BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran-Sergeant

I have a decent sized Deathwing Army. Terminator Captain (Counts as Belial), Terminator Librarian, 25 Deathwing Terminators, and 2 Landraiders (all of this fully painted) and I could take a third land raider (unpainted) if I needed it. I usually play against Eldar or Tyranids. When I go full Deathwing, I usually don't do too well. But that is probably due to several factors.

1) I usually play the same guy over and over (my best friend) and we know each other's play style too well 2) I'm probably not as good at 40K as a lot of you (even though I've been playing since 2nd edition, go figure) 3) It doesn't seem to be as mobile of a force as I want/need it to be. My friends Eldar run circles around me. 4) my terminators seem to be wearing tinfoil instead of ceramite for armor (I roll an inordinate amount of 1's for saves with my terminators, so much, that my friend sometimes counts that in as a factor when he's attacking them....)

That said, I'd love to see my Deathwing do well, but as it stands they usually perform best when I'm playing a fairly high points cost game and they are supported by other units.

As a side note, I do like to deepstrike them a lot and that kills my terminators just as much as it doesn't.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Gooball View Post
    Would an all terminator army work?
    Maybe. It'd be rather like trying to cut a toothpick with a chainsaw.
    Welcome to overkill junction.
    To whom it may concern...
    BAALLOOOOGGGAAAA WHALE!!!

Chapter-Master

LOL at all the tourney talk.

Gooball, yes, a Terminator Army works. You need to have good experience as a general to use this army effectively, but eventually, you'll get the hang of playing such an elite army.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    LOL at all the tourney talk.

Gooball, yes, a Terminator Army works. You need to have good experience as a general to use this army effectively, but eventually, you'll get the hang of playing such an elite army.
    Buffo, you say tourney talk like it's a bad thing.

In any event, in my limited tournament experience I don't think an all terminator army would work as well as an army with terminators in it with a supporting cast of various other models. Having said that, of course, I'm defining doing well as, being competitive and having a good chance of winning games.

Most of my experience is from friendly games. And from my experience, all terminator armies haven't done well for me, well being defined as, being able to win games. However, I'm sure most people understand you can play games with all terminator armies and do well, if dong well is being defined as playing a game and having fun with your friends.
    Last edited by DarkAngelHopeful; 05-27-2010 at 11:42 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

Havent seen it done in new rules, but was thinking, how would this term/bike army work against horde armies, like orks or nids?

wouldnt they have too few models to really contest anything??

Veteran-Sergeant

You dont need to contest anything if you kill em all.

Id say the point of an army like this would be to see if you can, not to have a balanced take on all comers list.

My reasons for doing an all termie list was to have a cheap uber leet army that people would laugh at until the body count. Basicly its an excuse for me to be able to say "whos your daddy" if I win.

I've seen some good lists based off Black Templars surprisingly. Two assault cannons per squad, take the re-roll hits vow, minimum crusader squads with Multi-meltas/lascannons for tank busting and you're good to go. Struggles a little against hordes but concentration of force can help with that.

Chaplain

yes it can work but requires a lot of finesse and focus. I would definitely use the SW or DA codex. Mind you you can "Count -As" if you don't like the models (much like i don't for SW). It depends a ton on focusing your units to destroy the opposing units and not getting tied up in combat, while still avoiding being rapid fired to death (thank you tau). Sweeping flanks helps. transports are helpful, deep striking useful. Consider HQ combinations that don't require huge point sinks, like termie chaplains, or termie libbys. I'm a big fan of the teleporting gun shooting unit paired with a libby. while other units do it better than termies it's a possibility. Just remember no matter the 2+ save, forced to make enough rolls and you will fail eventually. It can be a very fun list.
    Officially abandoned a total RG army in light of a single custom marine army i can use for all codecies...what does that make me?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12