BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Captain

Default Lunar Landscape ... DONE

Finally done. Took forever, but that's mostly because I got distracted. This is a fully modular 6' by 4' lunar landscape battle board. There are 104 tiles. Each tile has 4 magnets that are intended to encourage cohesion with its neighbors. The magnets are tiny, and aren't strong enough to really force cohesion.

This is of the full board:

This is a detail shot, showing one of the big craters in detail:

This is a "Flier view" shot of some figures on the board:

And this is a "Troop level view" of the same figures on the board:

Last edited by Necron2.0; 09-24-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

That is a cool concept, and well executed. Must take ages to set up a new design though with that many tiles!
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Brother-Captain

It's not too bad - a bit like setting up for Settlers of Catan. I've numbered the tiles on the back, corresponding to this exact configuration. Once the board is down, it's a relatively simple matter to move individual features around.
    Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Fair enough. I can see it being great for some games set up around a lone lunar research station, or for an isolated relay station or things like that.
    In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, there is no time for peace. No respite. No Balance. There is only War.

Brother-Captain

That was the intent, although ... it could just be no-man's land. Most table-tops set up with green fields and idyllic hillsides. Battlefields only look that way on the first day of battle.

True, although based on the height of the crater walls from the low angle shot, it would be beneficial for games to have a degree of line-of-sight blocking terrain on the board.

That's pretty cool!
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Haighus View Post
    True, although based on the height of the crater walls from the low angle shot, it would be beneficial for games to have a degree of line-of-sight blocking terrain on the board.
    Well, yeah. That's true of any current battle board system. None of them are meant to be stand-alone. However, in this case I did positioned the figures to highlight the features of the board I made, not to illustrate an actual battle formation. If this were in an actual game, the figures would have been positioned differently. Two of the figures are out in the open. One figure was placed to accentuate the lip of the crater, and so has one leg fully exposed. One figure is inside the crater, against the far wall (again to accentuate the topography), and so is exposed due to geometry - it's a big crater after all (1 foot across, or roughly 32 centimeters). The remaining two figures have cover. Of those, one of them is half-way up the outside crater wall (this to show the stability of typical figures positions on the more uneven surfaces). The depth of the features on the board I've created are much, much deeper than anything commercially available (at least as far as I've seen). That being said, again this wasn't intended to be a one-and-done battle board system. This is the base. I've included enough flat tiles in the system to allow for the addition of other terrain features. Eventually I may create hill terrain pieces to interlock into the grid, but I haven't gotten there yet. Right now I have other things I'm working on.