BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Would an all terminator army work?

Well, pretty much what the title says, I'm thinking of starting Space Marines with a nearly all terminator army.
    Not gonna go into the points really because im not sure yet.
    Lysander- 200
    Scout squad- 75
    Scout squad- 75
    Terminator squad +5-400
    Terminator Assault Squad-400
    Assault Squad + 5- 175

That's just a rough list, it's not 1500 yet but the points not spent would be spread around to help with some Anti-Tank stuff, like a Cyclone missile launcher in the terminator squad, and some melta bombs in the assault marines.

Brother-Captain

If you want to play with a mostly-terminator army, I'd recommend using either Codex: Dark Angels or Codex: Space Wolves. Both of those codices allow you to use Terminators as troop choices.

Yeah but lysander is pretty awesome, Space wolves might have a better HQ/Character in combat but i don't really like their models too much.
    And if i do take him, another army i wanna do is three thunderfire cannons, three sternguard squads and 2 Tactical squads. With all the shooting in the world. So he'd be like *3+ Cover save!* on all my stuff. which is awesome.

Brother-Captain

Someone tried something similiar agaisnt me once in a tourney: he took skrike, and 2 scouts for his troops and 3 largish units of thunderhammer/stormshield.
    I played IG, 1750. Annilation/Spearhead
    I won.
    He only managed to kill 1 squad of mine...but then again he was afraid to deep strike with them.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Librarian

Absolutely they work, maybe not always with Vanilla SM as they can't take them for troops but they definitely work. Assault Marines with Storm Shields are the best as they are tough as nails, and they work best in tandum with Drop Dreads or Land Raiders. It might be worth taking a master of the forge so you can take your Dreads and your Terminators, but I could definitely see that kind of a list working using Vanilla SM's

Veteran-Sergeant

I vote no - i think that 'balanced' or 'power' list competitive players would agree that Termie heavy armies don't shake it. i used to have great fun with my terminator heavy 4th ed army - but the difference is that now terminator squads don't pump out enough fire power (I miss the old rending rules and the ability to take veteran skills and two heavy weapons!) and while terminator close combat squads are impressive they still cannot win games alone- think 5 thunder hammer termies v 20 orks in combat for example.

If you want to win, having 2 really fragile scout squads who scream 'kill me!!' coupled with terminators who are really slow post teleport (allowing you to be out -maneuvered by eldar or mech generally) will cause you real problems. Scoring objective missions will be a nightmare.

Alternatively - Land raiders make terminators sexy, sexy death delivery systems. But points wise you are really pushing it to have more than 2 Lr's and 2 terminator squads -as it comes close to 1k with no scoring units. Again not really viable.

Lysander - yeah, he the man- but - expensive on top of your other expensive units - I think he is the same cost as another terminator assault squad. I would question whether you need him and multiple terminator units as they fill the same role.
    I would suggest that a termy librarian with null zone would be a greater force multiplier - re rolling invulnerable saves as your units pack alot of powerfist/sword /lightning claw/ thunder hammer attacks- soften the threat from dameons / seer councils / opposing storm shield units - also a way to inject mobility with gate as another option...

From the army list ideas you have described you seem to have a real sense of style / theme which I dig but... the effort of painting and using an army that does not mesh with the general pick up and play rules I believe will prove frustrating.

I suggest taking your other army list army and bolt on a termy squad with LR and make it the hammer to your fire power anvil.

Now planet strike ----- Terminator heavy armies are Immense. That is if you can get a game.

I've run out of wine now so I'll take this as an opportunity to stop typing and refill the glass.
    Last edited by ggg; 05-26-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    -Keep it real-

I like your suggestions, and if there was a tourny or campaign going on locally i'd definetly do something similar. I borrowed my friends SM codex and looking through it it makes a huge contrast to my other armies.. (IG, WH)
    But, as a friendly game I think i'd wanna go for a hilariously luck dependent list, (dropping straight into enemy lines without homers..)
    And there's always that whinny guy who gives up if you do enough damage to his army.. imagine his face when 20 terminators rip through his tau gunline!. . (He always puts fire warriors in the middle, battlesuits on one side, hammerhead on the other, and broadsides wherever tanks are.)

It most assuredly can work.

As stated previously, the Vanilla SM codex doesn't really do well with it due to the non-scoring nature of their terminators.

Despite it being old the DA codex does make for a very good terminator army (a good friend of mine does this). He typically runs 4-5 squads of Termies, Belial, 1-2 land raiders and 1-2 deep-striking Ven Dreads in 2k.

Ensure you get a fair mix of TH/SS guys and TWLC guys in a squad (usually 2 of each) and a 5th with an Assault Cannon. This ensures that your terminators always have SOME shooting potential but are still good at what their known for.

Alternatively you could go Space Wolves. The real trick here is to abuse a) the character's abilities (prefered enemy + wolf claws = re-roll hits and wounds) and b) to take advantage of the ability to have I4 weapons and storm shields. It can make for a very tough army. Another neat trick is to take a nice cheap 5pt combi-weapon on a few termies per squad, this can add virtually any utility to a squad.

Yeah, there are lots of possibilities. Just don't use the vanilla book...

Veteran-Sergeant

I recently made a Space Wolf Terminator army with 13 figures in the 1500 point list and 14 in the 1750 list.

To my delight and surprise the 1500 point list won its first outing against a Tau gunline.
    There are drawbacks but there are drawbacks to every list. It was a really fun list to play and relaxing too cos , well mainly cos of such a short turn phase for me, it doesnt take long to move 13 models and fire with 6 of them. The game winner for me was Njall and Id recommend taking a termie librarian with your army.

I went with a 50% rule on squad composition for stormsheilds. So in a 10 man assault squad there would be 5 stormsheilds and 5 with lightning claws.

The main point is its fun, I went into it thinking Id get the bejesus knocked out of me for the first few games till Id learned how to used the army.If its something you want to do and winning isnt everything, then go for it and good luck.

Veteran-Sergeant

In my experience they don't do well in tournaments due to the low model count. You could really suffer facing a horde (150+ orks with no vehicles?) or a highly mobile army (vehicle heavy eldar/dark eldar?) that doesn't engage in combat and just kills your scoring units at range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast