BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Modelling Flying Buttresses

Hey everyone, I am currently attempting to model a large piece of terrain for some 40k games and I'd like to get some support on how to model a flying buttress that is larger than the ones provided in GW's kits. In my experience, cutting plasticard in arches is a pain and also foamcore is also difficult to work with to provide consistent looking cuts. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Banned

It might be more complicated than what you're looking for, but check out Hirst arts.

Veteran-Sergeant

I would go with a combination of plasticard and foam-core. Here are some tools that will help with consistent and clean cutting of foam core. [URL="http://www.foamwerks.com/"]FoamWerks[/URL]
    They are available at most hobby/craft stores.

maybe LEGO arches, beefed up with putty or card?

Chaplain

I just use the Pegasus Gothic buildings buttresses (6" height, extend out about 3 1/2" with a distinct lack of 'moar skullzor!'.)

Then again, I have more buildings made from these kits than from GW CoD sets.

Veteran-Sergeant

FoamCore isnt that hard - just make sure you make a good template and that your knife blade is very sharp - also change it regularly, oh and try not to crush the foamcore too much while working on it