BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Alternatives to Kroot? / Tactics to dig out dug-in units?

Hi BoLS,

I used to play tau in 4th ed and I'm fairly new to 7th.

I'm now playing Tau - Farsight Enclaves and I've been finding that I come a cropper later in the game when people start to dig in any remaining troops to stop getting tabled.

These dug in troops are normally in difficult places to get to for my fairly static FW gunline.

There are other solutions to my problem but as it stands for my assaulting needs, I use kroot.

The more I play them the more I realise how terribly average they are at everything. Granted they can infiltrate. but a S3 T3 6+ model does not last long in 40k.

They are billed as the assault unit of tau (at least in 4th ed), I find this laughable.

I've been trying to think of a unit/formation/detatchment that I could incorporate in Kroot's stead to fulfill some of the following.

1. Be able to mop up remaining units Turn 3 onwards. Preferably Deepstrike/outflank and have some manner of negating cover saves.
    2. Can act as Speed bump to assaulting units, whether this be DSing terminators or Ork boyz running at me
    3. If needed can sit on an objective.

Has anyone else though about Kroot alternatives? Has anyone thought of or use any good tactics to deal with dug-in troops?

Any help you could give me would be most appreciated!

Hmmm, not overly familiar with Tau, but from experience playing gun-line guard, it sounds like you may be giving up a lot of board control by staying in your static gunline. I find that a few units of carapace veterans in chimeras to move after objectives early game helps, even if I lose the transport, the vets usually get to the objective and dig in.

So maybe try a pair of breacher teams in devilfish? rush them to the closest objectives and force the enemy to make you leave rather then vice versa. maybe combine with stealthsuits? scout move the suits to the objectives, then counter attack with breachers when the enemy comes to force the suite off.

If you don't mind getting competitive I would recommend a crisis commander droneball, 9 markerlights that hit on 2+ doesn't matter how dug in they are if their cover does nothing, follow that up with a couple of crisis teams armed with plasma rifles to take our marines or with burstcannons to deal with hordes