

2) The one thing in the list that doesnt really make a whole lot of sense to me is the Podding unit of Dev Gants. 19 guys MIGHT do a bit of damage they drop in, but if they arent near any of your regular synapse they will get freaking hosed. All someone will have to do is 4 wounds and they chances of them breaking are really good. Another thing to consider is you miss out on all the great Synergy of keeping them near the Tervigon. I personally would just double the amount of these guys by giving them flesh borers and remove the pod.

3) As far as your fexes go I would give them twin Linked MC Devs. It's only 10 points more then what you have and it gives them two roles, one which they are retardedly effective in. 24, twin linked str 6 shots per turn is amazing. They are also almost as killy in hand to hand. And to answer "Pil" the reason you attach the Prime to a unit of two Carnifexs is he will be great for wound allocation and making sure they are within Synapse range and do what you want them to. Two Carnies with MC Devs and a Prime is an awesome mini deathstar unit. If you give the prime a deathspitter and dual boneswords with adrenal glands you now have a unit that gets 27 Str 5-6 shots a turn and a model that strikes with 5 Init 6, str 6, insta killing power weapon hits then followed by 10 str 9 MC hits, and since the Carnies are in majority your prime gets wounded as if he is T6 instead of T4 if he is with teh warriors.

I also think that saying if you take a Venomthrope in your army makes you a bad player is a pretty silly thing to say. So far in 5th ed I have won 2 major tournies and always placed in the top half for the ones I havent won and I take a unit of two venomthropes and they ALWAYS are awesome. You should try them out, you might be surprised (key point...target saturation is your friend )
    Last edited by Ghoulio; 05-29-2010 at 09:17 PM.

I'm sorry but your local meta playing sub par lists doesnt make venomthropes good.

As for point 1, yes i could give the primes weapons, but their only purpose is wound allocation and giving cover saves to their unit of death.

2. Well yes synapse could be a problem with the dev gaunts, unless the trygons around, think ill play around on ab with their points, that or keep them as is and just walk them on with mycetic coming down to try to box in vehicles for mawloc instagibbing.

Like i said earlier, you caan build a list around venomthropes, but its still going to be a bad list because it has less hive guard.

Sure, if your local meta is poor and cant afford to mechup, go with that venomthrope list, but its still subpar with a bad foc selection.

Cover saves arent hard to get in 5th edition, wasting an elite slot to get something thats retardedly easy tog et already is kinda iffy imho ....

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by ashnaile View Post
    I'm sorry but your local meta playing sub par lists doesnt make venomthropes good.
    So because you, personally, don't like it, it can't possibly ever produce results for anyone, and if it does then obviously their opponent was completely incompetent?
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chapter-Master

Yes, Venomthropes are not sub-par.

As with most of the Tyranid list, venomthropes are a distraction unit. They grant many bonuses to the Bugs, not just cover saves. And they grant auto cover saves to Monsterous Creatures, which have a hard time getting cover saves.

Im not saying the unit itself, In a vacuum is bad.

But if you take a venomthrope in an actual game its hurt your list, as there are better choices for elites handsdown.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by ashnaile View Post
    Im not saying the unit itself, In a vacuum is bad.

But if you take a venomthrope in an actual game its hurt your list, as there are better choices for elites handsdown.
    That's pretty damned subjective statement.

Are you saying the 1750 list I played yesterday with only 2 Hive Guard should have lost, even though I tabled my opponent on turn 4? Oh ****, I left an elite FOC slot empty, therefore I suck?

Hive Guard are good, but they aren't everything. If I was running a 2500 list with multiple Monstrous Creatures I might actually give a slot to two Venomthropes. Lord knows the cover save is nice and they are a nice distraction for a round or two of shooting.

Hive Guard are great at popping light armor and transports and non-venerable dreadnoughts, but really that is about it (well, killing Raveners and Warriors, but that is another topic.) With the abundance of ranged high S low AP weaponry, a 5+ cover save really isn't looking too bad. Against most armies with that kind of firepower, you are looking at Armor 13-14, which is really rough for the Hive Guard. Take 3 Zoe's, 3 Hive Guard, 2 Venomthropes and supplement your anti-armor with a few carnifexes and you'll do fine.

Also, above all else: you asked to to C&C your list. That is what we are doing. Don't ask us for an opinion and then shove it back in our face. That's not nice, yo.

Chapter-Master

Didn't you know that you lost?
    I mean, YOU must have been tabled by turn 4-- you only 2 Hive Guard and left open a FOC!

As said vsing bad lists or bad players sure, go try to win ard boyz with your venomthrope list and be massacred every game ...

Hive guard are good at more than light transport killing ... IDing nobz, meq chars, piercing fnp, oh ... and never getting shot if your store/venue can actually afford decent terrain.

As for tabling your opponent on turn 4 oh wow good job? Play a terrible army/player and you table them? For all we know you vsed 6x 20 gretchin with flashgitz ork army led by a weirdboy....

go fight a 20 chimera chassis ig army and table them on turn 4 with your venomthropes lol ...
    Last edited by ashnaile; 05-30-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Chapter-Master

sooo....

Why are you asking for advice from us, considering you already know what you are doing?

Veteran-Sergeant

Wow, not very often you see people ask for advice, then when someone gives them advice they respond by insulting them. Sorry to burst your bubble but the meta game where I live isnt "sub par". I get the same level of Chimera spam mech guard lists and Vulkan lists as everywhere else. Just because I play a different style then you doesnt mean I have no idea what I am talking about. Telling someone if they put a 55pt model in their army they will AUTOMATICALLY lose is ignorant and very misinformed.

I have to agree with Tynskel. Why are you asking people for advice in the first place since you already know everything about this book that has been out for 5 months?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast